Any Vegans (or Non Vegans) Cringe Hunting Rabbits?

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I think fits here too.

I appreciate how hunting is handled in this game, it can be a poignant reminder of our fundamental relationship with our food (since humans are biologically equipped to be omnivores).  We have nearly an entire generation, who if you were to ask where their bacon comes from... they will tell you, "the store."  Which to my mind is unfortunate.

Nature is indifferent, not just to us... but to any living thing.  Often times, in order to perpetuate life... other life ends.  This is not just the case for carnivores either... after all plants are living things as well, and herbivores can decimate plant life when they are left unchecked.

Of course, the reality of a situation like the one posed by the game is a grim one... and in as much as life in any form should be respected, we also (most of us anyway) have a very strong sense of self preservation... the instinct to stay alive as long as we can.  One of the first things to go when a person is starving are their food aversions.  The body will want to stay alive a lot more than their sorrow over killing Thumper.

I would say there is no joy when it comes to having to hunt to stay alive... when the driving force is the biological imperative of the need for sustenance.  Granted, after not eating for a couple of days... when a person does finally manage to get any kind of food, they do tend to be happy about it.  Not because of what they had to do to get it, but because they know they finally get to eat.

Anyway, my point is... hunting out of necessity for food is just apart of life on this planet for carnivores and omnivores alike...  I've even seen more than a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating that even herbivores are not opposed to eating other critters when the opportunity presents itself.

[Addendum: I am only offering a point of view, and I am by no means attacking anyone else's point of view.  It's hard for any of us to reliably predict what we would or wouldn't do in a similar life or death situation, unless we've been in a similar life or death situation...]

Edited by ManicManiac

• 2 months later...

Not a veg here, but I can understand others' aversion to killing rabbits the way it's done in game, or at all for that matter.  To me, a part of the emotion around the act of harvesting an animal for any reason comes in part from how ingrained it is into your circumstances, culture, needs, etc.  For me, I grew up hunting, so going out with a rifle and harvesting a deer or rabbit is just part of stocking my freezer for my family, as well as carrying on a tradition.  Others haven't grown up that way, or don't have the opportunity on a regular basis, so they don't see everything involved like I do. 

With anything, the more frequent it is in your life, the more calloused you can get about it.  While I do feel emotion around killing an animal, it doesn't affect me as much as others, and I know that the reason I do it is for a good reason, rather than simple sport or because I can.  I don't think it's good to get totally calloused toward the act though, because there needs to be a respect for where you get your food, both for the animal's sake and for conservation as a whole, and hunting and foraging both have an important  part to play in that.  Too much hunting/foraging leads to species decline, and not enough leads to overpopulation (coyotes vs rabbits), invasive species (grass carp and kudzu vines), and other serious ethical concerns.  

@ManicManiac makes a good point about the current generation and where they get food.  To me, "the grocery store" is not a sufficient answer.  I like knowing where my food comes from, and how to get it myself if necessary.  If, for instance, SHTF happened, there would most certainly be a run on supermarkets.  Having the option and know-how to gather and hunt would be a life-saver and marketable skill for survival, and it's a skill I think everyone should have just in case.  I think everyone getting a bit closer to how we get food and knowing the process would not only make us more responsible about it, but also help reduce irresponsible practices without each side weaponizing their point of view to score points for their "team".  I for one don't fault anyone for going veg or full vegan (even if I can't understand it), as it is a luxury for many, but I have a problem with the way it's used to say I'm a bad person for hunting and sourcing my own food.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

one the of the resins I love the long dark are the rabbit hunting mechanics. Especially with the new aiming. all though I wish they aloud you to skin a rabbit in the one minute it takes an expert in real life to do so at level five. Only ask me how if you want to never look at a rabbit or trout the same way.

• 1 month later...
Guest kristaok
On 9/11/2019 at 12:19 PM, Bodhran777 said:

I for one don't fault anyone for going veg or full vegan (even if I can't understand it), as it is a luxury for many, but I have a problem with the way it's used to say I'm a bad person for hunting and sourcing my own food.  

