Steam controller issues on Arch Linux x86_64

I am having a strange issue with the Steam Controller. It looks like it is read from the game not as a... steam controller. Just to be more clear, the bindings from the Steam configuration seem to be completely ignored, even if I try to change them. It happens from both normal steam and big picture. As by title, I am on a Arch Linux x86_64 machine.

One thing that may be useful: I have to preload the SDL library from the steam folder, as explained in other guides, to make the game start. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like that this issue could be someway related to libraries version. If you need any other information, I will be happy to help you tracking down the problem.

Hi @Edoardo Morandi, thanks for your post. Unfortunately the help we can provided is limited as the Operating Systems we support are limited to those supported by the Unity engine. However these are some steps that often help with common Steam Controller issues. If you haven't tried them yet, give them a shot!

• Make sure Steam Overlay is enabled
  • Disable any other overlay software you have
  • Reset your controller to the official configuration for The Long Dark
  • Reboot your system
  • Turn on Big Picture Mode

First of all: the update that came out in these days indirectly fixed the issue. In practice it did not change anything, the controller was (not) working as before. However, I tried to run the game without having to pre-load the SDL library from the Steam prefix, and everything worked flawlessly, even the controller.

Now, don't take this in the wrong way, I just want to make a constructive criticism: if a player ask your help for a problem, there is a good probability that he already tried many things before, like searching inside Steam discussions, your forum and, obviously, Google. It is also true that Unity Engine is widely used today, and you can easily imagine that I have got a good amount of other games based on it, and all of them works with the Steam controller flawlessly. Even the ones that do not support it! In this case you have been quite unlucky, because I am a programmer, and having to preload a library smells really bad to me. And in this case it was exactly the problem.

If you try to search around, you will notice that there are many people out there that needed that hack to run the game. Probably, not many of these own a Steam Controller, so it is not a common problem. Next time, IMHO, you should try to avoid kind of replies that make the user think 'Hey, I am not an expert, but I am not a stupid'. We bought your game because we love your game, we just want to play it with our hardware (if possible). I am a reasonable person and I would have patiently waited for some help, but others would have left a bad (and unfair) review for the missed support.

Last suggestion: make some changes to the Technical Support on Steam and explain that the preload method should be avoided now, because it could bring some unexpected issues. Maybe it will avoid some future troubles ;)

Oh, obviously... thanks for the update!!!

Archived