Do You Live In "Inconvenience"?

Kedge

So I currently am playing a custom game I designed. There is plenty of wildlife, natural resources but most of all, weather. Terrible, terrible weather. With the right adjustments, I currently have a base temperature of approximately 47 degrees with my gear-and I STILL freeze! I absolutely love it. The cold and dark will sooner kill you than any animal. But in my game play, I also have enabled "Cabin Fever". I didn't think this was an issue because well, I explore and very often. However, I ate two pieces of bear meat(4% chance, tell me about unlucky!) and contracted internal parasites. And while resting safely indoors, I obtained cabin fever. I was exhausted, it was snowing heavily outside-it was an insane experience for ten days that I pulled through.

I've seen a lot of people choose bases(of course they do, and I have myself) but is anyone totally nomadic? Does anyone choose to live "inconveniently"? When I lived in Coastal Highway, my home was a snow shelter on that ledge between the ground and the Abandoned Lookout Tower. I slept in the little nook, which from most angles, also kept my fire going through blizzards. I was safe from animals but at the cost of tiring myself out rope climbing to gather food and wood(I even lost my grip once, it was terrifying). Do you live outside? Do you have a risky camp with maybe one benefit that seems hardly worth it in the eyes of most? Do you live in a "weird" location? I lived in Pensive Pond in Pleasant Valley(I'd have stayed longer had it not been for the crashing..), then my nook in Coastal Highway, and now(almost day 90) I've chosen to live in Raven Falls Railway Line.

There is plenty of wood in the area and my cave is absolutely warm in the back(it feels like 72 degrees without a fire! I sleep in the upper level cave, not down in the ravine). I thought about trying to live in a railway cart if I decide to stay in Mystery Lake. I have to travel there to fish or find wolf pelts, then I trek home. It's inconvenient, but it's comfortable, fun and keeps me going. It also keeps the cabin fever at bay. To me, living outside, I get to observe nature more and I feel less restricted or "needing" to hide and stay indoors. Animals don't bother me too often, given my wolf and bear clothing but it does happen from time to time. Especially when I'm trying to take my hunt back home. I have the scent set to high so it makes it harder to hunt due to animals fleeing, or easier for predators to find me if I'm carrying meat. I like a challenge. For my next home, I'm thinking of living in the Broken Railroad, or maybe make my way over to Milton. For a brief time, I also stayed on the Crumbling Highway. But now, I'm going to be spending days taking firewood and other things back home from the damn. Do you live in a strange place like a transition zone, or maybe you just choose one perk of a location with the downside of many?

I'm currently crashing out in the Waterfall Cave on TWM. It's kind of a hunting camp right now... going to be taking my hides and guts down to Mountaineer's at some point in the next week or so. I also am hoping to try to reach some areas I've noticed that may be able to be cliff-climbed down from the summit. Here's my current map on TWM:

screen_48b1e5f5-a851-4921-806a-1c47175290e3.thumb.png.1c49b2cebcb86360c7b22fb8f93fd04a.png

I'm noping to get those dark areas around the summit cleared out before I roll back down to the Hut where the living is marginally easier.

@Fuarian I know what you mean. I think the only places that "force" you to live ourdoors would be the Forlorn Muskeg and Timberwolf Mountain. And even those have a hut and decent train cart to live inside. Here's to hoping future zones make it much more difficult to live in. I just live that way because well, I almost "have" to, due to my cabin fever ramping up.

@stratvox Nice camp spot. I just trudged over to Milton about a day ago and stayed at the picnic area a bit and the inside the cave down below. I'm currently looking for a place to crash for a few weeks. Somewhere a bit bizarre. 

I spent a pleasant couple of weeks camping in Milton Basin.  The broken-down Hermit's Cabin has plenty of storage, a pot-belly stove, and... not much else.  Even the spot by the stove isn't always sheltered from the blizzards.  I could envision staying there for a while with the right supplies.

Archived