Cat tails: Not as awswome IRL as in TLD.

Alyosha

So my girlfriend brought home a cat tail, (or some norwegian variant, visually similar) from the shore of the local pond. *

Her intention was to keep it in a vase for decorative purposes. I, however, ceased my chance when she wasn't looking, and took a healthy bite. And let me be quite frank: I was rather dissapointed by the taste in real life.  It had a definite feel of cotton in my mouth, and not much else. (I had just had a bite of dinner so maybe that was hindering me from savouring the real scrumptious taste?)

:D

(*A pond which do have a name, as a matter of fact.)

TLD cattails.JPG

7 minutes ago, GreenBeing said:

Thanks for taking one for the team.

My pleasure!

6 minutes ago, sierra 117 said:

:D:D:D. Oh this made me laugh so hard.

I might be mistaken but I think it's the root/stalk part of the plant which is edible.

And the bit you tried is the bit we use for tinder In game.

:D:D:D

I ate the wrong frigging part!?! Well, now I can claim to have eaten tinder as well! :o:D

Technically, the edible bit is at the root or "next year's stalk", but that is stuck in the mud, under the ice.  You could get to it.  Maybe.  But its going to be messy.  And a lot of work.

I don't worry so much about that.  Just imagine TLD takes place on another planet.  Not so different from our own.  But definitely different.

Cat tail, its the white stalk at the base (more tender) that you eat, the taste is somewhat similar to those canned bamboo that you can get at the supermarket. It totally edible, but taste almost nothing you can slice it and add it to a salad.  But I dont think there is that much calories in a cat tail stalk IRL

16 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

That's quite the experiment, @Alyosha. Thank you for sharing the results with us. As always, we don't recommend using The Long Dark as a guide to survival (or cuisine!) in the real world. We're glad you made it through OK. :rabbit:

Thank you for your concern. :) I am however, despite the impression one would have got from my original post, of rather sound body and mind. I would never be as daft to blame a video game for my rash and perhaps poor decisions. My significant other is schooled as an biologist and on top of that I did my own research to determine that it would be safe to take a small taste. 

21 hours ago, Flannix said:

http://www.ediblewildfood.com/cattail.aspx 

I also found a site with the calories values : 5 cal per serving ... 

https://www.healthbenefitstimes.com/cattail/

This is a good description :) 

Thank you, that's really helpful.:) I don't think that I will subsitute any part of my current diet in favor of cat tails though. :P But that's really neat to know, nevertheless.

Archived