Episodes 3-5, when?

sargon162

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since Ep. I and II dropped, and a long time since we were promised that it would be out. I got the game in 2014, when it was originally supposed to come out, then was told 2016, then 2017, and now even longer. I've been a patient fan for over 3 years, but my patience and a lot of my friend's patience is wearing thin.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, TheTacticalCat said:

Man it was so fun I just want a reason to play TLD. :/ I don't like the survival mode.

Why don't you like survival mode?

It's not that you have to, I'm just curious. I found survival tough to get into at first, but the following things really made it an enjoyable and addictive experience for me.

First off, a big part of what makes survival mode so great for so many people is its open-ended gameplay. There's no story; you create your own. For proof of this, I recommend you read one of the many survival stories that have been posted in this forum. People have remarkable and unique experiences, and it's because the game doesn't shoehorn you into anything. Want to wander the wilderness, unearthing secrets and seeing rare sights? You can pack some essentials and wander as an unfettered nomad. Want to settle down, hoarding everything you find and learning one specific area inside and out? You can do that too. You go where you want, you do what you want. Keep an in-game journal to document your experiences. Craft and maintain a pristine set of animal hide clothing. Live out your days as a patient angler. It's all up to you.

Another thing about survival that makes it such a significant experience is that you only live once--literally. Hubris, lack of experience, poor planning . . . all of these can result in your permanent death. The more ground you cover, the more supplies you hoard, and the better you refine your skills, all of it can be taken from you in less time than it takes for you to finish reading this sentence. 

Like I said before, there are a lot of great survival stories on this forum (I'm going to read one once I finish writing this reply). I can tell you they were very inspirational for my own survival games, giving me ideas on what to do (and what not to do).

Good luck and, if you do decide to get into survival, happy hunting  :rabbit:

On 2/26/2018 at 10:32 AM, MrJade said:

The wait is still egregious. 

No it's not. Things take time. Hinterland has poured so much time and money back into this project; it's not a large development team; they could have quit long ago. This is not Electronics Arts with a team of hundreds. Please learn about Scrum and Agile software development. This team has listened to our inputs and implemented almost everything we asked for. This is a different way of building game software. I am very pleased with the functionality to date. I'm worried, frankly, that we haven't kept up our end of this bargain; we haven't been diligent enough in testing especially in Custom difficulty.

How can something be egregious when nothing has been promised? We have been given clear direction of their feature list (fantastic) and approximate time frames for the story releases. Most of us in the "community" (on Facebook) just love to play in the Sandbox. We think up challenges to keep each other from getting bored. We do science to test stuff.

Thank you Hinterland. Have a great day!

• Upvote 2

On 3/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, SteveP said:

No it's not. Things take time. Hinterland has poured so much time and money back into this project; it's not a large development team; they could have quit long ago. This is not Electronics Arts with a team of hundreds. Please learn about Scrum and Agile software development. This team has listened to our inputs and implemented almost everything we asked for. This is a different way of building game software. I am very pleased with the functionality to date. I'm worried, frankly, that we haven't kept up our end of this bargain; we haven't been diligent enough in testing especially in Custom difficulty.

How can something be egregious when nothing has been promised? We have been given clear direction of their feature list (fantastic) and approximate time frames for the story releases. Most of us in the "community" (on Facebook) just love to play in the Sandbox. We think up challenges to keep each other from getting bored. We do science to test stuff.

Thank you Hinterland. Have a great day!

Things do take time, and Hinterland have been pretty good at explaining the reasons for the delay this time around. But the wait is still pretty disappointing, especially for people who bought the game since the full release. Maybe egregious is too strong a word, but 7 months (and counting) should definitely not be regarded as 'par for the course' for future Wintermute episode releases. Under normal circumstances it's got to be more regular than that otherwise people will just lose interest altogether.

I do hope there continues to be regular communication about progress, too. There is an obligation on Hinterland's part - they have released a story in five parts, so completing the series is a promise they must keep. Customers would be well within their rights to be angry if Wintermute is never finished. I'm not questioning that they will follow through and complete it; but it wouldn't be wise for the development team, I don't think, to go quiet for 2-3 months again, like they did after the December update.

Edited by Pillock
  • Upvote 1

On 07/03/2018 at 11:18 PM, Celeblith said:

It's not that you have to, I'm just curious. I found survival tough to get into at first, but the following things really made it an enjoyable and addictive experience for me.

