What do?

Rancid

I have only recently started playing The Long Dark and exploring the maps and searching for my next shelter is wholeheartedly the best experience I have ever had while playing a game. I am not playing survival mode outside of the maps that were in episode 1 and 2 because when the other episodes come out i want to explore the landscapes for the first time so i can truly enjoy it. But I also really want to go out and explore. What do?

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's plenty of game to be had in Survival Mode just on the maps that Wintermute offers so far. You've got all the animals, all the gameplay elements, you've got a forge, you've got varied maps, harder and easier places to spend time in. If you want to keep the other maps fresh and unexplored for future story episodes, I say do it.

You might want to include the Ravine and Winding River transition maps in your game, though, to get the most out of it. It should give you warning before leaving a map so you don't accidentally stumble into one you didn't want to see yet.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, Rancid said:

I am not playing survival mode outside of the maps that were in episode 1 and 2 because when the other episodes come out i want to explore the landscapes for the first time so i can truly enjoy it.

Is there some advice somewhere that the next episode/s will take you into these existing regions? Not exploring them until more content is released also means you can't play challenges.

• 2 weeks later...

!warning story mode spoilers ahead!

Considering how the wintermute story is going so far, the only regions (out of the ones that are currently in the game) you should be afraid of "spoiling" for yourself is Pleasant valley and Timberwolf mountain.

This is because in wintermute, everyone keeps saying that you need to go north and there is an official map that features a new region north of pleasant valley (where you are headed at the end of ep2) that has not been released yet and is supposedly going to be part of story mode.

So unless Mathis kidnaps you and takes to the other side of the island, you should be fine exploring the other regions, but who knows what the devs are planning.

Anyway I hope I helped

Archived