Most memorable death?

writeright1

I thought about this after I had uploaded this pic to the screenshot thread.

What's your most memorable or epic death in the game?

This death was in Forlorn Muskeg.  I had been nearly mauled to death by a wolf just minutes before and was dying of exposure and I only had a road flare for light while lost and I had managed to stumble blindly to the railroad tracks, but it was so dark I couldn't tell which direction I was facing.  I knew I was close to the Mystery Lake tunnel entrance and getting there was my only tiny, razor thin chance at survival when the bear attacked.  It was certainly my most cinematic death.  It was like the end of a horror movie, so close to death that everything was getting blurry and then having that monster appear to finish the job.

Bear.jpg

4 hours ago, Pegasus2 said:

Spawning in my first ever game, walking 30 ft into that  building, right i'm out the cold, *opens inventory window* "now how does this inventory system wor"....*mauled to death by a pair of jaws that flies out of the darkness*

Ouch.. yeah, TLD excels at brutal introductions to the game.. :D

Exploring the December update discovering the cave that lead to Mountain Town, try to find the ledge to go in the valley, to step too close to the cliff seeing a wolf turning around to shoot, backing off the threat  falling off the cliff snapping my neck and dying of pure agony... 

Not sure if there is one death :

Ending a nice 100 plus day run at the Carter Hydro Dam , not your typical death first get attacked by Fluffy destroys clothing so my condition and cloths take a huge hit. Then making the mistake of harvesting a carcass on the river on the back of the dam then dying of hypothermia trying to get back inside. 

Ending a 50 plus day run on Mystery Lake spent the day fishing at the first hut by the Camp Office and then getting attacked twice trying to walk back to my base. 

I remeber my death in timberwolf mountain. I was walking in the mountain and a wolf spotted me. I knew that i couldn't survive the attack so I started escaping and soon I found myself on the edge of the mountain and the wolf was still on me. "Screw this wolf, if I have to die I will not let that wolf get a tasty meal from me"

So I jumped down and it felt kinda cool. Until I hit the ground.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:06 PM, Pegasus2 said:

Spawning in my first ever game, walking 30 ft into that  building, right i'm out the cold, *opens inventory window* "now how does this inventory system wor"....*mauled to death by a pair of jaws that flies out of the darkness*

In earlier versions of the game, not sure about now, but maybe, it was possible to spawn very close to the entrance of the Dam (this is probably what you're talking about, right?)
I definitely made the same mistake. Being a new player, I thought about how lucky I was to start right next to a shelter! I checked out the deer corpse right outside first, then headed on inside. It was very dark and pretty quiet, except for a faint pitter-patter sound that slowly got slightly louder. As soon as I passed through the doorway into the main locker area, I heard "RUHRUHRUH!!" and died while reading the on-screen instructions on how to fight back.

5 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

In earlier versions of the game, not sure about now, but maybe, it was possible to spawn very close to the entrance of the Dam (this is probably what you're talking about, right?)
I definitely made the same mistake. Being a new player, I thought about how lucky I was to start right next to a shelter! I checked out the deer corpse right outside first, then headed on inside. It was very dark and pretty quiet, except for a faint pitter-patter sound that slowly got slightly louder. As soon as I passed through the doorway into the main locker area, I heard "RUHRUHRUH!!" and died while reading the on-screen instructions on how to fight back.

Yep, exactly that. You spawned in what is now the courtyard area.

I had the inventory screen in my face for the entire struggle.

It's gotta be when:

I was just mauled by the bear near Hibernia and staggering back to lighthouse over the bridge when I saw "a...wait....is that a Moose?! I haven't seen one of those yet.  Cool I'll shoot it for some food!"  

It proceeds to charge me!  Crack goes my rifle!  Moose doesn't give a damn! Bullwinkle is staring down at me disapprovingly.  Cracked ribs.  

Vision is blurred and I stand up staggering.  As soon as I stand up he turns to charge me again. I knew I wouldn't live through another charge so I try to dodge him and fall off the slope near Matts Truck.  My name IRL is Matt!

I jumped up screaming to my wife OMG I just died to a freaking moose!

I haven't been so humiliated since the first time I was killed by a hunter's pet pig in World of Warcraft.

• 2 weeks later...

I was dedicated to completely cleaning out the Dam of all boxes, crates, chairs...everything!  I work all day while I have light and place my bedroll wherever I can in the dark to sleep out the night.  Lesson learned:  don't blindly place your bedroll in the dam, especially when an aurora becomes active - I don't think I even felt the shock before The End...

My most memorable death was most likely before they did the save wipe last year. Knowing the update was incoming, I decided to just walk and die in the cold even though I was on a record of 42 days; I was located at the Farm House at Pleasant Valley and my character was starving due to me scavenging most human resources, and therefore decided to walk near the Barn. 

As I was walking to the Barn, I noticed a bear near a little hill and decided why not: I might as well continue for a few more minutes. I took my rifle out and shot the bear on it's side stomach. It stood up facing me, and as it roared I shot it in the stomach and it fell dead to the ground.

Suddenly, after killing my very first bear :ph34r:, I got super excited and thought to myself that I should continue the game a lot longer. However, as I got next to the bear's corpse, I heard the usual wolf growl, and the animal approached me at an alarming rate. I therefore decided to die with dignity, and I died with a wolf ripping my face and eating my liver :P.

I don't really have a most memorable death but I have a new most memorable non-death.

Was starting a new Interloper, spawned in PV so did the standard clearing of the farm house and tower before heading to Carter's.

When I woke up at the tower it was a typical PV day, ie blizzard, so I delayed heading off toward the Dam a few hours more than I normally would.   I decided to just eat the time and hit the two dear carcasses at the end of the cave connector and up at the dam entrance since the wind didn't blow my torch out.  The upshot of all of that is by the time I actually entered the dam I was drained and it was night fall.  My plan was to race to the trailers, catch some sleep and come back and spend a full day looting the dam.

Unfortunately as I'm racing through the lower dam an aurora hits and I run across live wires which burn the crap out of me.  I come to another set and try to slide past them but get burned there too and jump back.  So I'm now almost drained, at 1/4 health, stuck between a pair of live wires in the lower dam with no coffee and no bed roll.   I eat some food to at least stave off hunger condition hit but I'm forced to just sit there for hours watching my stamina finally drain and the associated accelerated condition hit.  Finally the aurora ends but I'm in the red, I light a torch and race for the trailer thinking please no wolf, please no wolf and just make it with what feels like seconds to spare. 

That was an excruciating RL hour with no way to speed things up and no way to tell if I was going to survive.  I almost just quit since I only had about an hour invested in the start in the first place.  I'm glad I didn't, this run has been a train wreck throughout with *still* no bed roll and my clothes  suck but it's day 64 and I'm still punching.  Currently just landed in CH on my continued bedroll quest.  Probably wander up to DP from there.

5 hours ago, belthize said:

That was an excruciating RL hour with no way to speed things up and no way to tell if I was going to survive. 

You can just kill time if you can't sleep.  If you go to your radial dial and click on the campfire symbol, you'll see a deck of cards, just select that and it lets you pass time for however you like.

56 minutes ago, writeright1 said:

You can just kill time if you can't sleep.  If you go to your radial dial and click on the campfire symbol, you'll see a deck of cards, just select that and it lets you pass time for however you like.

I should have said 'no safe way to speed up time'.  I was losing health so it was critical that I get moving the second the aurora ended.  As it turned out I probably only had 5 to 10 in game minutes to spare.  I guess I could have just kept my finger over the escape key and smacked it when I saw the lights turn off.

Archived