Linux client crashing and/or going unresponsive and to black screen

nannerpuss

So I know as Linux nerds we're generally left to sort it out for ourselves, but I'm confused on this and exactly who I need to be reporting this to. Just don't want to waste your time or mine and give you a whole new set of logs and output for a platform you may not even support here on this site. But essentially I'm experiencing the same crashing or odd visual issues as Windows players since the latest update. The 64bit client (launched from either Native or Runtime Steam) is not starting period and the 32bit version starts after about 30-40 seconds of initialization, but only after left click on my frozen GUI. The logs report a plugin failure related to Wwise audio.

Before I spam reems of data or mess with the output log uploading, I just want to make sure I'm even in the right place and I'm more curious if other Linux users are experiencing it too or if it's distro/Mesa/AMD specific. Here's my base system stats and game version:

Distro: Arch Linux AMD FX-6100 Six-Core w/ 8GB RAM (Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-D3P)

Kernel:     4.14.9-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7  Client Shell: zsh (but I do use bash for stdout and logging's sake)

Graphics: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]
                Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
                Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz

OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.9-1-ARCH, LLVM 5.0.1) version: 4.5 Mesa 17.3.1

This card fell just barely on the right side this past year when AMD decided which cards get further support and which don't. OpenGL 4.5 on this card is hit-or-miss depending on features, but DX11 emulation has been working fine for me in EVE Online, although Tesselation effects were giving it a hard time. I'll upload the log and stuff if this is the place for it. Thanks.

Edit: Game version is v1.21 33995

Edit 2: I am wondering if mesa/llvm are the root issue. There are several very similar sounding bug reports on Bugzilla, similar to this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103769

Hi @nannerpuss thanks for your post. You are indeed in the right place to ask for help with technical issues with running The Long Dark. Just a heads up, though -- The Long Dark isn't officially supported on Archlinux . Our supported OS list is limited by what Unity supports, so our assistance will be pretty limited. 

That said, you are welcome to post your debug log for us to take a look at, and other Linux users are welcome to share any insights they might have regarding your issue.

Archived