Tips for moose hunting

Skap

I'm looking around to get a moose hide or two, but I really don't know how to go about hunting a moose. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips at all on how to approach this. 

Should I wait around near where they usually spawn or should I just wander around till I find one?

How many rifle/bow shots does it take? 

What's a good strategy? 

And anything else you might think of that could be useful, anything at all.

I spent about two weeks camping out in a place with marked trees, checking two or three times a day.  Eventually, on the second check of the day, my moose appeared.  I'm not sure if that's the best strategy, but at least I have a moose-hide.

It took me four bullets, I believe, but one of those was from a distance and might have been a miss.  Coward that I am, I confronted the beast from the safety of a broken tree, and therefore didn't get trampled.

thus far... I have only seen the one in my 500 day run at the Coastal Townsite... and a second also in Coastal Townsite on my recent NOMAD run... I killed the one in Nomad for absolutely no reason... didn't need any of it... and only took the hide and 4 gut..

2 shots...first hit got his attention...second was a charging head shot...

4 hours ago, Skap said:

I'm looking around to get a moose hide or two, but I really don't know how to go about hunting a moose. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips at all on how to approach this. 

Should I wait around near where they usually spawn or should I just wander around till I find one?

How many rifle/bow shots does it take? 

What's a good strategy? 

And anything else you might think of that could be useful, anything at all.

I don't like waiting so wander until I find one.

I guess that depends on your skill.  I've killed them in 1 shot and up to 6.

I also do the "safety spot" method (fallen tree, or rock shelf)

Every time I've been to Broken RR, I've found one around the Hunting Lodge.

I lucked into one at the north river entrance of Mystery Lake (traveling between the camp office and the dam), and it took three arrows. First arrow made him run, once he stopped running I hit him with a second arrow, and the third arrow hit him right in the head as he was charging me and dropped him. I'm not sure if the first two arrows were critical hits.

1 hour ago, smonkone said:

I lucked into one at the north river entrance of Mystery Lake (traveling between the camp office and the dam), and it took three arrows. First arrow made him run, once he stopped running I hit him with a second arrow, and the third arrow hit him right in the head as he was charging me and dropped him. I'm not sure if the first two arrows were critical hits.

Near the Hydro Dam? As for arrow shots, one story said it took 6 arrow hits?  Anyways your doing well with 3. Nice.

• 7 months later...

If you increase your chances of getting a moose. I suggest you read tips for finding moose .

• Hunt for moose near food sources and water.
  • Learn to recognize the moose sign
  • scouting and calling 
  • Wear clothing that does not make any noise
  • Use the best gun for Moose Hunting
  • Don’t stand in the open
  • Call Moose Properly

Hope you find this helpful...

On 27-2-2018 at 7:37 PM, Prestermatt said:

I spent about two weeks camping out in a place with marked trees, checking two or three times a day.  Eventually, on the second check of the day, my moose appeared.  I'm not sure if that's the best strategy, but at least I have a moose-hide.

It took me four bullets, I believe, but one of those was from a distance and might have been a miss.  Coward that I am, I confronted the beast from the safety of a broken tree, and therefore didn't get trampled.

Exactly, go camp near a place with moose marks on trees.
Any area that has moose markings on trees have a chance of spawning a moose.
Your chances of having one spawn during a storm is small and the chance of having one despawn during a storm is huge (even when already shot!)
Thus keep in mind to hunt during better weather conditions and if possible keep it within view distance at all times.

Also like Prester said, check around 2-3 times a day, a moose is a pretty rare spawn but if there's a bizzard, don't bother.
If there's a storm then you might still have a chance, but don't risk your own skin over it.
After 2 weeks if no moose had spawned, move to a new location with moose markings.
I think there's only one spawn per region, so you might have to move regions.

~CGTv

I haven't effectively explored/play a whole a lot of the maps since the moose was added so my findings are a bit scant (all on stalker).

*TWM - Over the course of several starts in the map trying to make it to the summit, i only saw a moose near the Wing on the run i managed to loot the summit.

*PV - Started here on my current run and found markings near the Lonely Homestead. I was out of ammo by that point and i only had two arrows left after loosing four of them to despawning carcasses, so i didn't stay around to try and find the moose.

*ML - After passing through the Trapper's Cabin area several times i had finally found one there. I got lucky and managed to kill it with one rifle shot.

I didn't get to test it out but supposedly moose don't like fire and will not trample you if you are next to one, kinda like a wolf. Again didn't get to test it out, but supposedly they don't bleed out either. http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Moose

20180923010336_1.thumb.jpg.60eb7fb9268df26def3657ce3d95de4e.jpg20180923010458_1.thumb.jpg.78cb17506e317b877877c08c443d3910.jpg20180923021235_1.thumb.jpg.ff746f948b33cf6cfed4a8c14a133d2f.jpg

The best way of finding a moose is to first seek moose locations from the net.  The list on the Fandom Long Dark wiki is a good start.  See http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Moose.  You can also find discussions on STEAM and Reddit.  Of course, there's no guarantee that a moose will actually spawn at one of those locations.  Even if it does, it will only be there part of the time. 

