Bed Crafting

Prestermatt

I'd like the ability to make a (permanent) bed.

With the new update, I've been exploring Milton for the first time, and I've noticed quite a few makeshift "beds" in many of the shelters.  I think we should be able to construct those ourselves, to use when we want to set up a base somewhere where there isn't already a bed (the Dam, the Stone Church, your favorite cave, etc.).  That way, you don't have to mess around with setting down the bedroll, remembering to pick it up, worrying about decay, etc.  Given that such permanent, makeshift beds exist in the game already, even in outside locations, I don't see the harm in letting us build our own where we want to.

To balance out the potential power of this, I'd set the crafting requirements fairly high.  Lots of cloth, furs, and whatnot.  Maybe even require an actual bedroll, which you would have to sacrifice.  That would ensure people aren't just spamming them everywhere.  It would be a one or two a game kind of choice.

But, it would make long term living in an unconventional location, like the Stone Church or the TWM summit, a little easier.

This is no bed idea (:D) but for me as a player, it would be a waste of time and the bearskin bedroll is a better and portable version of a bed. I would rather make one of these instead of wasting furs for a stationary object.

However, i like the cosmetical component of your idea. Being able make bedsheets out of furs that simply are going to waste anyways could be a nice gimmick for late game stages :)

14 minutes ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

for me as a player, it would be a waste of time and the bearskin bedroll is a better and portable version of a bed.

I agree this wouldn't be something everyone would take advantage of, and anyone living more nomadically would prefer the bedroll.  But I played a game for a while where I was living out of the Stone Church, and it was a pain managing the bedroll all the time. It would be nice to be able to install something permanent if you know you'll be staying there.

Hmm yeah okay i get your point. Shouldn´t be too hard to implement at all because beds are modelled already and could be placed the same way a snow shelter is placed in the game. Depending on which fur you use as bedsheets it could provide a smaller/higher amount of warmth bonus.

It won´t be a common thing but as you said:

6 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

I don't see the harm in letting us build our own where we want to.

5 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I'd like to see the foliage beds be craftable. Like the ones we see in the cave at the crash site and bottom of the ravine.

LOL, I suppose we would need actual foliage for that.  Or are you more the type who just prefers a bed of sticks and branches?

Archived