About long-term survival

Raf109

Go explore?  My Custom run is around day 65, and I've only covered Mountain Town, Mystery Lake, and a bit of Forlorn Muskeg.  I'm planning an expedition to Marsh Ridge and Milton Basin, hoping to bag the elusive moose.  There's still a lot more of the island to cover, and no need to hurry.

We don't. Lol. Boredom is the biggest killer right now. 

Usually when I get stocked up I'll go explore. EXCEPT I've already explored all the regions in previous saves. It's not like it's new and fresh every time. 

It's at this point when the two main aspects of the game (survival and exploration) are lost.

3 hours ago, Fuarian said:

It's at this point when the two main aspects of the game (survival and exploration) are lost.

It makes you think though about an actual survival scenario and whether you'd really like to live through it.  You never know what the reality will be in that situation.  It could be simply as bleak as this sort of day to day survival, never knowing whether rescue is even in the cards, let alone whether you'd want it and what you'd be going back to.  

It really depends on your playstyle. Boredom leading to carelessness is the biggest killer in the game. Basically, you need to come up with an objective beyond survival - much like in life, you need some sort of drive. 

Some people do this by setting various challenges for themselves. Some people do scientific research for the community. Some people go for the achievements. Some people do some really neat role play stuff, where they keep their journal as a character, and really try to get into the mindset, rather than just playing the mechanics. Even just having small, short term goals can work. Like "I'm going to fill a fishing hut with supplies for the next few days, or "Got ta' get me moose, b'y!"

(I'm from Newfoundland, and that's a common expression meaning "I'm going moose hunting")

As others have stated, make a list of goals.  I've gotten all achievements and badges but I really like collecting stuff - I know, seems silly but I get some satisfaction from looting and breaking down everything.  I have 279 hours of Steam gametime so am ready for some new content.  Custom Mode has extended my interest a bit as well.  I also like hunting bear and moose.

I too like to collect stuff.. I'm on my second run to try and get to 500 days, can't say I really get bored, I'm always out running about looking to get what I need to keep going or fishing or hunting. I am usually very cautious always but my last run ended at 121 days because I wasn't paying attention. The cold and hunger dropped my condition as I was heading back to my "base" and as i was crossing a rise there was a wolf on the other side 30 feet in front of me.... the attack finished me off. Currently at day 39 of second run...

Had a close to 800 day run before the save wipe months ago ... it's challenging late game but it can be done.
I tricked out a 'base' in every zone with supplies.  Hunted and fished of course.  Built markers to and from key spots in I was (however unlikely) caught unaware in a blizzard and I passed a lot of time outside to be honest.  

While that TLD run was fun, if I'm honest with myself it was a challenge to find things to do toward the end.  

My longest run was about 350 days - she wandered off into the mists when the skill system was introduced.  I kept myself entertained with Interloper games.  Go die a hideous death a couple times, then go back to the long run for some peace. Then back to the hideous death, wash rinse repeat. 

20 hours ago, djanico said:

Really wish they would add Mini missions / events Whiteout blizzard event, deer migrations, snow avalanche blocking exits/entries (will need shovel to excavate it out taking several days)  etc. so many possibilities!

Yes, the long game is the biggest weakness to the Long Dark as it is right now. It would be great to have more options (or detriments) for the long game. Just nothing too random (i.e. player must maintain agency). 

I kind of agree, the game loses a lot of flavour once you have expored everything and tried everything. Biggest challenge killer is not "knowing everthing" though, is the insane amount of resources available at all  times. 

How would I try to regain that flavour? Well, currently the player has to worry mainly about food and water to survive long term. The two remaining "surival" elements (how to warm up, how to rest) depends on your playstyle. What if the player had to really worry about how to find food? What if food wasn't so abundant, especially in the long term? The way I'd like the game to progress overtime is reducing drastically the animal population overtime. We would have to move between regions looking for that lonely deer that's going to feed us for a couple of days... then keep moving. Hunting is way too granted in the game I think. 

I'm doing some tests now with the custom game, animal population and respawn times as low as the game allows, but at the moment I don't have the time to properly add days and get to 100+. 

1 hour ago, Ohbal said:

I'm doing some tests now with the custom game, animal population and respawn times as low as the game allows, but at the moment I don't have the time to properly add days and get to 100+. 

Wonder if HL would let us use their simulators? ;)

I think events like monster blizzards or migrating deer herds (say around day 150+) would be a good way to go.

You'd need to make sure you always have the supplies on hand to survive the long duration blizzard, or keeping an eye on the Deer herds to see if they are migrating and plan accordingly. It'd stop players (i.e. Me) getting into a mundane rhythm, going through the motions. If there was an element of risk that i could get caught out by not preparing properly or staying observant, i feel this would add to the long-term experience.

remember in the whiteout challenge there was the calendar showing when blizzards would come I wish they could add this but not show small blizzards ( they should remain unknown when they would start) but on the calendar have like a massive blizzard warning so you would have to stock supplies like whiteout but this event may happen every I dunno maybe 3 months 1 month. or if they add a seasonal rotation maybe one at the start of the winter season and one at the end. thats just my 2 cents and thoughts 

• 2 weeks later...

Do what I do. Reopen the Quonset Gas Station. Restock the shelves. Make a dozen wolf coats and collect all the bed rolls to sell. In the future, matches will be the new currency, so keep your matches in the cash register. Then restock the place while somehow avoiding the constant wolf attacks. Go up TWM and loot everything. EV-REE-THING. Every 'shroom. Every OMB. Every Cattail. EVERYTHING. Get it all down the mountain and to CH and to your store front. Then, if you ever finish. Spell out words with stones and sticks directing people to come to your store to buy stuff. Big stone arrows pointing the way. 50% off all Guts. Kareoke Tuesdays.

Then wait for the customers to come rolling in.

And wait...

And wait...

And wait...

Archived