The need to urinate, take a dump or clean up?

Torqen

I am a bit puzzled as to why there is no hygienic system in the game. Surely there should be implemented some sort of way to getting rid of bodily fluids and waste. Maybe flys and maggots could appear on rotten flesh (once the temperature is sustained over a long period of time) ?  What about getting sick from rotten food and getting the blazing shits and heavy fluid loss, the need for more sleep?.. just a thought. No more explaining should be needed I guess ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hrrrch... this kind of discussion flares up time and again, and I would think that the majority of players do not want to simulate peeing and pooping in a game. For aesthetic reasons. And because survival is the epic story of the hunter-gatherer and not the story of the finder-of-the-best-time-and-place-pee-and-pooper.

B-but we can do it in ARK! 

We can also eat it in ARK...

And ark gets joked about because of it.

(Lol please don't hate me, your request is valid, I'll just justify why it may not belong in the long dark)

I like to think that things such as hygene, picking ip water bottles and pots and pans are done outside of the gameplay to keep us doing more meaningful tasks in our short range of daylight if that makes sense. If it takes a few moments to pee, poop , clean, and pick up water bottles every day etc, than that actually translates to more than a few minutes in-game time that could be used for more exciting things like hunting, crafting, exploring, taking screenshots, and looting.

Also, the long dark is a mature storytelling engine that is set in a stark, desolate island that was stricken by disaster and neglect for decades before a geomagnetic event took hold and made things even worse. The game is tailored to fit that. It is not very much so if you can shoot down a wolf and then proceed to, i dunno, poo on their corpse or something.

Now... if diahrhea became a symptom of disentery and you had to manage it or face lessened mobility and damaged clothing (lol) it may be justified but thats a stretch.

How would pooing be implemented? Just curious, would we just activate a loading bar? Sounds fun.

Also, you can get sick from eating rotten food already, and yes you lose water much faster while affected so it is assumed they do have diarrhea. 

Hope this came out as genuinely constructive and not bashing. Your suggestion is legitimate. But i dont believe it belongs in the game.

I am not sure what this would add to the game. Food poisoning from low quality foods is in the game already, though as someone who has had it I can tell you the punishment in the game is really light compared to real life. And yet I sprain my wrists walking down a hill. I guess our character has a stomach of iron and wrists/ankles of thin balsa wood. Also how are my clothes ripping in the snow? What kind of incompetent klutz is this person? I am getting off topic :P

Waste management though, there wouldn't really be any need. Everything is frozen so you could just poop right outside the house and it would be fine.

This would be interesting because it could decrease somethings like cabin fever. It could be like a short buff.

If Hinterland does introduce "Well-being" I'd expect this to be a possible part of it.

Cleaning up and smelling fresh would make you feel better and more accomplished thus increasing your well-being.

This is also in-line with other suggestions around hygiene in other posts.

One that I actually liked was having to clean clothes/yourself or else be hit with a scent penalty. It would also make places like TWM harder as there are no structures with showers/baths...and much predatory wildlife in a condensed area.

Archived