Flares - How do they work?

Filiokus

The use of flares is twofold; it can double as a light source, but mainly it is used to chase aggressive wolves away. The problem is that it is very unreliable, and it seems like the best course of action is to run away, if you have the capability to do so.

I find that most of the times I try to use a flare, it doesn't work, and I end up having to brawl the wolf, Mike Tyson-style, to get to safety.

How does the flare-mechanics work? It seems to me that waving it furiously in your hand, facing the wolf, while slowly backing away would be a smart way to resolve the situation (at least until the flare goes out, or more wolves show up).

I've tried to throw the flare at the wolf, but that just made it more pissed off and it called its wolf-buddies to come and feast on my soda-filled stomach.

So far the only practical use I've found for flares is to celebrate that I've survived another crappy day in cold-ass-mountain.

Yes, definitely. Flares as they are now have a success rate of scaring wolves away that makes them so unreliable, that I hardly ever use them.

But basically, the flare should work like a circle of protection, where the wolf doesn't come any closer to you than 4 or 5 meters. The way I use flares at the moment is to light them, throw them behind me, so that I walk past it when backing away from the wolf and lead the wolf to the flare, so he gets scared and runs of. Holding in the hand has done me little good in the past.

i've tried a flare four times now and i have yet to scare a wolf away, its just best to either avoid them or shoot them.

I just fight them, two at a time sometimes, not even sure what tool I use, I only see the fight screen for a fraction of a second. Only use bandages after a string of wins (usually 4 fights within 60 seconds to kill two wolves) and skipping on antiseptic as long as I can. Haven't shot a single wolf, actually haven't shot anything so far (30 days in) and I'm swimming in wolf meat. Just do it at 100% condition and with full mobility (leave the flares and other stuff at home), as it can get hairy sometimes and you need the speed. I was one of the people complaining about the wolf situation, but not because it's making the game hard, as it doesn't, it's making it silly. I want a BBC documentary, not an Alien movie with wolves and Liam Neeson in it.

In short, forget flares and forget the Left Mouse Button. Only tap RMB a few times and just before it gets on top of you, chase and repeat. I usually get 5% damage per attack, that's hardly end of days, could probably take on more than two per hunt.

i've tried a flare four times now and i have yet to scare a wolf away, its just best to either avoid them or shoot them.

I just fight them, two at a time sometimes, not even sure what tool I use, I only see the fight screen for a fraction of a second. Only use bandages after a string of wins (usually 4 fights within 60 seconds to kill two wolves) and skipping on antiseptic as long as I can. Haven't shot a single wolf, actually haven't shot anything so far (30 days in) and I'm swimming in wolf meat. Just do it at 100% condition and with full mobility (leave the flares and other stuff at home), as it can get hairy sometimes and you need the speed. I was one of the people complaining about the wolf situation, but not because it's making the game hard, as it doesn't, it's making it silly. I want a BBC documentary, not an Alien movie with wolves and Liam Neeson in it.

In short, forget flares and forget the Left Mouse Button. Only tap RMB a few times and just before it gets on top of you, chase and repeat. I usually get 5% damage per attack, that's hardly end of days, could probably take on more than two per hunt.

thanks for the tips, but I also have to wonder if that is how the game should be played, I mean we do need to protect ourselves from wolves but should we really be taking on wolves bare handed with up to 4 wolves within a minute? lol seems like a balance issue.

thanks for the tips, but I also have to wonder if that is how the game should be played, I mean we do need to protect ourselves from wolves but should we really be taking on wolves bare handed with up to 4 wolves within a minute? lol seems like a balance issue.

Exactly, it seems wrong to be literally surrounded by food in a survival game, food that actually runs at you, but when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. Shooting has become kind of pointless until you run out of antibiotics and antiseptics eventually, same goes for ammo, even cloth for bandages, so for now, until there's more content and it's more balanced (lot more crafting and hunting options), game is a bit exploit based and thus easy, even if the original number of wolves was kept.

I see it as a test bed for future features rather than actual game-play and I don't expect it to be fair, balanced or even entertaining. It still manages to keep me glued to the screen, so great job so far.

Well flares work great for me, I always scare the wolves, though perhaps it's how things are going for me. Never do I go outdoors when I'm too tired, always ensure my thirst and hunger are in check, and I try not to get to close to the wolf. Typically I stand about 20-30 feet away and throw a lit flare, it won't scare them off instantly in most cases, but they stand there growling all aggressive, I then walk slowly to pick up my flare and throw it again, every time I throw the flare the second time they run. If you'd like, I can make a video to show how I do it, I'll chase a wolf clear across the stage without issue, lol.

Edit: Btw, how do I get that steam early access tag? I feel left out ><

Archived