Ice Box

Cbarre23

4 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

And also make it so that wolves can find meat on the ground and eat it (I am not sure if this is already the case).

It's not, unless you drop it when they are actively tracking you (like a decoy).  But it would sure make the game different if they implemented this.  I think it would be a good thing.

The thing is, it doesnt look like Hinterland has a plan for us to build much structures. So, this freezer would have to be found in the game already. Which is not impossible to consider, many people would have something like this not that far from their house. For example Dick Proenekke who built his own cabin in the Canada in the 60s, built himself a small housing for his food supplies, high into the air so that the animals couldnt reach it. But on the outside of his house to use the cold temperatures for slowing down the spoilage.

I think the box would have to be found. It would also have limited amount of storage. And I think that dropping the meat outside just like that would also act as a the ice box, but the ice box would be safe from predators - whereas the dropped food would have a chance of spawning a wolf or two, who would consider it a "decoy" - zeroed on it, and ate it. This would punish players with huge food stores as the wildlife would regularly raid them, decreasing their supply.

Its not a bad idea, except for the "crafted part" - you really have no idea how incredibly difficult it would be to "dig" into a frozen ground like in TLD, with no tools. It would be nigh impossible task.

I like Dick Proenekke. I watched all of his old videos. I think that was in Alaska by a lake though.  
I actually want to do something sort of similar to what he did.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Its not a bad idea, except for the "crafted part" - you really have no idea how incredibly difficult it would be to "dig" into a frozen ground like in TLD, with no tools. It would be nigh impossible task.

Yeah. That is true actually. About digging into frozen ground.

15 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

I like Dick Proenekke. I watched all of his old videos. I think that was in Alaska by a lake though.  

You are probably right. All I know is that I was searching on the rams, and where they live, and they lived in the Canada as well - as one of the potential TLD animals that could be added, as an animal specific to Timberwolf mountain. But they live in Alaska as well, and I think you are correct, that Proenekke lived in Alaska.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:52 PM, XAlaskan_420X said:

Yeah. That is true actually. About digging into frozen ground.

When I say ice box, I mostly mean existing freezers in the home already that we use as shelters. Pack them with snow. Or use the trunk of a car as an outside ice box. Refrigerators are insulated, so while the snow will still slowly melt it will also retain the cold from the snow. It won't freeze the food but should slow down decomposition thus reducing bacterial growth (not eliminate) and reducing risk of foodborne illness.

I've actually considered storing food in the car trunk since I first saw a car in the game. It would be nice to pack a trunk full of meat & let the weather freeze it so I wouldn't have to lug it around with me.  Food stored in a car trunk should last much longer than being stored indoors, and since the meat is inside a metal container, it would be safe from wolves.  An interesting consequence could be as you return to retrieve your stored food, a pack of wolves could be lingering about since they could still smell the meat!  And you would have to let the meat thaw out before being able to consume it - it's perplexing that I can drop a bottle of water & return to it three game days later & find it hasn't frozen!  

My idea is like this: Use cedar and scrap metal to craft an icebox with a latch at a workstation. The latch is to protect the food from predators. This craftable icebox can be placed outside (anywhere above ground) like a bed.

Underground iceboxes would be a problem because of the frozen ground. In order to make that work you would have to find a place where there is already a hole in the ground (about the right size), then you insert the icebox and fill around it with snow, then pack the inside of the box with snow, then put the food in.

The trunk is a good idea, I think I will start doing that.
I agree with the lingering wolves smelling the food, I think that would be immersive.
Maybe they walk up to the trunk or icebox sniff it, circle it a few times, search the area. Then they should also give up and move on.

That might work, but I fear even with my real-world building skills, I wouldn't be able to craft a wooden icebox strong enough to keep out a curious, hungry bear! 

Now possibly making it out of some of those metal shelves they have all over the game - that could be an option that would help keep the critters at bay!

Bottom line is the entire game world is a big outdoor freezer, so it's silly that my fish & deer meat is spoiling in my backpack when I should be able to just set it outside to preserve it!  It's what I do in real life when a blizzard knocks out power (although I don't have to worry about wolves stealing the food from my back porch)!

5 hours ago, Jason G said:

I've actually considered storing food in the car trunk since I first saw a car in the game. It would be nice to pack a trunk full of meat & let the weather freeze it so I wouldn't have to lug it around with me

Then do it. What is stopping you? Trunk is considered as an outside container, if you stuff meat into an outside container, it will spoil just as slowly as if you left it on the ground. Many people use outside containers for meet storing because it is more convenient that way for them, instead of having to pick apart piles of meat, they can just open a container and take out the one that is most ripe for cooking.

5 hours ago, Jason G said:

That might work, but I fear even with my real-world building skills, I wouldn't be able to craft a wooden icebox strong enough to keep out a curious, hungry bear! 

Now possibly making it out of some of those metal shelves they have all over the game - that could be an option that would help keep the critters at bay!

You really think that a bit of metal would stop the bear? :D

It wouldn't. You would find bears, dining on garbage in garbage cans, afterall.

The idea of such an icebox would be that its hidden. Even if the wildlife has a keen sense of smell, if that ice box was made out of wooden construction what was poured by a water, which then froze - the ice would not only cool down the meat, slowing its decay, but also stop all the smell of it inside, sealing it off from curious animals.

Then again, most people in these lands would either build a high container with a ladder to it to hide it from the animals, or they would hang the meat up on a rope and hang it to a tree, far from reach of the other animals. Usually far away from their campsite to not bring the predators right to where you sleep.

23 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Then again, most people in these lands would either build a high container with a ladder to it to hide it from the animals, or they would hang the meat up on a rope and hang it to a tree, far from reach of the other animals. Usually far away from their campsite to not bring the predators right to where you sleep.

True.
It has got to be scary in the morning walking to the food ladder-hut :/ . I have always wondered about that.

Anyways, I have killed the bear in Milton near the bridge with the cars. (Almost died doing it). I decided to harvest everything and I stored a lot of the raw meat in the car trunk. Mostly for immersion and role-playing (pretending I am protecting the meat from the crows).
I am recording my gameplays and putting it on youtube now. I will use certain time marks on certain videos for referencing various things.

Archived