First off, a big part of what makes survival mode so great for so many people is its open-ended gameplay. There's no story; you create your own. For proof of this, I recommend you read one of the many survival stories that have been posted in this forum. People have remarkable and unique experiences, and it's because the game doesn't shoehorn you into anything. Want to wander the wilderness, unearthing secrets and seeing rare sights? You can pack some essentials and wander as an unfettered nomad. Want to settle down, hoarding everything you find and learning one specific area inside and out? You can do that too. You go where you want, you do what you want. Keep an in-game journal to document your experiences. Craft and maintain a pristine set of animal hide clothing. Live out your days as a patient angler. It's all up to you.

Another thing about survival that makes it such a significant experience is that you only live once--literally. Hubris, lack of experience, poor planning . . . all of these can result in your permanent death. The more ground you cover, the more supplies you hoard, and the better you refine your skills, all of it can be taken from you in less time than it takes for you to finish reading this sentence. 

Like I said before, there are a lot of great survival stories on this forum (I'm going to read one once I finish writing this reply). I can tell you they were very inspirational for my own survival games, giving me ideas on what to do (and what not to do).

Well, it was stubbornness for the most part; I didn't have enough time for a playthrough, and besides, I don't really like survival games that much anyway I said to myself: I only played the campaign becuase I was on school holidays. But, like most things with me, I soon learned it was great. I spawned in the lighthouse at desolation point, and got the bare minimum equipment from there. I died that playthrough and exams have seen to it that I don't get another go anytime soon, but I will go back, probably before the summer, so before Ep3-5 come out. Becuase Ep3-5 come out after HL3.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, Celeblith said:

Well that's it. It gets easy to play over time and you lose interest, it gets repetitive. Once you hoard up enough food (which is ridiculously easy to do) there's no reason to keep playing. The game loses it's survival aspect and then you have to rely on the exploration aspect. But if you are a veteran player like me, even that gets stale.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Hinterland has stated they will not give release dates until they are ready to.  It is futile to ask.

I hope the sarcasm of a year+ old post still being fully relevant didn't go over you. 

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
59 minutes ago, MrJade said:

I hope the sarcasm of a year+ old post still being fully relevant didn't go over you. 

You kind of did revive the post so... but hozz is right, they stopped giving dates because there was a big stink raised when they used to give them and they failed to make the deadline and people got disappointed. So yea I kind of don't blame them for keeping it hush - hush, but at the same time I will admit I would like to at least have a rough guesstimate. Either way though, I would rather Hinterland take their time and come up with something amazing, than to be rushed and come out with buggy junk. Trust me I mean that because one of my favorite games (The Sims) have sadly went downhill since being taken over by EA, and they always rush stuff out and it's not as well thought out / good as it used to be back in the first few games. 

So yea patience is definitely virtue, give them time I have absolute faith that Hinterland WILL deliver. I have been playing this game since probably around 2016? and this game has had many beautiful changes! I absolutely applaud Hinterland for making the tough decision to go back and do the redux, not many companies are willing to take the hard earned money they make to go back and spend it on bettering the original story / gameplay. It was definitely a shock for me that Hinterland was willing to do that, and I will FOREVER be grateful for their sacrifice, thankfully I believe and well hope that they have made and will continue to make bank on that - they deserve it! 

So with all of this being said I can't wait to see what 2019 this year brings us with TLD! I wish the BEST for this game and the Company (Hinterland) ❤️ 

Lastly I do believe we will be seeing Episode 3 this year, of course I believe it will be later on... but again I am willing to wait, because I love Survival Mode too, and I am excited they'll be adding a Revolver etc. 

" When we can play episodes 3-5???  "

I'm not particularly bothered.  I find the Survival game much more interesting, challenging and enjoyable.  In the Wintermute game so many of the Survival features are not available so I find it frustrating.

Maybe lets not feed this year old topic that was resurrected by someone, who is clearly very bitter that the Hinterland reacted to the negative reviews and chose to re-work the story mode to be better before moving forward to Episode 3.

Locking thread as it's an old one that was resurrected. We understand that players are anxious for the continuation of WINTERMUTE but we are not providing any dates as to when that might occur. Our next update will be a Survival Mode Update and we've shared details on that in both the most recent Developer Diary and in various questions in the Milton Mailbag.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• Admin locked this topic