Shotguns

darkstarmike

Hunting Shotgun [12 ga.]: A pump action shotgun for hunting deer and wolves; capable of killing bears and moose (instant kills only with close-range head-shots); use on rabbits reduces the amount of harvest-able meat, hide, and gut per kill.

Competition Shotgun [20 ga.]: An over-under break-action shotgun; kills small game instantly; can be used to kill deer and wolves (instant kills only with close-range head-shots); will only aggro moose and bears.

@MRE_MAN I'm pretty sure modern shotgun rounds use a plastic wad/cap to hold the shot together within the casing, and as it travels down the barrel. Did you mean to say that firing a shotgun in high wind could potentially burn the user, because hot gases can be blown from the action, onto the shooter's hands and face?

9 minutes ago, darkstarmike said:

@MRE_MAN I'm pretty sure modern shotgun rounds use a plastic wad/cap to hold the shot together within the casing, and as it travels down the barrel. Did you mean to say that firing a shotgun in high wind could potentially burn the user, because hot gases can be blown from the action, onto the shooter's hands and face?

Respectfully, no. Unfortunately for Will Mackenzie and Astrid (if they choose to use a shotgun) the island of Great Bear was harshly affected by an economic crash and more importantly their isolation affects everyday life. This includes availability to supplies when Great Bear didn’t go to shit. That being said I don’t think they’d have the saftey precautions we have nowadays.

I didn’t take into account for hot gas but I think that the wrapping burning Mackenzie/ Astrid would be a more probable injury.

@MRE_MAN If there were actual blackpowder firearms in the game, they would utilize paper wadding though. I was thinking of posting one myself. It would have one shot, and be very slow to reload, but the player could somewhat realistically craft bullets, powder and wadding. It could be some kind of reproduction flintlock, owned by some old gun-nut from Great Bear, and then it wouldn't even need priming caps.

6 hours ago, darkstarmike said:

@MRE_MAN If there were actual blackpowder firearms in the game, they would utilize paper wadding though. I was thinking of posting one myself. It would have one shot, and be very slow to reload, but the player could somewhat realistically craft bullets, powder and wadding. It could be some kind of reproduction flintlock, owned by some old gun-nut from Great Bear, and then it wouldn't even need priming caps.

Better make it a Hawkin Rifle then.

johnson.gif

@GreenBeing I sincerely doubt it could get 60 rounds out before needing to be cleaned. I've heard 12-15 max, before it's just too clogged to use. Reproductions of this, and many many other early firearm models, are manufactured by at least one company I've heard of. It's not completely out of the realm of reality that someone would own one, and it being a reproduction, it could actually function better than an original. The reason I suggested a reproduction flintlock, rather than a modern blackpowder hunting rifle, is to have a firearm that would still be usable even if the player has already found and used all the .303 ammo in world. A modern rifle would still require priming caps, which aren't feasibly craft-able. The player would have to make fulminating mercury or bromine (which isn't extremely hard), and also make small, perfectly sized copper caps, and then combine the two. Fulminating substances are very unstable and dangerous, which is why even though they've been known to science since the Renaissance, they weren't successfully employed as primers until the 19th century. 

Archived