Check your patches and options on the forum server

AZHockeyNut

10 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

The amount of Spam posts lately seems far greater than before. Is there something needing some tuning on your forum server or a patch to the software? It gets old to see it and there are kids in the forums as well as less savvy users who might fall for that crap.

We're aware of it and are looking into it. Thanks for your understanding. 

Hey guys. Up until June I was the lead admin for the mail to text gateway for one of the big 3 telecoms (~11 million users). Approximately 80% of the job was dealing with spammers (11 million user mail system that delivers as text messages means being a big fat target for all kinds of attempted fraud). If you're interested, I'd be down for consulting on how to manage that. Not knowing anything in particular about this forum software, but I'm sure it has hooks and I can think of a few ways you could help protect against that. Even simple policy changes can make a huge difference, and by hooking into the "Post" function I'm sure it'd be easy to do some very basic but effective filtering.

8 hours ago, stratvox said:

Hey guys. Up until June I was the lead admin for the mail to text gateway for one of the big 3 telecoms (~11 million users). Approximately 80% of the job was dealing with spammers (11 million user mail system that delivers as text messages means being a big fat target for all kinds of attempted fraud). If you're interested, I'd be down for consulting on how to manage that. Not knowing anything in particular about this forum software, but I'm sure it has hooks and I can think of a few ways you could help protect against that. Even simple policy changes can make a huge difference, and by hooking into the "Post" function I'm sure it'd be easy to do some very basic but effective filtering.

Thanks for the offer! We're in the middle of making some changes to the site, that once finished, should see a reduction in spam issues. In the meantime we have instituted a new filter that should help in the short-term. Spam is annoying, we certainly agree!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived