Placing objects/tools

sirey

Hi there,

Awesome game folks. Who knew I liked survival games? I didn't.

Anyway, apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't find it with search. I feel compelled to tell you all the circumstances of my first death, which is what is so cool about this game, but instead I will keep it short.

Sometimes I lose stuff. I would like to be able to place things from my inventory in the same way that I place a trap or my sleeping roll (can you do this already and I just don't know how?). This way I could leave my hatchet and knife on a table in the kitchen, rather than in a huge pile of junk on the floor when I dump 20 kilos of stuff before exploring a house. It seems strange that everything is so neatly organized on the shelves in Trapper's Homestead for example, but once I've picked something up my only options afterwards are dropping it on the ground or storing it in a box.

Just before this first death I lost my knife. I had to run around the houses at Coastal Highway I had been looting for days, trying to find which dark corner of a room I must have left it in. I'm still not sure that it didn't just vanish into thin air. The extra time spent in that Wolves Den got me eaten, and everything seemed to be going so well...

Welcome to the forum sirey. :)

Right now there is still an issue, where when you drop too much stuff too close to the wall, some of it may glitch through the wall and become inaccessible. So if you do drop all your things, try to do it in the middle of a room, not near a corner or wall.

Otherwise I totally agree, I would love to be able to place stuff back on shelves and tables. But at the moment, that would not be a viable option anyway, since the degradation rates from just dropping stuff on the floor are huge. So I wouldn't recommend storing anything outside of containers anyway.

It does not sound hard to do. The engine has all the physics and you can already "place" flares by throwing them against the wall. When I am bored and need something to cheer me up, I sometimes throw flares at corpses and such baloney.

But probably the team has many other, different things to do and will remain so for a long time. Or what would you say if the release of the new map would have been delayed to November 15th, because they first implemented item placement?

But I assume picking and placing items will come sooner or later.

Thanks Trandor. I didn't actually realise item degradation was worse on the ground. I was reading a guide when I first installed the game which I thought said a patch reduced item decay significantly whether on the ground or stored, and that apparently it didn't make much of a difference anymore, but he still stored his clothes anyway.

That brings up another thing on the to do list I suppose regarding inventory management. I'm thinking some "transfer all" buttons would be handy eventually. Transfer all tools to storage, transfer everything above a certain weight, etc... When you're looting upwards of 6 cabins in one area and each time you go inside taking off your clothes and storing all your heavy stuff, only to retrieve it again when you leave can be a bit tedious. All that toing and froing is what led to me losing my knife! =)

When you're looting upwards of 6 cabins in one area and each time you go inside taking off your clothes and storing all your heavy stuff, only to retrieve it again when you leave can be a bit tedious. All that toing and froing is what led to me losing my knife! =)

Why would you do that? Surely you lose in time what you save in calories. I don't bother taking off any clothes and I usually keep everything in the inventory, except what I leave behind for long-time storing or just decide to dump altogether.

I think a "transfer whole stack" would be very useful for matches, antibiotics etc. It would basically save 50% mouse clicks for every action, and that would be tremendous. Seriously how many times does one want to transfer 1 match?

Suggestion to "transfer all" would be useful too, in combination with the filters.

It could be nice to transfer "all clothes" (when you want to change) or "all food" or "all materials" when you want to sleep etc. Or really "all All", not likely but why not. It follows the same logic as you could do that before you go to sleep, then put on something for the night :)

A transfer all button would sure be handy.

I concur, I never drop all my things at the entrance, rather I find a place that I use as a base and leave everything behind that I don't need in the next 5h ingame hours and gather from other houses what I need and carry it back to my base. :P

Archived