How to get wood w/out hatchet? Is hammer really > hatchet?

lcsu24

Hey Guys, it's good to back.

For those more experienced players out there, I've got a question: How do you get wood without having a hatchet (ASIDE FROM JUST PICKING UP STICKS)? Reading from many past forums on steam and here, hatchet seems like the most "useless" tool out there; many even say hatchet is just for decoration. I understand that hacksaw & knife > hatchet, but what about large furniture (tables, shelves ... etc ) and limbs? Carrying hammer + hacksaw + knife doesn't seem much better than just a hatchet + knife. In addition, I like to leave a hammer @ the forge so I don't need to carry it all the way with me.

I have some hours under my belt, but I've mostly been playing in pilgrim. Currently playing a custom run and need some advice. Please share your wisdom!

It has been a while since I've read the forums, so I apologize if this is being repeated. Thank you!

tldr version: Hacksaw for saplings and harvest frozen meat, knife for skinning and selfdefense on expeditions.
Hammer/Hatchet stored in bases for furniture busting fun

Longer answer:
Well i think the consensus is that sticks is plenty fine and the hatchet is just unnecessary weight. 

Hacksaw is just as good for saplings and the Hacksaw is also repairable nearly indefinitely whilst the hatchet is only good as long as you have sharpening stones.

Hacksaw is also better then Hatchet for harvesting frozen meat.

Knife is plenty in selfdefense scenarios.

But if you want to "waste" time and calories on busting up furniture, a Hammer or Hatchet is your only option. I have a few Hatchets in different bases that i use to pass time and break down furniture. But i never carry it on expeditions.

2 hours ago, ormet said:

But if you want to "waste" time and calories on busting up furniture

I disagree. Reclaimed wood and cedar firewood have the best burning time / weight ratio : 2 hours/kg. On the contrary, sticks make for a short but hot fire, and are better for lighting the fire. I usually carry 4 reclaimed wood and a few sticks, for emergencies. This lets me have a 2 hours fire base (for 1 kg slot in my inventory), easily renewable. I've always gone through every blizzard and other difficulties that way. My point is that, when in a tight spot, gathering enough sticks take some needed time and calories, and  exposes to blizzards and wolf attacks, that deteriorate clothes.

2 hours ago, ormet said:

Hammer/Hatchet stored in bases for furniture busting

This, I agree. :)

6 minutes ago, StrayCat said:

I disagree.

Correctly so. I should have elaborated more instead of using "" around waste. It is of course based on situation and need. Especially since i almost perished yesterday in a blizzard looking for sticks to melt snow and boil water. Lost, cold and dehydrated i finally found my way back to the Abandonded Prepper Cache in PV, busted some creates (with my stored hatchet), moved to broken down house and stove and survived to see another day.  :D

Took me long enough to realise the same ;)

And i just realised i did say anything regarding your question about Hatchet VS Hammer. And that is because i never find hammers outside of where they do most good so i have never used them as a substitute for Hatchets. But i remember reading they degrade less then hatchet for smashing stuff. So if one is lucky to find them and have space in inventory to lug them to a base i would assume they make an excellent addition.

Archived