Heading to TW Mountain

hozz1235

I've pretty much cleaned out/explored all other zones.  I've been waiting to the very end to see if this will truly be "The End" for me.  Looking at Whiteberry's map, this looks like the greatest challenge by far!  I plan to take my time exploring & mapping all the nooks and crannies so as not to miss anything.  As you can tell, I'm pretty excited!  <stuck at work now>

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2017 at 11:35 AM, hozz1235 said:

Can always fall back on the 'ever so useful' Snow Shelter.

Definitely! But be sure to carry extra cloth, because dismantling a snow shelter only provides 2 cloth.  

When I TWM, I carry 9 cloth so I build 3 snow shelters (5+2+2). Sticks you can always find laying around.

Make sure you keep an eye out for any caves you come across as well, they can be lifesavers!

Also bring lots of prepared coffee. You'll be glad to have the energy boost to get through all the rope climbing sections.

Last thing, don't forget to bring a hacksaw. :)

On 11/3/2017 at 2:03 PM, hozz1235 said:

Looking at Whiteberry's map, this looks like the greatest challenge by far! 

Before i stopped playing about 6 months (im playing again), this is solely what i was doing. I would spawn in TWM and try to reach the summit and head into PV. I tried on it on different difficulties and with/without opening the fallen cargo containers. Whiteberry's map was extremely helpful, i wasn't able to succeed before i started using it. The best i did was on stalker, without opening cargo containers on my way up.

It's my favorite challenge to do and i wish an official challenge based on that idea would be made.

TWM isn't actually a very difficult region. Granted, you have to know the place in order to exploit it efficiently but once you know the region; every cave, every rope attachment point, every bear cave and bear foraging trail... Once you know the region well enough, you can plan your assault and climb prudently.

The biggest challenge is rest. That's where your knowledge of the caves come in. Sure you can build snow holes, but in a region with limited cloth, it's better to lay out a bedroll in a cave than to build snow holes. Also, caves are safer than snow holes when it comes to wildlife.

Then there the problem of weight. If you can, bring a bow instead of a rifle. Hunt your food instead of bringing food. If you have to bring food, several boxes (3-5) of salty biscuits will get you to the summit as long a blizzard doesn't ground you.

By the time I reached this zone, I had cleared out all others and was well-prepared.  Wasn't bad at all.  Lots of wildlife!  Just like any other excursion, I planned out my route each day and didn't rush it.  I've found I get in trouble when I try to go too far - better to find shelter and spend some extra time there than trying to push to that next location.  This goes for the whole game.

As Shade_grey says, it is mostly about map knowledge. If you have a bedroll and plenty of matches or a fire striker you should be okay. A few tips from me for new explorers:

Start out at the mountaineer'so hut and make it feel like home. Don't be in a rush to get up to the summit. There are plenty of rabbits around and the ice fishing hut for food. Plus, you should definitely clear all the cat tails from the lake and up the river a ways. Open the cargo containers to the east near the Bear cave. Stock up on firewood and by the time you've done all that you should have your bearings. 

Next, find the cave entrances and exits, moving and placing ropes to make things convenient. More cargo containers with good stuff in them. Look for a nice place to make a halfway point rest stop, store firewood and spare food there so you can travel light. Once you start needing to climb, your weight becomes an issue. 

Start gearing up for the summit climb. Pack a day worth of food and keep heavy equipment at your halfway point (or the closest point to the top you have settled in). Don't commit to the journey if you don't know the way,  just keep exploring and living on the mountain. There are rabbits and the deer clearing. You can always fall back to your shelters. 

Archived