It's been a while

McSquishin

I poked my head in the door way back when the first forum came to be, but I figured since it's been so long I'd re-introduce myself.

I'm an American, but I've trekked up north a few times and have great love for the Canadian landscape. For a time I was a U.S. Army combat medic, but now I'm just a college student with a love for long strolls in the woods and improving upon my medical knowledge. Also, for a final bit of random McSquishin trivia, I love dogs. I have a corgi named Sebastian and he is an adorable little bastard. He knows it too.

Now that The Long Dark has been making some progress it'll be interesting to check in here and chat with the community.

Glad you decided to come back to the forum :)

As you can see, Raph and the Hinterland team have been busy as heck working on the game -- so stay tuned because there is a lot of exciting news, updates, more screenshots, video play, and a whole lot more about to be shared over the next couple of months.

Oh yeah -- and we have a new forum now (wasn't sure if anybody noticed that part) :lol:

I got the #40 update in my email yesterday and was seriously impressed with how awesome things were turning out. If that's just the tip of the iceberg then I can't wait to see what the next couple months have in store. Out of curiosity, why the switch in forums?

Out of curiosity, why the switch in forums?

The Vanilla forum simply wasn't functional enough to create a community active forum for all the backers, users, and fans. The structure was just too awkward for people to even follow posts or topics (and a lot of hugely popular threads would get bumped down lower and lower where they were forgotten or you had to scroll through page after page just to find again.

It also didn't allow for much control over the looks, admin controls, or additions and enhancements for all the users. One very big issue was you also had no way to tell if anybody else was even on the board, so it always felt like you were along in an empty room, staring at a wall.

The Hinterland team are so oriented towards the community feel, and their desire to make everybody feel welcomed and part of the Hinterland family ["Hinterlanders"] -- so while it takes a lot more effort to manage a larger board system such as the new one, it also let's the forum grow and expand with new features and options to help make the board more enjoyable for everybody. :)

• Hinterland

Welcome (back) to the community, McSquishin. As Bill mentioned, Vanilla just didn't offer us the kind of customizability we were looking for, despite being a nice modern looking forum (which is why I was originally drawn to it). But forums grow organically and we needed the tools to make that happen. Bill and others sold me on the benefit of switching to this setup, and so far it's been a no brainer.

Glad you're here with us.

Archived