Crazy Animals

VR00MER28

Not a bad idea, but I'd want it to either be an option or get some special reward for dealing with "boss" critters.  Maybe an extra strong pelt or something that can make better versions of the existing clothes.  If it's just for the challenge, definitely make it an option you can turn off.

Thinking a little more, extremely rare animals that may not show up (if at all) until late in the game (over 100 days?, pick your number) that give you better gear might be something to make the late game more adventurous.  You see a new marking that shows the super-bear is active, and you can track it down across regions trying to catch it.  Something productive to do when you're trying to reach 500.

1 minute ago, Prestermatt said:

Not a bad idea, but I'd want it to either be an option or get some special reward for dealing with "boss" critters.  Maybe an extra strong pelt or something that can make better versions of the existing clothes.  If it's just for the challenge, definitely make it an option you can turn off.

100% no. Absolutely no. Just because there is a stronger animal, it does not necessarily mean that the reward for killing it is something wonderful. This is computer game logic right there - and it's incredibly immersion breaking. We don't want the game to downgrade to other survival games where you have locations to go to and kill boss critters for better equipment. 

Instead, this is simply a case of luck. It would make hunting more unpredictable, which is a good thing - it is that way in the real world, too. Sometimes, you would just run into animals that are too much for you (even better if you couldn't recognize them to be dangerous very easily) - and your options would be to retreat, to either avoid them in the future or take your chance to taking them down by some other means, or risk death and bad injury, trying to take them down immediately, for an average reward of resources.

The only "difference" I would be comfortable with is that taking down an "elite" bear would mean the carcass is more likely to have 50kg of meat, rather than 35kg. Which makes sense on the immersion side as well - a big, tough bear is likely well fed, and huge, so there is more meat to take from him as well. Maybe, in case of a bear in particular, it could also have 12 guts to harvest, since its huge. But the hide, the most valuable part of the animal, stays the same.

8 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

until late in the game (over 100 days?, pick your number) that give you better gear might be something to make the late game more adventurous.  You see a new marking that shows the super-bear is active, and you can track it down across regions trying to catch it.

Ugh. Do you want to ruin this game on purpose? Why does every survival game ever need to have bosses with "ultimate" gear as reward and GUI to find them with? Why can't they simply be an obstacle, with no reward at all, and simply a risk of hunting, to make the general hunting more challenging?

Do you want to have it more of an "advanced game" kind of mechanic? Then how about this: The tougher animals could be found from the start of the game, but the longer the game goes on, the more frequent they would be. There would be no bonus for taking them down, just normal resources - but visually, they would look to be bigger then your average animal, and they would provide a bigger stock of meat if killed. They would also be tougher to kill, (lowering critical chance to kill them than average animals) - though bleeding would stay the same. If mauled by them, the player would be on average hurt more seriously.

And, at the same time, there would be a chance to run into a weaker animal. These would appear slightly smaller then others, it would be "younger" adult versions of the animal, there would be higher crit chance against them, and killing them would provide on the average smaller score of meat per kill. Also, if mauled by them, the damage on average would be smaller. These animals would be more rare, but more frequent early on, and as the game goes on, they would become rarer. Also, in case of big animals, they could provide less guts to harvest.

This is immersive, makes hunting less predictable, and still possesses "some sort of a reward" for killing these stronger animals. But it doesn't introduce those ridiculous mechanics found in the other survival games which have killed the enjoyment in them for so many players over the years. 

Once the bear in Desolation Point would stalk you all the way out to the Riken. Unless I got real lucky and he happened to be everywhere I was at the same time....

But I'd like to see that come back. A bear or wolf pack that would constantly follow you wherever you went if you happened to wander into their den/territory or if you happened upon them in the wild. If you have meat/blood it would increase the chances of them following you or make them follow you further. This would continue for a few days and eventually they won't stop staying outside the location you spend most of your time in. Also, I wish they would eat the meat you place outside.

8 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Also, I wish they would eat the meat you place outside.

While I understand the desire for this to happen, I think that, unless you never see them doing it, there is a risk of being left with a never ending supply of wolf steaks delivered straight to your front door.

