Food Posioning

spindrift

First post here... I would like to say this is a fantastic game and my Dad and I have truly enjoyed it.

Our only real problem with the game is the high frequency of food poisoning... it seems that almost all our runs end with us dying because we ran out of antibiotics and there is no way to deal with the food poisoning (best run is 31 days). It's annoying when you have something like 94% condition cooked wolf meat that you eat and you get food poisoning.

This wouldn't actually be a problem if you didn't need antibiotics every time (unless we are missing something and you can just sleep it off).. considering in real life if you had food poisoning most of the time you can recover without treatment.

If this is posted in the wrong spot then sorry.. great game overall.

Agree, I've often wondered myself if there was some alternative way to deal with food poisoning. It's actually the only scenario where I "cheat" by restoring a saved game when I get food poisoning, because it's effectively a death sentence.

The game actually hints at some way of dealing with it - you'll see in the description it says something like "your condition will continue to deteriorate until you take antibiotics, the illness passes on its own, or you die" - but I've never been able to figure out how it can "pass on its own".

I'm really enjoying the game so far, but the food poisoning is the one thing that feels really off to me too. What would make more sense and would work with the game's existing mechanics, is for food poisoining to affect your fatigue as it currently does, your calorie bar by preventing you from eating anything whilst you're suffering, your thirst by doubling the rate at which you dehydrate (food poisoning is mostly dangerous due to dehydration from vomiting isn't it?) and your temperature by reducing your core body temperature over time, so even indoors you're likely to need to start a fire to keep warm.

So you can deal with it by taking an antibiotic and going to bed for 10 hours as now, or you can go shiver by the fire, drinking plenty of fluids, and resting between bouts of vomiting instead - so it's still potentially dangerous, especially if you get it whilst in a building that doesn't have a fire, but it's not the digital antibiotic/death system.

Agreed. Plus, the amount of antibiotics you can find is pretty much completely up the RNG gods. After searching almost all lootable locations of both maps I had only found one bottle of antibiotics as an item in the world (as in not looted from a container).

In real life I had food poisoning some months ago. It sucked what with the vomiting and diarhea, but I didn't die from it. Didn't take any pills, just chugged water after each "emptying" and avoided eating for a few days. After about a week from onset of symptoms I had almost completely recovered. So requiring antibiotics to avoid certain death seems both unfair and highly unrealistic.

It's kind of hard accepting an unfair certain death situation knowing that the "load" button is only a button press and a mouse click away. :P

Besides wolves this is the biggest balance issue right now and it comes down to chances once again. I play a video game and I expect to be able to make it based on my gameplay skillz instead of some throw of the dice. Some surprise is fine, but this is just stupid. I can't take chances when I eat some food which is in a bad condition already, because I always take chances when eating meat no matter what the condition is. After playing for two plus weeks there is hardly any processed food left and I have to eat mostly meat. As soon as I run out of antibiotics pure chance dictates my survival then. That is just horrible game design, because it is simply frustrating to have the game end the end game for me.

Agreed, here.

Having finished a 59-day run last night, I can say that the sandbox game effectively ends once you've used up your last dose of antibiotics. After that, no matter how much other gear, meat, water, wood, etc. you've piled up - no matter how set for long-term survival you are - you're basically already dead. It's just a matter of finding out which piece of meat is the one that will give you fatal food poisoning. That was what I faced at about 55 days; that's when I'd explored the last remaining house accessible on the two survival area maps, and knew that there was no more antibiotic to find anywhere. As soon as I hit that point, I knew that somewhere in my inventory was the piece of food that would kill me. After that, the game wasn't fun because there was no contest left - it was just a wait for the fatal meal.

I am highly in favor of some discussion I saw over on the Steam forums concerning making food poisoning a damage-over-time illness, but not a fatal one. It's a condition that should absolutely put a crimp in your efforts for the next few days by causing you to lose condition, dehydrate faster, and possibly also alter your ability to intake additional calories. There's still plenty of opportunity for that sort of effect to cause your death in conjunction with the results of other actions you take, so it will force hard decisions when there's actually still hope of making the right decision.

I'm all for a change to food poisoning. It should be possible to live through food poisoning without antibiotics. But how to make that possible is not so easy. IRL food poisoning can be overcome by lots of sleeping while keeping well hydrated by drinking a lot. This takes days, even a week. But you can't eat while you have food poisoning because everything you eat, you throw up.

And there's the problem with how to implement this in TLD. If you have to drink a lot and sleep for 3 days to get over the food poisoning, while also taking damage from the food poisoning, you'll die from starvation before those 3 days are up. Even if starvation is "put on hold" while you have food poisoning, you'd need to be at a good condition when you attract the food poisoning to survive it if you also loose condition from the food poisoning.

Like most people I really don't like how food poisoning works right now. Once the antibiotics are up, it's pretty much game over. It's just a matter of time. But I also think it's not so easy to come up with a better way that will give players a fair chance of surviving food poisoning without antibiotics while still making it something terrible to the player.

Drink lots of alcohol?

I know it's silly but alcohol is not only good as booze. It could prevent some food poisonings if you use it early enough.

Also vomitting => calory loss.

It is not supposed to become Puke Simulator 2015, just something to think about. That's how nature solved most problems, before antibiotics were invented.

That's also something everyone should think about, people did not normally die from food poisoning before we had antibiotics.

I am sure there are natual remedies. And among the tricks for prevention are: alcohol and spices, lots of spices. That's why they put so much spice into food in warm countries (Asia). It keeps the germs away. Even when you dry mushrooms, putting just a little bit of ground pepper in it is supposed to do the trick.

Archived