dbldrew

Reduce wildlife population over time

First off LOVE the custom settings! getting rid of major irritations in the game has brought me back to the game again! 

But my question is on the reduced population over time setting and how that actually works..

I'm setting up a game where the difficulty is with hunting and food gathering.  and allowing larger range of exploration with slower freezing rate. Some of the settings I'm using are..

Calorie Burn rate - very high

freezing rate - medium

at rest condition recovery - low

all wildlife population - low

wildlife respawn - low

The concept is you cant starve yourself during the day and just lose condition and eat a good meal before bed and gain most of it back.

You now have to actually eat more calories to maintain your health. 

The problem is even with all wildlife at low and low respawn there is just to many out there.. I dont really have to go "look" for food.. deer are respawning way to fast.

So how does the Reduce wildlife population over time setting work? Does the population just eventually reduce down to 0? Does the population reduction happen globally or per map basis? as in if enough hunting happens in a map they just will stop respawning or very slowly respawning?  

Edited by dbldrew

I have also tried to use the custom settings but I have found that if you set day speed at 2x, it is impossible to heal.  I got hypothermia on day 6 and lost half my health before getting back to base.  I lit a fire, ate food, drank water and even forced myself to sleep for 8 hrs.  But none of my health recovered.  Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem??

There currently seems to be a bug with the respawn rate option, setting it to low will actually maximize the respawn rate of animals. Set the wildlife populations to "low" (or even "none" for some animal types to have even less to kill/eat), the "Wildlife Respawn Frequency" to very high, and population decline over time to high as well - believe these are the current settings that truly minimize wildlife in survival mode. Hopefully the counter intuitive respawn frequency thing will be fixed in the next update.

Edited by ShieldHeart

On 2/24/2018 at 11:28 PM, ShieldHeart said:

There currently seems to be a bug with the respawn rate option, setting it to low will actually maximize the respawn rate of animals. Set the wildlife populations to "low" (or even "none" for some animal types to have even less to kill/eat), the "Wildlife Respawn Frequency" to very high, and population decline over time to high as well - believe these are the current settings that truly minimize wildlife in survival mode. Hopefully the counter intuitive respawn frequency thing will be fixed in the next update.

yeah even with these setting there is just way to many animals. The point of my settings would be to actually having to explore and hunt for animals. But I have no problem just eating rabbits and wolves.. and they respawn so fast that I only have to explore a very small area.. and I'm not even hunting deer yet! 

Hope they can fix this soon..