As it is, the scent mechanic has made it super easy to kill wolves and I would prefer them to be given a few more smarts instead of seeing them trotting to their doom from miles away.

And if animals are going to start following me, why carry food when the food can walk behind me on it's own four legs?

However I feel that there is a real need for something to provide late game interest. At the moment there is nothing. Usually I start to get bored by day 150 and by day 200 am only too glad to shelve it. All the interest from the struggle in the early game has vanished.

This current game has been slightly different. I set about looting all maps and then revisiting them all, mapping as I went. Most days I have to put an arrow into something to survive. After nearly 600km the mapping is done but the game has held my attention like seldom before for 280 days. It's been great. Now though if I try to continue to 500 days I'm wondering just what in the hell I'm going to do for another (groan) 220 days.

6 hours ago, mystifeid said:

While I understand the desire for this to happen, I think that, unless you never see them doing it, there is a risk of being left with a never ending supply of wolf steaks delivered straight to your front door.

As it is, the scent mechanic has made it super easy to kill wolves and I would prefer them to be given a few more smarts instead of seeing them trotting to their doom from miles away.

And if animals are going to start following me, why carry food when the food can walk behind me on it's own four legs?

However I feel that there is a real need for something to provide late game interest. At the moment there is nothing. Usually I start to get bored by day 150 and by day 200 am only too glad to shelve it. All the interest from the struggle in the early game has vanished.

This current game has been slightly different. I set about looting all maps and then revisiting them all, mapping as I went. Most days I have to put an arrow into something to survive. After nearly 600km the mapping is done but the game has held my attention like seldom before for 280 days. It's been great. Now though if I try to continue to 500 days I'm wondering just what in the hell I'm going to do for another (groan) 220 days.

Yeah but if you play on Stalker or above, parasites become an issue. You can't just eat wolf meat all you want.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:29 AM, mystifeid said:

This is a great point.  I continue to be disappointed by the simplicity of the animal behavior.  I suppose that's why I keep playing with O.B. - he keeps me on my toes and every now and again he still surprises me.  The wolves never surprise me in any way.

Wolves did change quite a bit. They are much easier to deal with then those pesky old ones. At least from my perspective - though it is true they were easy to sneak past before...

The animal mechanics should change, for sure. Even animals like deer should posses some element of risk, too - a buck can injure the hunter. I think what we really want from animals is more unexpected behaviour - sadly that is very difficult to achieve in a computer game, with a single entity AI.

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

They are much easier to deal with then those pesky old ones.

This would depend on your definition of "old".

I have no idea what is possible now but at one point in Stalker you could just drop all your clothes and bedroll and go and struggle with a wolf - naked. Usually you had the health to do this two to three times in one day. Hunt them with rifle/bow for a day or two while health recovered then back to the naked wrestling. My best in Stalker, before I stopped playing it, was 180 wolves in 200 days with 81 struggles. And most probably there were people with much higher totals.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

This would depend on your definition of "old".

I have no idea what is possible now but at one point in Stalker you could just drop all your clothes and bedroll and go and struggle with a wolf - naked. Usually you had the health to do this two to three times in one day. Hunt them with rifle/bow for a day or two while health recovered then back to the naked wrestling. My best in Stalker, before I stopped playing it, was 180 wolves in 200 days with 81 struggles. And most probably there were people with much higher totals.

And now, you dont even have to wrestle them, but can chose to do so if you please - but now, you drop a decoy and drop it as it walks willingly in your line of fire. With a bow so no real damage to weapons. The old version I had in mind - there was no bow back then.  But that hardly relevant - fact is that their AI was less predictable then it is now. But yes, at all points, dealing with wolves was easy in some way - in this case, they hardly ever ran - so you could outsprint them if you chose to do so.

Well, I started with no bow too. Wolves have always been way too predictable and changing this would be great.

But getting back to the OP it would also be wonderful to see variants  of each creature introduced that are more dangerous and unpredictable.

Call me a misogynist but it would be cool if the female of each species was used for the purpose.

Archived