About long-term survival


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Do what I do. Reopen the Quonset Gas Station. Restock the shelves. Make a dozen wolf coats and collect all the bed rolls to sell. In the future, matches will be the new currency, so keep your matches in the cash register. Then restock the place while somehow avoiding the constant wolf attacks. Go up TWM and loot everything. EV-REE-THING. Every 'shroom. Every OMB. Every Cattail. EVERYTHING. Get it all down the mountain and to CH and to your store front. Then, if you ever finish. Spell out words with stones and sticks directing people to come to your store to buy stuff. Big stone arrows pointing the way. 50% off all Guts. Kareoke Tuesdays.

Then wait for the customers to come rolling in.

And wait...

And wait...

And wait...

Stunning business plan! Have you considered a Kickstarter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Do what I do. Reopen the Quonset Gas Station. Restock the shelves. Make a dozen wolf coats and collect all the bed rolls to sell. In the future, matches will be the new currency, so keep your matches in the cash register. Then restock the place while somehow avoiding the constant wolf attacks. Go up TWM and loot everything. EV-REE-THING. Every 'shroom. Every OMB. Every Cattail. EVERYTHING. Get it all down the mountain and to CH and to your store front. Then, if you ever finish. Spell out words with stones and sticks directing people to come to your store to buy stuff. Big stone arrows pointing the way. 50% off all Guts. Kareoke Tuesdays.

Then wait for the customers to come rolling in.

And wait...

And wait...

And wait...

This makes me sad and I don't know why

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Do what I do. Reopen the Quonset Gas Station. Restock the shelves. Make a dozen wolf coats and collect all the bed rolls to sell.

this would make for an interesting photo....lmao

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always believed that the way to solve the "long term" survival aspect of this game is to introduce "TRADE" into the game. With the elements of the story mode, you have EVERYTHING YOU NEED to make this game fun and interesting long term (over 1000 days or more). Here's what I would do if I were the king/queen of Hinterlands:

Your GOAL would be to "purposely" live in the wilderness and create and thrive on your own personal homestead by choice.

1. I would make the town of Milton fully functional complete with interactive citizens and a fully functional and fully stocked trading post.

2.  You would start out in Milton with a little money, worn out, low quality clothing, very little food, and no weapon. You would take what little money you have to the Milton trading post to buy a few more items (but not nearly enough) to help you survive.

3. Then, you would set out from Milton to find your own personal place to "homestead".  You would need to travel far from Milton because the resources immediately around Milton have all been used up and pillaged.

4. Once you finally find the place you want to "homestead", you set out to acquire items to trade to make your existence easier.

3. By gradually foraging, hunting, fishing, and crafting you could eventually acquire enough "simple" trade goods to travel back to the Milton trading post and trade your items, for a little bit better items, such as: light weight expedition parka, better boots, medicine, weapons, food, ammo, tools, and so on.

4. Valuable items not easily found in the wilderness could be traded for in the trading post such as: ammo, fuel, better and lighter clothing and better weapons. Plus, more unique items could be introduced into the game all the time, as time goes on.

5. You could still keep the same different difficulty levels so folks could play at the level comfortable to them.

6. You could even add a prospecting element into the game where a player could occasionally find gold or silver in the mines or streams.  And you could then trade for prospecting equipment which would give you a greater chance of finding more valuable minerals.

The possible ways to make a long term game more interesting if you really think about it.........are endless!!

So that's the concept in general! I think it could really help to reduce boredom of long term game play.     Just my thoughts!  :)

 

Edited by cowboymrh
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting concept.

Personally i wouldn't want a "society" aspect to the game - the solitude is part of the charm. I do recall reading about NPC's being scattered around the regions - whether this was in Sandbox AND Wintermute is beyond me.

Isolated NPC's scattered around could be cool though - they could be hostile, or if you visit them they could need help (i.e being sick, injured) or you could visit them one day and they are just gone.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seshins said:

Interesting concept.

Personally i wouldn't want a "society" aspect to the game - the solitude is part of the charm. I do recall reading about NPC's being scattered around the regions - whether this was in Sandbox AND Wintermute is beyond me.

Isolated NPC's scattered around could be cool though - they could be hostile, or if you visit them they could need help (i.e being sick, injured) or you could visit them one day and they are just gone.

You don't have to have the "society" aspect of the game. It would merely be a game "option" that you could choose if you wished!  Problem solved! Those who want to still play the solitary version, still could.

