MAC version won't open

EricTheGreat12

I've got a iMAC with the following specs:

OS 10.12.5

Intel Core i5 Processor 2.8 Ghz  

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024mb

Memory 4GB

All has been working perfectly well since I bought the game last year, after the Resolute Outfitter update. But when I open it (with the new Rugged Sentinel Update), it will take me to the original disclaimer pop-up. But, when I try to left click, the music will start playing but I am stuck with a black screen. If I try to click again, the colored wheel appears, indicating that the application is frozen. I am therefore unable to reach the main menu and the title screen which includes " Funding from the Canadian Media Fund etc..."

Anyone else having problems ?

Numerous graphic bugs for me, but opens fine. Also using iMac, late 2013. Pretty much unplayable following update. Cabinets and the like have no doors, but behave as if they do. Buildings vanish, in daytime the colours flood the screen and at night darkness consumes - all was well previously. Frequently get stuck in the graphic mess. Ho hum. 

1 minute ago, Poodlefaker said:

Numerous graphic bugs for me, but opens fine. Also using iMac, late 2013. Pretty much unplayable following update. Cabinets and the like have no doors, but behave as if they do. Buildings vanish, in daytime the colours flood the screen and at night darkness consumes - all was well previously. Frequently get stuck in the graphic mess. Ho hum. 

It's interesting, because my friend just tried it on his MACBook 2016 , which is deemed a crappy computer that has to run on the lowest settings for computer games, and yet he hasn't had any bugs or glitches.

Definitely seems to be an overall problem with MAC and this update. Too bad; I was very impatient to get my hands on this..

I have experienced something similar on my linux box a while back, when I tried to turn the video settings up too high (in my case custom with all sliders cranked). It may be your video card is running out of vram with the new textures/beautification that have been added to the game?

24 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I have experienced something similar on my linux box a while back, when I tried to turn the video settings up too high (in my case custom with all sliders cranked). It may be your video card is running out of vram with the new textures/beautification that have been added to the game?

Thanks, all is well now. 

Apologies to OP if derailed your thread a tad. Hope you get fixed soon. 

10 minutes ago, Poodlefaker said:

Thanks, all is well now. 

Apologies to OP if derailed your thread a tad. Hope you get fixed soon. 

How'd you fix it?

26 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

I hear music, but the screen is black and the round color circle pops up (the circle basically means that the app is frozen) 

Ah, the beach ball of death. 

I'm in linux land. I found this:

<unity_prefs version_major="1" version_minor="1">
    <pref name="Language" type="string">RW5nbGlzaA==</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode" type="int">1</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Height" type="int">1080</pref>
    <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1920</pref>
    <pref name="UnitySelectMonitor" type="int">0</pref>
    <pref name="unity.cloud_userid" type="string">redacted</pref>
    <pref name="unity.player_session_background_time" type="string">redacted</pref>
    <pref name="unity.player_session_elapsed_time" type="string">redacted</pref>
    <pref name="unity.player_sessionid" type="string">redacted</pref>
</unity_prefs>

On my linux system, this file is at ~/.config/unity3d/Hinterland/tld. Not sure where you'd be finding that on a Mac, but it should have a similar naming convention. Maybe try switching "Screenmanager is Fullscreen mode" from 1 to 0 or vice versa.

1 hour ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

No worries :)

I’ve sent a complaint to their public bug site, all I need to do is wait..

In the meantime, you haven't already, please check out all these steps as well: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/1290691308593730337/

• Also be sure to note how to find your logs and submit them to support@hinterlandgames.com so the tech team can follow up if need-be. :coffee:

8 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

In the meantime, you haven't already, please check out all these steps as well: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/4/1290691308593730337/

• Also be sure to note how to find your logs and submit them to support@hinterlandgames.com so the tech team can follow up if need-be. :coffee:

Tried all of those steps, and re-downloaded Steam and The Long Dark.

I gave them the file for the player log (on the debug website), but if I don't hear anything back I'll send an email. Thanks Patrick :) 

Archived