I must admit I did the whole Vegetarian / Vegan thing and it honestly wasn't for me... I was turned off pretty quickly when I witnessed a lot of the attitude towards hunters and so forth, and also upon research it's easy to see that we need meat to stay healthy and thrive. Now I am not saying that one could not survive being a Vegetarian / Vegan, but I can guarantee they won't "thrive" on that sort of diet.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, kristaok said:

I must admit I did the whole Vegetarian / Vegan thing and it honestly wasn't for me... I was turned off pretty quickly when I witnessed a lot of the attitude towards hunters and so forth, and also upon research it's easy to see that we need meat to stay healthy and thrive. Now I am not saying that one could not survive being a Vegetarian / Vegan, but I can guarantee they won't "thrive" on that sort of diet.

Yeah that is the impression I get as well, you'd be "alive" but you might be one bad situation away from death.

I've been reading about a "vegan" strongman and while he might be stronger than the average person who lives a sedentary lifestyle, he doesn't seem to peer well with his behemoth meat eating brethren.

Anyway back on topic, I have an affinity for animals and I do feel a bit sad for every rabbit that I harvest in the game. I probably wouldn't have the guts to do it IRL even if it was life or death.

I feel the odd man out. I usually use snares for rabbits. About the only time I stone them is if I'm desperate at the beginning of a run or... let me paint the picture.

I play on my laptop and invariably someone wants to see what I'm playing. I usually hightail it to the nearest bunny, stun it and pick it up. I make a point of showing them the bunny and as soon I hear the beginnings of the "Awwww" I snap it's neck, laughing maniacally at their shocked reactions. It's one of my favorite things to show people. :D

That's just my sense of humor, though. IRL I'm an animal lover although being from the country I have probably eaten most of the animals I've been around in my life. My daddy also happened to raise meat rabbits when I was young so eating rabbits is nothing new to me either. I just have a very twisted, often inappropriate sense of humor.

Edited by Hilayla

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, ChillPlayer said:

I'm skipping meat because of my health and not for ethical reasons, so when my character is dying out of hunger I have no troubles snapping a bunnies neck ;)

But more humane and actually easier is to hunt rabbits with a bow, same technique as with stones but position yourself so they are running towards or from you. And it gives you points to level the skill up.

Generaly speaking, someone on a strict plant-based diet, in this environment, will pretty fast become another frozen corps on the side of the road (in which I can store my freshly hunted bunny meat :D )

Storage or as I like to call them "dinner for when the Donners come to party".

• 1 month later...

More Vegetarians/Vegans on this forum than I thought.

As for me, i've never had the slightest interest in going vegan, though I have no problem with people who do. My problems happen when preachy people try to force you into thinking the same way as they do. 

As a rule of thumb, snapping an animal's neck is a quick and generally painless way to kill them. While I have no qualms against eating meat, I don't condone unnecessary pain and suffering. A good balance of plants of animals is good.

My two cents though.

Guest jeffpeng

I think most people mistake vegetarism or veganism as a political stance. Both people practicing it and people talking about people practicing it.

When I am a vegetarian or vegan it's a choice I made for whatever reason. Maybe it's because I believe a sustainable civilization cannot procure the larger part of its calories by eating animals. Maybe it's because I live by the rule that I don't want to cause more suffering to animals than I absolutely have to. Maybe I just don't freezing like the taste. Maybe it's for health reasons - which is my case as I react very badly to too much exposure to antibiotics in industrially grown animals because of a spleen infection I had like 15 years ago.

Whatever the reason, it's a choice a person has made for themselves, and is continuing to make for themselves every day. Just because I don't eat meat there is no implicit political agenda attached to me, and I don't automatically have this or that stance toward this or that controversy. Just beacause I don't eat meat I don't automatically judge you for doing so, and I don't want to be judged by you for doing not. Just because I don't eat meat I'm not automatically an elitist ass that looks down on people getting by on minimum wage, nor do I want to be told that it's a luxury I shouldn't be allowed to afford. Just because I don't eat meat I'm not better than you, nor do I think I am, and nor do I want you to think that I am. I just don't eat meat. Like other people just don't eat brussel sprouts, or some people don't eat chocolate.

What I am trying to say is... please take vegatarism and veganism for what it is. The abstenance from certain or even all kinds of animal products. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't give people the right to preach, nor is it a reason for crucifixion.

It's just food, people.

Edited by jeffpeng

• 1 month later...