Cabin Fever

Dougie

I’ve been finding the threshold for cabin fever is a little low. The current game I’m on had me afflicted after spending one day and one night in the hunter’s cabin after killing a moose. I spend most days out gathering and nights cooking or mending, yet I’m getting cabin fever more often. Can it be cranked down a bit? I play on Xbox One.

That's why I turned it off in my current custom game.  The last time I flirted with cabin fever was when I was making a quick raid of the Coastal Townsite, trying to get everything out of the houses before the wolves returned.  Technically I was spending a lot of time indoors, but the idea that someone in that frantic, busy situation would get cabin fever enough that they have to sleep outside was just ridiculous.

It's a poorly-implemented mechanic designed to discourage a particular type of gameplay.  Anyone playing the game for fun, and not just to set a survival record, doesn't need it.  Honestly, if someone really just wants to spend days and days doing nothing in a cabin that's fine with me, but I'd be bored out of my mind and probably get cabin fever IRL just from trying to do it.

Now, if they implemented a better and more robust mental health system, that would be a different story.

Was it not put into place to limit people hibernating inside for too long? If so, it should not "add to the cabin fever" when we do something meaningful, reading, crafting, repairing. Was grounded in a house on my interloper run, massive long blizzards, can't do jack. So I am passing QUALITY time (not just passing) by repairing my clothes, surely the guy is focused and fighting to survive. Nope. CF risk comes up - what the hell? Fix it! (please) :P

I used to feel this way, and I do think it could be turned down slightly, but once you learn how to mitigate the build up of cabin fever, it's fairly easy to avoid and to bleed off when it starts to accumulate. I've come to appreciate the added challenge and the way it forces me to vary my game play and plan ahead. It definitely tends to keep me moving. I can't just spend a thousand days on jackrabbit island like the old days.

Don't spend multiple days breaking down stuff inside houses is a big one. Do that gradually. The items aren't going anywhere and you can always come back. Breaking down objects is wasteful in terms of both daylight and cabin fever, so I usually save it for when I actually need the wood/scrap, or for when I need to quickly burn off some energy to sleep. Obviously, never "pass time" at all.

If you go outside frequently to collect sticks, map the area, read a book in  a car, repair something, harvest an animal, make a run across the map, etc., you will not get cabin fever risk very often if at all. If you pass a cave, take a nap there if you have been spending lots of time indoors.

In the rare case you do get it from crafting an item or other extended period inside, then you can simply go fishing or cook some water outside and it will be gone. If you're fully rested, you can easily stay inside with cabin fever anyway. If it caused physical harm, that would be another story.

Archived