As far as killing a moose, there are at lease three strategies:  Shoot from a fallen tree or other safe location, as several others have mentioned;  start a fire, approach the moose while crouched, pop up and shoot, then run back to the protection of the fire; or approach the moose until he starts his warning posture, then shoot him and keep shooting him as he charges--if you're lucky--he'll fall right in front of you.

I find it hard enough to find a moose, much less a moose with a safe location nearby, so use strategies 2 and 3. Now that I'm playing on Stalker+ level (Stalker w/o the rifle), I only use a bow.  For the moose I killed most recently, I hit him with one shot using strategy 2, then the moose moved further from the fire, so I switched to strategy 3.  I walked upright toward the moose.  When he started his warning stance, I shot, resulting in a glancing hit to the side of his face.  As he started to charge I shot again, hitting him in the left nostril and he fell to the ground about two meters in front of me.  It took a while for my blood pressure to come down. o.O

Good luck.

A weird but functional strategy is to light a fire which is "out of sight", so that the moose can see it only when it's very close to you. This will cause the moose to "pull the emergency brake" during its retaliatory charge, stopping and turning around so near that its flank will take all the screen (yes, that's a bit exaggerated) and grant you a second sure hit. An exposed and visible fire will stop the moose when it's still reasonably far away, and you may waste an opportunity.

My observations regarding moose:

Moose will spawn in one out of nine regions (not in transition zones). It will not spawn in another region as long as it is alive in one region. You kill a moose and a new moose will spawn in another region. And so on. A blizzard will despawn moose like all other animals but the moose will reappear where it got spawned the last time untill you kill it.

4 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

creatures in The Long Dark do not Have a health bar

In a Milton Mailbag "do animals have condition?" was asked and the answer was "yes". As an example, wolves can die during a struggle only if they had more than one and damage piles up, like when they are driven off with a heavy hammer and return.

"If it has condition we can kill it"

7 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

As an example, wolves can die during a struggle only if they had more than one and damage piles up, like when they are driven off with a heavy hammer and return.

Just last night I was returning from TWM Summit to find a Bear below me.  Surely I couldn't climb the slope between us, so neither can he . . . right?  I take a cheap shot with my new rifle.  Good hit.  He charges me . . . UP THE SLOPE!   I get another shot off just as he engages.  The usual mauling ensues.  Except about 2 seconds into it, Mr. Bear runs out of gas and dies.

In my "trauma" I still hear the fullness of his mauling in my ears, but I'm standing above his lifeless husk.  (The audio of the event continues, even if he dies halfway through -- which is pretty weird).  I had blood-loss and possible infection, but no clothing damage.

I check later on, no I certainly could not have scaled the path he took to me.  I guess pathing is not reciprocal.  Learn something new each day -- hope not to die from the lesson.

7 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

The usual mauling ensues.  Except about 2 seconds into it, Mr. Bear runs out of gas and dies.

Welcome to the extremely exclusive club of the Bearwrestlers. It happened to me a while ago, good old Will shot the Broken Railroad bear two times, the second shot at less than point-blank range. The mauling started but caused no damage at all, and at the end of the whole sequence the bear died. Even crazier.

From what I've seen animals can climb even the most unlikely slopes. Rock ledges or trees are the only safe spots.

Yeah, my second shot was basically Final Protective Fire, too.  I think the sound of the shot echoed through the start of the struggle animation.  Plinked him in the noggin.  While I didn't receive any (noticeable) clothing damage, I did take condition damage.  I'm playing Voyager, so I was left with about 20% condition.  If your account left you with full condition, I wonder if there is a timing to the fight.  Something like:

1) Bloodloss

2) Condition

3) Clothing damage (perhaps this gradually increases over the time of the fight

4) Random Sprain checks

And if the mauling is terminated early, it might not get to step 2 or 3 or something.

BearBadge.jpg

On 10/9/2018 at 8:13 AM, Doc Feral said:

From what I've seen animals can climb even the most unlikely slopes. Rock ledges or trees are the only safe spots.

Not with bears, but i have definitely experienced that with wolves.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, NardoLoopa said:

In my "trauma" I still hear the fullness of his mauling in my ears, but I'm standing above his lifeless husk

That sounds truly terrifying 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, gnomegnine said:

creatures in The Long Dark do not Have a health bar like other games. there is a function of scoring a critical hit.

read more on the fandom here

http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting

yes but the moose is a different beast in TLD compared to others. For one you can't wound it and let it bleed out like a wolf or deer I believe.  Pretty much you need to go for that critical hit. Fail you get a good stomping unless you can get away fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Once i find a moose i try to crouch till i get into range where if i stand he Will aggro. 

Then i build a fire.

Once built i stand to cause a charge. 

As he charges fire  hoping to get a clean head shot. If that fails he Will see the fire and rear up getting ready to run away. 

As he does this if I'm quick enough i can get off another shot with the bow.

Even if unsuccessful in killing him, this next shot Will cause him to rear  again giving me time to shoot him again.

Rinse And repeat until the moose is dead.

Btw... Flares can kill a moose.. And like bears if hit with a flare they break attack to flee.

Happy hunting

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 2:13 PM, Doc Feral said:

As silly as self-quoting can seem, yesterday I've watched a bear walking on cars as it crossed the Spruce Falls bridge. This shows at least bears can climb well enough.

Archived