To mod or not to mod

strongpelt

That is the real question right? :P

Okay but seriously, I'm curious, How many of you use a mod in The Long Dark? 

Also what do you use it for? I'd half ask what mods there are however I'm not sure if that's allowed. (And on a side note, I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forums)

What is your feeling towards mods?

For me, I use one mod. I use it simply because it gives me better control over moving objects. (Like stacking things, and even putting things on the walls) Personally, I enjoy the option of having mods, As long as I can turn them off easily. I don't want to ruin the feeling of the game for myself.  

I use one - forget the name, but it's pretty powerful.  "Save Game Editor" maybe?  The only feature I use is 'Infinite carry weight'.  I'm a completionist (which means I collect/break down everything) so I usually use some type of mod on games I play.  I know, I know - criticism from the hard-core players coming....but the way I see it, I paid for the game, I play it and I want to enjoy it to it's fullest.

I use Wulfmarius's mods. One adds new food items. One of them adds finite fuel containers. One of them makes water finite so you need to find water bottles to store water and use cookware to melt and boil snow into water. I also use the binoculars mod and various other little quality of life improvement mods. There's even one that improves the sky texture at night. 

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

This is why I'm not using any mods yet.  I've modded other games I loved, and it changed the way I felt about them forever.  And not it a good way.

Well, I've just a few hours ago installed several. One that kills the breath effect, one that skips the intro, one that makes the night sky look more realistic (better looking stars, including some that twinkle and a realistic moon), one that makes whetstones more durable, and one that lets you look back over your shoulder in cars. And I'm totally loving the difference it makes. Nothing really game-changing, just fixes to a bunch of things that I find annoying.

Many thanks @Fuarian, for putting me on the trail of them!

I use a lot of Wolfmarius mods as well.

However I also have a Scenario mod if you will called Relentless Night. It is a fantastic mod that actually includes a deepening challenge of longer days and nights until you have to survive in a never-ending night should you live long enough. I've found it to be very exciting, quite well balanced and extremely interesting and enjoyable. A very polished experience.

Once installed it shows in in the menu as as entirely new Mode!

Relentless Night allows you to have up to 5 sandboxes ongoing...and the saves are kept separately from regular sandbox. You cannot play regular sandbox games in Relentless Night or the other way around.

10 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I also have a Scenario mod if you will called Relentless Night.

I've had a look at it, and it sounds fascinating.. very polished too, as you mentioned. Took a quick look at your playthrough on youtube as well, but I find I'm not fond of the no-commentary style. And recorded on an i3 laptop? What software/settings do you use? I use an i5 quad-core laptop, and I can't get a decent recording to save my life!

20 hours ago, JAFO said:

a realistic moon

Ironically, this might be the one thing I'm willing to mod for.  I love the art style of TLD but the moon is an immersion breaker for me.  The trees, for example, despite being simple shapes and textures, feel real.  The moon feels like a flat billboard hanging in the sky of a beautiful 3d world.

For the breath effect, I'd love a mod that suppressed it during screenshots.  Otherwise it's ok with me.

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well, I've just a few hours ago installed several. One that kills the breath effect, one that skips the intro, one that makes the night sky look more realistic (better looking stars, including some that twinkle and a realistic moon), one that makes whetstones more durable, and one that lets you look back over your shoulder in cars. And I'm totally loving the difference it makes. Nothing really game-changing, just fixes to a bunch of things that I find annoying.

Many thanks @Fuarian, for putting me on the trail of them!

There's a couple new ones you should look into as well. Better Fuel Management, does what you think it does. Better Water Management, also does what you think it does, basically you need to find water bottles now. And better placement, not too different from the normal game but he's updating it soon to work with certain types of furniture and hopefully more in the future. It's all I ever hoped for and more.

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

There's a couple new ones you should look into as well. Better Fuel Management, does what you think it does. Better Water Management, also does what you think it does, basically you need to find water bottles now. And better placement, not too different from the normal game but he's updating it soon to work with certain types of furniture and hopefully more in the future. It's all I ever hoped for and more.

I'm currently trying out all three of those. BWM could be subtitled "The Quest For Bottles". After several days of searching, I almost wept for joy when I finally found my second 0.5L bottle. Before then I'd basically been getting by with soda. A couple of days later, when I found a prepper's cache above Un-named Pond, I whooped out loud. Didn't give a damn about any of the loot, except for those precious water bottles.

