Realistic wear, or increase in resources.

EternityTide

One thing that has gotten on my nerves in the game is the rate at which tools deteriorate, specifically the hatchet, but also the rifle and hunting knife as well.

IRL, I frequently use an axe to cut firewood, especially now that winter is drawing close. It's a steel head with a fibreglass plastic handle, about 0.8 metres from the toe (top end of the axehead's cutting edge) to the end knob (the very end of the handle), with a 2Kg head. I've used this axe for over 3 years now, and although it needs a little love (I need to strip down the rust on the blade and resharpen it) it still splits wood nicely.

The hatchet in game degrades at a ridiculous rate, requiring the player to comb the edges of the map to find the last few scraps of metal to repair it.

The hunting knife I haven't yet reached a point where I'm running out, but it's fairly close to doing so. Again, IRL knives do not run out this fast.

The Hunting Rifle, I'll admit, is old, and probably rusty, but the rate at which it degrades is a little over the top. Maybe if it degraded by 1% per one or two shots, I would be happy, but currently I think it degrades at about 4-5% per shot, which, frankly, is unrealistic.

There are two ways I can see this problem be corrected:

1. Tool degradation is reduced to a more realistic decay rate (this is my preferred option)

2. More materials such as scrap metal and fir wood be made available.

This comes up a lot. Right now there is still some balancing going on since the game is in alpha. one of the common suggestions is to add maintaining of knives, guns, etc. Something along the lines of animal fat or oil to prevent rust and whet stone or smooth rocks to sharpen stuff.

One thing that would make the current degeneration make sense is changing the items from a hatchet to a rusty hatchet. Saying tools had been heavily used by there former owner or left outside to rust would add validity to the in could break after a days use.

Also I think some metals get brittle at low temperatures but I'm not the expert on that kind of stuff.

I agree with your mentioning that properties of metals change due to environmental conditions, but I highly doubt that the ingame hatchet is composed of iron, which is brittle in cold conditions (just refer to the Titanic, which had it's entire hull built from cast iron plates, It then got cold from the Atlantic waters and would've shattered upon impact, rather than bend like steel would) I would think that the axe is made from steel.

I agree that it's likely these tools are secondhand and not likely to have been cared for in the conditions, but since the Trapper would have relied on his rifle for a living, he would keep it in pristine condition.

But yes, I agree that preservatives and similar mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

This has been brought up before, but sure, let's go through it again. :D

Of course, there is still much need for some adjustments. But to make the wear on items "realistic" would equal breaking the game. A hatchet lasts several years, same as can openers, bedrolls, clothing, well, even food will last for years when canned. So, how would you increase difficulty while still maintaining enjoyability? If you made things realistic, you would end up with a game that would best be called The Long Hike or The Long Wait.

Yes, the decay rates should be reduced, same as the wear on each item per use. But having below 2% decay per use would make tools much too strong in my opinion if you can repair them on top of that.

The more I play this game, most of the wear and tear is ok to me except for the hatchet. I do think 10% per hour use is a bit much, especially when I accidently use it inside (totally my fault but still annoying lol). Something around 5% would be good for me.

I'm sure we will see changes to item wear in tomorrow's update so holding off too much comment until after then

The more I play this game, most of the wear and tear is ok to me except for the hatchet.

I think you nailed the reason why this keeps popping up. When you start playing the game this really seems like a huge problem. So people come to the forum and start another post on how things degrade too fast. Then as you play the game more, you find it's really not so big an issue. You just need to learn how to store your things first.

Does it need tweaking? YES! Should we have realistic degradation? ABSOLUTELY NOT. If we do that, the first thing to degrade (or rather die) will be the player. So why have a repairing mechanism in the first place? And if no repairing, why have cloth and scrap metal? And following that, why have a harvesting mechanic? So like @Trandor said, it will completely break the game.

Right now, the only real problem I have with degradation is the hatchet when used for foraging wood. 10% per hour is way too much. Other than that, I think the rates for using the rifle and knife need a little tweaking, but not much and general degradation rates for items not in your inventory especially tool need some tweaking as well. But all of this I have already detailed in other posts.

Yes, I still use my fathers axe and I'm told it's around 45 years old. As well I use a crowbar I found at the bottom of a lake that was said to be at least 75 years old as it was in a sunken work camp. I also carry a knife I have for roughly 10 years nearly every day and I sharpen it with a rock most days. Why the hell is shit even considered to deteriorate in these time frames?

Well, if there was a stamp that said 'Made in the PRC' on the side of them, it would make more sense.

Yes, I still use my fathers axe and I'm told it's around 45 years old. As well I use a crowbar I found at the bottom of a lake that was said to be at least 75 years old as it was in a sunken work camp. I also carry a knife I have for roughly 10 years nearly every day and I sharpen it with a rock most days. Why the hell is shit even considered to deteriorate in these time frames?

A: Because this game is still in alpha and these things are still getting tuned.

B: As I said before, if things had realistic degradation they could remove the concept from the game completely...

C: Because these are not real world items, but rather digital items stored in your PC's RAM and things in RAM deteriorate much faster.

I agree that things degraded too fast, and apparently so did the devs considering this has been changed in v1.52. Hopefully things will be better now.

• 1 month later...

Well, if there was a stamp that said 'Made in the PRC' on the side of them, it would make more sense.

Geez man you make us Canadians sound cheap... ;) I too have several of my father's tools and stuff and they're in great working order after 40-50 yrs

Archived