Kôna - The Long Dark's Little Brother?

Have you seen this already? I bet you don't.

Kona - A Survival Adventure

[bBvideo 560,340:333j6a3u]

[/bBvideo]

Looks almost like TLD, with less simulation but more story. Graphics are very good, and it even has audio in French (I always anted to play a game in French).

Unfortunately the kickstarter is already over (they made their goal, but just barely), and I bet most people never heard of it. I did at least. Sad that they now have to try to make a game with 40,000$ while other people get 10 times as much for making potato salad.

I wouldn't be too much interested in the horror aspect (please not again), but I thought we TLD players could help them, because this is a game that should be made.

It does sound interesting though I am not into the horror aspects. But I always wanted to play a game in French, and this would be perfect. I also noticed that French games often have very nice graphics and imagination. Hopefully they can collect more funds. It seems to have been a very unfortunate campaign so far, just 40k. I would have pledged had I known of it earlier!

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but Nicko's comment reminded me that I bought into Kona a few months back and have been playing it off and on. It's going to be a great game when it's done. It's not really anything like The Long Dark though, at least not in my opinion. The winter theme is similar but the rest of the game plays differently. It's part survival, part open world, part puzzle and part narrative.

They've put a lot of work into finishing it up, and its going to be a great little narrative/survival title. It hits the 1970's Quebec feel pretty accurately.

I know the devs said earlier they've been re-recording some voice lines to be clearer and doing the finalizing now, but from what I played, it was pretty polished. It's just too bad it's such a relatively unknown game.

• 5 months later...
On 2016-11-30 at 1:43 PM, Felli said:

It's not really anything like The Long Dark though, at least not in my opinion.

No it's not. It's more of a mystery thing than anything. There's no survival aspect that I could tell. I never finished it either. Been waiting also for it's completion.

3 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

No it's not. It's more of a mystery thing than anything. There's no survival aspect that I could tell. I never finished it either. Been waiting also for it's completion.

It's complete now, and it's fantastic. It came out of Early Access last month! It's definitely more of a narrative storytelling/adventure than a true survival game. Keeping Carl's health (stress, temperature, etc) is really what gives people the impression it's a survival game.

That said, they did a great job putting it all together and I can hope the rest of the games in the series are just as good!

2 hours ago, Felli said:

It came out of Early Access last month! It's definitely more of a narrative storytelling/adventure than a true survival game. Keeping Carl's health (stress, temperature, etc)

I thought it did. Awesome! I wasn't sure if it was complete or just got an update like 'We Happy Few' keeps getting. There's another game I'm done playing until it's complete. So frustrating. You'll have a great game going with lots of great stuff that isn't always easy to get and then they drop an update on you that wipes your current play through. You have to start from day one again. Any update too, even just small fixes. I'll wait, lol. That kind of thing drives me bonkers. I just can't keep doing the same things over and over again.Thank God TLD was always backward compatible in sandbox. Up until this next update anyway, which I'm so ready for. Well, thanks for setting me straight. I'll definitely start Kona up again. As soon as I'm finished the games I've got going right now. Funny, I can't remember anything about keeping Carl's health in good condition. It's been awhile though.

Edit: Also, we say mystery and story driven, but we haven't a clue what Wintermute will be. August 1st can't come fast enough!

Archived