Grrr! Grrr, I say!

FormalBear

Hi, everyone! I received The Long Dark as a gift, recently, and have been playing it rather obsessively. Nearing the end of Wintermute (where primo gear tends to tame the elements), I wondered if Survival Mode might provide a more interesting experience. I got more than I bargained for!

After my Voyageur I probe faded into the Long Dark, Voyageur II somehow evaded demise at least three times, and is now doing as well as can be expected in the Coastal Township.

Really enjoying everyone's Survival Stories! Appreciate the tips and tricks, as well. Cheers, all!

FWIW, for my money the best place to set up in Coastal Highway (CH) is the fishing camp. The outdoor crafting table is gold, I tell you, gold. You can blow tons of hours making the good stuff with no fear of cabin fever. Build a fire next to the table to keep yourself warm for those times you need a fire. This spot is extremely sheltered and will generally allow a fire to burn in even terrible conditions:

screen_d661f297-a7b9-454c-ae9c-a4af0e23d6a9.thumb.png.cfacdcf4d0b72c72f69762fb35bccb91.png

Just on that little hump next to the table. Furthermore, there are no wolf spawns that are too close by, and one needs only take care when exiting at noon because a bear can be wandering down the highway. However, if you climb up on the rock outcrop just behind the cabin you have a spot the bear can't reach and is completely safe to shoot him from:

screen_0cc290ac-79d1-4189-b6f3-5c2c1f14cf58.thumb.png.9b19c6712c0ddb4aca4fd269e1942732.png

It's one of the best bases in the game imho. Trapper's Cabin in Mystery Lake is the other one, with nearby rabbit spawns, and a bear and a moose that can show up to be hunted for their hides. Trapper's Cabin used to be pretty out of the way, but with the new  access to Mountain Town via the cave nearby, that's not nearly as much of an issue as it used to be. I also find it to be far more pleasant than the Camp Office, which is a little messy....

Thanks, @stratvox. I actually spent a good 20 days with the fishing camp as home base, and discovered most of what you outline, on my own. I crafted a pair of deerskin boots at that outdoor workbench - though it never really occurred to me that I was inoculating myself against Cabin Fever (which is such a pain) while doing so.

I have discovered the exit from Coastal Highway (one of them, anyway) and have ferried my gear to a nearby shelter. Soon it'll be farewell to the Coast (though not forever, I trust). I am closing in on my 50-day milestone; CH has been very good, indeed, to Voyageur II!

Archived