Bought because it was out of Early Access - Feel ripped off.

Archy_84

I've been following this game for a few years, however after being stung too many times with early access that didn't deliver, I waited until this officially released, specifically for the story mode. I've just finished episode 2, and had the jarring experience of being thanked for my support, and the rest of the game will follow on at an indeterminate point in the future.

At this point I want to launch into a curse ridden  tirade over this sort of behaviour from various game developers, but as that will no doubt get this post banned, I'll refrain. You released a product saying it was  fully functional, (as opposed to early access), this was not advertised as an episodic adventure aka the Walking Dead, I have no interest in a Sandbox that has no definitive end, which is apparently  the entire point now I've had a look at the forum. Another Indie game to delete from my steam list, waste of bloody time, I should have stuck to EU IV. Wankers. 

• Upvote 1

A lot of people did feel disappointed about story, including long time fans. Even I though it wasn’t everything I wished, but they’re still coming out with stuff, including more story episodes (which they say will be better, as the first 2 were introductory and a tutorial). But as of now, the game is more about survival mode, and if you don’t like it, which is perfectly fine, you don’t need to be rude and call the devs wankers.

• Upvote 4

I understand the frustration anyone might have with the story mode, but don't feel to ripped off as you will get the remaining episodes for the purchase price.  I personally don't hold much hope for those episodes but you never know.  I do feel for the poor people who bought this game for the story mode, because quite frankly it was WAY over hyped and isn't even close to being worth the full purchase price or what it was hyped up to be.  I would encourage you to try the sandbox mode, but if you aren't into that I guess you will just have to wait another 18 months or whatever it takes to finish to find out if you got your money's worth.

I can't recall just how much information is given on the game for those who are considering buying it.  If it was not clearly spelled out what the state of the game is in, I can understand the frustration.  Could have left out the name-calling...

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.1.2018 at 6:55 PM, hozz1235 said:

I can't recall just how much information is given on the game for those who are considering buying it.  If it was not clearly spelled out what the state of the game is in, I can understand the frustration.  Could have left out the name-calling...

Expectation is both a matter of perspective and, well, horizon. 

The steam store page does mention that Wintermute is episodic. That being said, this quote is from halfway down the store page. 

The episodic story-mode for The Long Dark, WINTERMUTE launches with two of the five episodes that form its Season One. 

• Upvote 2

I feel sorry for those who base their opinion entirely on the story mode. Not because they've done anything wrong, I'm certainly not trying to push buttons. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who doesn't dive into survival mode and play this masterpiece for what it was for all of us for so long. I remember longing for story mode to come out for such a long time. The game is so good that it has become my all time favorite game. It can create a mood within you like no other game I've experienced. The story mode to me was a bit of a lesser triumph. I did enjoy it, but when I played through it, the difficulty was set and not changeable. It felt like voyageur to me, and was just too easy. I'm glad they have added the option to make it more challenging, and maybe I will give that a try now, since I didn't finish all of the side missions any way. In my opinion, survival mode or what we called sandbox for so long is the real attraction of the game. If anyone reads this who feels let down because they bought it for story mode and that doesn't appeal to them so much, I would implore you to dive into survival mode and immerse yourself. No missions, other than those you create for yourself. That still gives you much to do. In fact, you will find yourself busier than you can imagine. You will always find yourself behind on time and wishing you had one more hour of daylight to accomplish some goal that you feel needs to be already done. Any way, I've waxed on about it for long enough. Good gaming to you all!

• Upvote 4

On 1/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, cekivi said:

The steam store page does mention that Wintermute is episodic. That being said, this quote is from halfway down the store page. 

I think the Steam Store page is a bit vague on this, too. But it does also say at the end of main promo video that only Episodes 1 & 2 are released in the August launch of the game.

And given that the OP claims to have been following the game for years, I don't really see how he could have missed this bit of information - unless he's been following it by not reading the Dev announcements?

• 1 year later...

So it's now two years on and the game still is nowhere near finished. Another developer that's promised the world and failed to deliver,.Enjoy the endless survival modes lads, this game is clearly going to be abandoned before it's anywhere near the finished product. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Archy_84 said:

So it's now two years on and the game still is nowhere near finished. Another developer that's promised the world and failed to deliver,.Enjoy the endless survival modes lads, this game is clearly going to be abandoned before it's anywhere near the finished product. 

It is not going to be abandoned. We realize that not everyone is following us on social media, reads interviews about the game or knows what’s going on but we have been releasing sizable free content updates regularly. 

If the game had come out and nothing had been released your view would be reasonable. As it stands however it seems to run counter to the evidence and have been worded in a particular combative manner. 

You seem particularly upset that we thank our players for their support. We understand that not every culture is into being polite and grateful but surely it is better to acknowledge the support of people than to continually expect them to do so. 

On the topic of politeness please familiarize yourself with our forum rules before continuing to post. We do have higher expectations for our posters here. You can criticize the game but we do expect polite discourse and that you treat others with respect including the development team. 

Thank you. 

• Like 8

• Admin locked this topic