Celeblith

Any Vegans (or Non Vegans) Cringe Hunting Rabbits?

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

There's nothing wrong at all about taking no joy in killing, even if it's completely justified and done quickly, and humanely.  To kill and feel nothing is a sign of sociopathy, even if it doesn't blossom into full on sociopathic behavior.  It gets easier to do, but having respect for the life you took is part of what it means to be human.  Like when river trout fishing with a backpack full of ice for the 3 unlucky fish that go towards my daily bag limit, they don't just die right away.  They lose whatever consciousness they have pretty quickly, but I can still feel them flopping around back there, sometimes for up to an hour after being taken out of the water.  And I chop the heads off before I clean them.  I don't want my food looking at me as I slice it open.

And there's nothing wrong with completely disassociating the act of killing IRL from what occurs here in TLD.  I get the same Joy from hitting a charging wolf who is zig-zagging across the Muskeg that I do when I knock down the little target that makes the skeleton rise up from the whiskey barrel in an arcade shooting gallery.

Also: A sociopath is someone who has a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior. A psychopath is a person with such a personality disorder manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or otherwise amoral behavior who lacks empathy or remorse.

• Upvote 1

I'm a vegetarian for about a decade, and I've been know to push rabbit populations on Great Bear to the brink of extinction. I simply cannot "forget" that TLD is just a simulation enough to care for digital animals. I, however, sometimes have a hightened craving for hot beverages when playing. 😉

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I think fits here too.

I appreciate how hunting is handled in this game, it can be a poignant reminder of our fundamental relationship with our food (since humans are biologically equipped to be omnivores).  We have nearly an entire generation, who if you were to ask where their bacon comes from... they will tell you, "the store."  Which to my mind is unfortunate.

Nature is indifferent, not just to us... but to any living thing.  Often times, in order to perpetuate life... other life ends.  This is not just the case for carnivores either... after all plants are living things as well, and herbivores can decimate plant life when they are left unchecked.

Of course, the reality of a situation like the one posed by the game is a grim one... and in as much as life in any form should be respected, we also (most of us anyway) have a very strong sense of self preservation... the instinct to stay alive as long as we can.  One of the first things to go when a person is starving are their food aversions.  The body will want to stay alive a lot more than their sorrow over killing Thumper.

I would say there is no joy when it comes to having to hunt to stay alive... when the driving force is the biological imperative of the need for sustenance.  Granted, after not eating for a couple of days... when a person does finally manage to get any kind of food, they do tend to be happy about it.  Not because of what they had to do to get it, but because they know they finally get to eat.

Anyway, my point is... hunting out of necessity for food is just apart of life on this planet for carnivores and omnivores alike...  I've even seen more than a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating that even herbivores are not opposed to eating other critters when the opportunity presents itself.

[Addendum: I am only offering a point of view, and I am by no means attacking anyone else's point of view.  It's hard for any of us to reliably predict what we would or wouldn't do in a similar life or death situation, unless we've been in a similar life or death situation...]

Edited by ManicManiac