Something positive

JaySovereign

Okay, so this might be in the wrong place, but I thought I'd share what happened in the game a little while ago. I'm on my laptop, so I wasn't able to get any pictures of it, but it's still something I'll remember for quite a while.

Anyway, I was having a pretty rough go last week and decided to play the game to relax a bit as I usually do. My mood didn't get much better as I kept thinking about what'd happened and continued to dwell in my misery. I was hunting for the bunkers and it kept throwing blizzards my way, which wasn't helping at all.

Then I saw it. One of those rocks with the ribbons.  I think they're called cairns or something? Anyway, I like to click on them just to see what they'll say and this one read something along the lines of "Appreciate the little things in life!" or something similar. I thought it was nice and kept going, not thinking about it too much. I do like the ones that actually have unique text on them, too.

Turns out, that cairn was really close to the most useful bunker I've ever come across. It was loaded with two rifles and ammunition to last for days. Needless to say I was really happy and it made things a lot brighter for me. I'd never thought I'd come across something so uncanny and rare, as I usually stumble upon food bunkers, which I do appreciate, but still.

So, that alone made this game something I enjoy to something I love and it'll always hold a place in my heart.

Thank you, Hinterlands.

Ah yes.. the Hunter's Cache is an excellent find.. I've yet to encounter that one.

13 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

I'm on my laptop, so I wasn't able to get any pictures of it

Ah.. one of those weird laptops that doesn't have function keys, I'm guessing? I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw one. Couldn't believe any manufacturer would be that stupid.

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

Ah yes.. the Hunter's Cache is an excellent find.. I've yet to encounter that one.

Ah.. one of those weird laptops that doesn't have function keys, I'm guessing? I remember how shocked I was the first time I saw one. Couldn't believe any manufacturer would be that stupid.

It has the function keys, but the screenshots come out black and the laptop overheats easily so I play on my desktop more often.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hmm.. that's rather weird. May I ask what make and model it is?

HP Envy m6

processor: AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2.30 GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB

System: Windows 8, 64-bit

I know this isn't a technical support thread, but still. I've kind-of given up playing on the laptop at this point as it makes it difficult to sceenshot my lucky (or unlucky) days in the game. I have a good enough desktop to play the game and I'm happy for that. Now, if only my back would agree with me, haha.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

So that would be with the AMD Radeon HD 7660G, then?

Hmm.. are you playing at the native resolution?

Have you tried it in borderless windowed mode?

Yes, I've tried those and it's worked, but the computer overheats just too easily that it's not worth it. Thank you, though.

7 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Hehe, appreciate the little things indeed. 

I kinda wish those cairns had more to them. I hate finding those blank ones. Maybe Hinterland can let the most active community members get one.

Yeah, it sucks finding they're blank after purposely going up some of those slopes you can't climb up, by going the other way around. Since the backers already have their cairns in the game, maybe those most active could get something else? Maybe something like a dreamkeeper or a inukshuk or some kind ornament. I don't know, if those who backed the game don't want to put a quote in, maybe there's a place for those who're active on here there, I guess?

1 hour ago, JaySovereign said:

Yes, I've tried those and it's worked, but the computer overheats just too easily that it's not worth it. Thank you, though.

Yeah, it sucks finding they're blank after purposely going up some of those slopes you can't climb up, by going the other way around. Since the backers already have their cairns in the game, maybe those most active could get something else? Maybe something like a dreamkeeper or a inukshuk or some kind ornament. I don't know, if those who backed the game don't want to put a quote in, maybe there's a place for those who're active on here there, I guess?

The reason why some of them are blank is because some of the backers didn't respond to the emails that Hinterland sent them about the cairns. Also the fact that Hinterland hasn't gotten around to adding all the backers in. So maybe they are saving them for the future. But I'd love to have a note of my own spawn in game. Maybe make it random.

7 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

it's worked, but the computer overheats just too easily that it's not worth it.

Fair enough..Another solution that reportedly works for some people is to disable Catalyst AI. If you haven't done so yet, that might be worth a shot.

Which brings me to the subject of laptop overheating in general. After a few years (and yours is old enough to qualify) dust and fluff sucked into the underside vents tends to build up against the cooling fins by the fan. This leads to restricted airflow and overheating. In one of my laptops, when I bought it secondhand, it had what amounted to a 3mm thick pad of fluff (resembling a piece of felt) across the entire cooling fin assembly. The fan was working so hard it permanently sounded like a passenger jet taking off. After cleaning, it ran a good 20°C cooler, and was almost silent. In the case of people who actually do sit their laptop on their lap, or on a bedspread, I've seen massive buildup in less than a year.

The best solution is to dismantle the laptop enough to access the cooling fins and clean out the dust buildup. Unfortunately, only a few makes and models make this easy to do. Naturally, yours isn't one of them. However, if you're comfortable dismantling it, or have a friend who is, then it's very much a good idea, IMO. And your warranty has expired anyway, so there's nothing to worry about on that score.

Here's a step-by-step video of your model being dismantled to have its cooling fins cleaned. You can use this as a reference when doing the procedure. Note that everything after the 15.00 minute mark is actually unnecessary in your case, as the fins are easily accessible at that point. Also note that despite what the image below suggests, the worst buildup is on the fins themselves, where they meet the black plastic of the fan housing.

If you're really not up for it, there is an alternative solution, but you should note that it's not as effective, as the dust doesn't get fully removed from the laptop.

Good luck, and I hope it helps!

3 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

@JAFO

I had it cleaned out a while ago and they told me there wasn't much to clean out, but they did anyway.

@Fuarian

I assumed that was the case, but thank you.

I play all my games on a laptop, after some overheating I bought a support with built in cooling fans that is powered by the laptop great value at approx. £14

10 hours ago, junglegreen said:

I play all my games on a laptop, after some overheating I bought a support with built in cooling fans that is powered by the laptop great value at approx. £14

I have one of those too.. and totally forgot to mention it.. probably because the fans eventually died, and I continue to use it only because it tilts the keyboard at a much better angle for typing. I kinda think of it as a stand, not a cooling rig.

Archived