4 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

For the breath effect, I'd love a mod that suppressed it during screenshots.  Otherwise it's ok with me.

Believe me, when it's gone, you don't miss it. As @selfless says, it doesn't convey any information that you can't obtain with a single keypress, which means it's basically just eyecandy that gets in the way at the most inconvenient times.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

I'm currently trying out all three of those. BWM could be subtitled "The Quest For Bottles". After several days of searching, I almost wept for joy when I finally found my second 0.5L bottle. Before then I'd basically been getting by with soda. A couple of days later, when I found a prepper's cache above Un-named Pond, I whooped out loud. Didn't give a damn about any of the loot, except for those precious water bottles.

Adds a lot to the game eh? For something so small. I never drank the soda I had stockpiled (well I did start doing that because I felt I had too much of it :D) instead I drank all the water. Since I had infinite water I just kept stockpiling soda. But this is different now and I love it. I'll ask him to throw some more water bottle spawns in, hand placed is what I mean. 

1 hour ago, KinoUnko said:

The mods require mod loader, which modifies game code. Probably breaks the EULA legally speaking. Would be great if/when TLD officially supports modding, hopefully in similar way as KSP.

On the upside, it marks error logs with *MODDED*, so that Hinterland can easily know if a bug report is submitted that really ought to have gone to the mod developer instead.

22 hours ago, JAFO said:

I've had a look at it, and it sounds fascinating.. very polished too, as you mentioned. Took a quick look at your playthrough on youtube as well, but I find I'm not fond of the no-commentary style. And recorded on an i3 laptop? What software/settings do you use? I use an i5 quad-core laptop, and I can't get a decent recording to save my life!

I run with every setting on low except for post fx and footprints set to Ultra...and trees, bill boarding etc much to the left on the sliders. It runs well enough for me to record and play...if it didn't I wouldn't be recording.

I use OBS to record and every so often stream...but mostly just record.

7 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Adds a lot to the game eh? For something so small. I never drank the soda I had stockpiled (well I did start doing that because I felt I had too much of it :D) instead I drank all the water. Since I had infinite water I just kept stockpiling soda. But this is different now and I love it. I'll ask him to throw some more water bottle spawns in, hand placed is what I mean.

Indeed it does. Gone are the days of stockpiling 30-40 litres of water in every base*. Doesn't help that I started in ML, which is probably the least likely map to have much bottled water in it to start with. (Other than in a prepper cache, anyway.)

* I suspect that's going to bite me in the rear down the track.. because I'm also trying out the Relentless Night mod in conjunction with it!

2 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

I run with every setting on low except for post fx and footprints set to Ultra...and trees, bill boarding etc much to the left on the sliders. It runs well enough for me to record and play...if it didn't I wouldn't be recording.

I use OBS to record and every so often stream...but mostly just record.

Thanks for that, Ross!

13 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Thanks for that, Ross!

Yup, no problem.

I used to use Bandicam...but once I figured out how to use OBS (with outside help) I found that the game certainly ran faster than it ever did with Bandicam.

Also Kudos to Hinterland for making a game that runs well enough for me to play and record on an i3 based laptop...and still have it looking as good as it does.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Indeed it does. Gone are the days of stockpiling 30-40 litres of water in every base*. Doesn't help that I started in ML, which is probably the least likely map to have much bottled water in it to start with. (Other than in a prepper cache, anyway.)

* I suspect that's going to bite me in the rear down the track.. because I'mt also trying out the Relentless Night mod in conjunction with it!

If I spawn in a region that has little water bottle spawns from what I know. Then I'll give myself a 0.50L bottle if I know I'll have to stay in that area for the night. But soda is still quite plentiful around ML.

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Then I'll give myself a 0.50L bottle

Took me a moment to catch on to what you meant, there.. consoles are nice for situations like that. :)

In my primary game, I actually went to the trouble of stockpiling 40 litres of water before installing the mod. So I'll have plenty of spare bottles to plant wherever they might be handy.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Took me a moment to catch on to what you meant, there.. consoles are nice for situations like that. :)

In my primary game, I actually went to the trouble of stockpiling 40 litres of water before installing the mod. So I'll have plenty of spare bottles to plant wherever they might be handy.

Hah, wow. 

Archived