Edited by cowboymrh
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interloper difficulty stays at least somewhat challenging. If you want a fun challenge, try looting all zones in under 50 days on Interloper. It took me a bunch of attempts to get that squared away.

I usually listen to podcasts and drink beer while playing...unless in a situation where I really need to listen carefully. It makes boredom less likely, but it's more likely to make a mistake. The game is a nice visual while listening to something else. I also keep multiple bases maintained and travel between them, map everything, etc.

Be careful drinking though. The other night I drank more than usual at Quonset and fired off 3 arrows into the lake and then went down to 3% on a 2 hour repair of my deer skin pants in the car out back. Also almost got killed by a wolf. That binge almost ended my current 250 day Interloper run.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I do to try to keep boredom out.  I get away from all the "normal" play styles.  Not starving yourself, attempting things during blizzards, etc.  Anything "new" does help.  Lately I have been trying to find all the cairns, I just wish I knew how many there are in the different areas, but this also helps with boredom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

For me day 350 in any mode is death time. I usually try to science something insane at that point.

I like functional challenges, like a fish barricade along the entire CH shoreline. Safety first people. Or a bearskin bedroll in every cave in TWM, made only from bears killed on TWM. That one took a while, but by the end I could go anywhere and have a warm bed waiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cr41g said:

wow... that is insane... I don't think I have ever seen that much stuff... must definitely be Pilgrim

Nope. It was on Stalker. Then file corruption. almost made it to 500 days. Sigh. Actually, wrote up part of it. At least up to the point of that video. Then I went off to go screw around and see what other things I could get. I almost made it back with two more rifles when the file went bad. But yeah that took  364 days to finish in stalker.

Previous Entries:

Day 116: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dud99zo/


Day 192: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dud99zo/


Day 194: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dudun8d/


Day 198: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dueyn2x/


Day 201: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dueyo1i/


Day 204: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/duezgb4/


Day 206: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7zfi7w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dusp4jh/


Day?220: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7zfi7w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/duxfih9/


Day?200: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/815voc/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dv511wm/


Day 230: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/815voc/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dva160i/


Day 275: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/82y4ic/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dvf6ufw/

Edited by TheEldritchGod
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't starve my characters (that 12-15% condition saved each day means I can travel farther, increasing my zone of control quite a bit, since area expands with the square of the radius) and I possess a built in susceptability to cabin fever that compels me to travel. Setting up in a new area is always fun. Three days ago something unexpected happened in my 500+ day Interloper run - I ran out of food in DP and had to leave suddenly. I could have made it another day or two without starving on rabbits, but I'd eaten my way through an entire bear (admittedly it was a very small bear at only 26kg) without seeing a wolf or deer anywhere in the zone. I think there were tweaks made to wildlife spawns in a recent patch, as I've never been able to get the last wolf before (there was always 1 more!). Now I'm going to see if something similar happens in a larger zone like CH.

But seriously if I start to get bored, I just go play something else for a while or start a new run until I feel the itch to come back to the established game (either to test something, or to play for a while). I don't expect one title to endlessly entertain - they all get boring if I play or do only that one thing long enough. That's not to say more end game challenges would be unwelcome, just that I try to play for what a game is rather than what I wish it'd be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned in a similar thread boredom is the hidden challenge to overcome and ultimately comes down to your personal preference. My goal is to see how long I can go. Just as day to day life becomes routine and mundane, you must find ways to keep yourself alert (if your goal is long term survival). 

Regardless if Hinterland adds new things to do, this thread will always be relevant because those things become routine. Just like life. 

Granted I’d love to see new things but in the meantime it’s boredom...hopefully without any dumb mistakes

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2018 at 2:35 AM, TheEldritchGod said:

Nope. It was on Stalker. Then file corruption. almost made it to 500 days. Sigh. Actually, wrote up part of it. At least up to the point of that video. Then I went off to go screw around and see what other things I could get. I almost made it back with two more rifles when the file went bad. But yeah that took  364 days to finish in stalker.

Previous Entries:

Day 116: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dud99zo/


Day 192: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dud99zo/


Day 194: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dudun8d/


Day 198: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dueyn2x/


Day 201: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dueyo1i/


Day 204: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7xqx5w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/duezgb4/


Day 206: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7zfi7w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dusp4jh/


Day?220: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/7zfi7w/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/duxfih9/


Day?200: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/815voc/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dv511wm/


Day 230: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/815voc/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dva160i/


Day 275: https://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/82y4ic/hi_rthelongdark_please_share_your_weekly/dvf6ufw/

Amazing! Have to add that to my TLD bucket list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now