Binoculars

Bowie

When I first started The Long Dark and discovered the forestry lookout, I knew in my heart that there had to be a pair of binoculars up there. The whole time I was running up the stairs, I was imagining standing up there surveying everything below.  I got up there and said to myself "Who runs a forestry lookout without binoculars?" Anyway, I think they would be a little heavy, but still a great addition to the game.

I love the idea, I'm just not sure if it is realistic. 

Many people have suggested scopes on the rifle, and the main concern with it is that in such cold weather it would become blurry and impossible to use. Wouldn't the same happen to binoculars?

I wish I am wrong and they put it in the game hahaha

Yeah, I'm sure foggy lenses would be an issue on really cold days, but there are a lot of times in the game when air temps are fairly warm.  On a side note, in the Air Force we used them in like -30 degree temps. Of course they were airtight, Argon filled, super high-dollar, tax payer funded binoculars. lol

The issue with binoculars is a matter of game balance. In TLD there are a number of limiting factors, one of which is visibility. The addition of binoculars changes a great deal of the dynamics. Now, we already have some limited zoom capability with the gun. So, the mechanics exist, we're just discussing degree.

In effect, it should be a legendary item (meaning only one in the game) and should be at the end of a quest line, or in a very difficult to reach place. The binoculars should be heavy. I know the pair I own is at least 4 kg, but I can see craters on the moon with it. So, I'd go with 2.5 kg, and a x20 zoom. It requires both hands, must be equipped to use. There needs to be a delay in putting it away so you don't binocular, switch to gun and shoot in a nano second. However, I don't see a strong decay rate. My binoculars are over 30 years old. They've got a slight amount of scratching, but otherwise work perfectly under all conditions.

Or, alternative: You take two magnifying glasses and 4 leather and a sewing kit to create the Make Shift Telescope. So. tell me, would you give up TWO magnifying glasses for ONE x10 spy glass? Now there's a hard choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived