Snow Cache (campcraft)

darkstarmike

This would function similarly to the snow cave, but would instead serve as a deploy-able outdoor container. Food stored within would be safe from scavengers, and would have a reduced decay rate. Crafting materials might include sticks, stones, and cloth/leather/hides. The snow cache itself could also have a decay rate; needing repair/replacement after a certain length of time. Beyond its primary game-play function, this mechanic would improve immersion with realism.   

Why in the world would I want a "deplorable outdoor container" haha? (guessing that auto-correct is having her way with you)

I like the idea, however, in all of the bear country that I have been in, it is always recommended that you hang your food high off of the ground. Not only does it make it hard to get at, but it helps keep the scent off of your camp.

6 minutes ago, GreenBeing said:

Why in the world would I want a "deplorable outdoor container" haha? (guessing that auto-correct is having her way with you)

I like the idea, however, in all of the bear country that I have been in, it is always recommended that you hang your food high off of the ground. Not only does it make it hard to get at, but it helps keep the scent off of your camp.

Nope, I want players to feel bad about using IRL winter survival techniques, in a winter survival game (obvious sarcasm should be obvious). Thanks for pointing that out. That should've auto-corrected to "deploy-able." You're also very right about suspending food; can't believe I forgot about that. Perhaps we could have both; snow caches could have an increased likelihood of drawing carnivores, while tree caches are safe, but require a mountaineering rope to craft.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken but I think that even if you leave your meat outside of a bulding (so that it decays way slower than keeping it inside), be raw or cooked and wolves like hanging around that place, they don't eat your meat... I haven't lost food pieces to scavenging (except when used as decoy but that is not the case here)

@dragonslayer587 Honestly, I'm pretty sure you're right, but I think that's immersion-breaking; you pick up meat, carnivores smell it, they track you down, but if you leave it (not as a decoy) they don't care. It might just be a game-play consideration made by the developers, or an oversight. Either way, this is one instance where I wish the game were both more realistic and harder. I also never build snow caves; the only time I tried it I got frostbite. I know most of my suggestions are weapons, but I also would like to see more campcraft.

Archived