Strategies for hunting Bear with Bow

hozz1235

Use a hunting blind, car, the PV Farmhouse porch, a fishing cabin as your spot. Don't get to close to the walls. Stick him once and wait.

The first bear I killed with a bow was the BR bear from the hunting blind. Took hours to die, and after he ran off hurt I waited in a cave while the bleed out did the trick. I used a similar strategy at Unnamed Pond in ML. Farmhouse bear is by far the easiest - shoot him from the porch and wait. I've also used fishing cabins at ML and in TWM. I think those are the only bears I've hunted with a bow. My most recent bear kill, I finally got the critical hit roll and he dropped immediately (he also had a giant 39.8kg of meat - definitely the largest bear I've killed). I'm sure others can tell you more, since I only really hunt bears to repair the bear bedroll.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:18 AM, Riotintheair said:

Use a hunting blind, car, the PV Farmhouse porch, a fishing cabin as your spot.

Climbing trees is another viable option. The big arched-over ones, and some of the ones that are slightly leaning but upright with broken-off tops can be climbed*. In some ways they're even better, because the wildlife will ignore you once you're above a certain height, so when wounded, all the bear can do is run away.

* To climb the leaning-but-upright ones, position yourself so the tree is leaning away from you, crouch facing it, and slowly walk forwards. There's one at Unnamed Pond, at the opposite end of the pond from the hunter's blind, that you can practice with. It's my favourite location for taking down the bear that hangs out there.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:18 AM, Riotintheair said:

My most recent bear kill, I finally got the critical hit roll and he dropped immediately

A good insta-kill spot for arrows is the bear's right eye (the one on the player's left). The left eye is probably good too, but the right one is the one @GELtaz always aims for.

As said here, shoot from a tree, I've found that it doesn't have to be that high, the one at the end of Crystal Lake  that only seems to rise maybe 3 feet or so will do it.  That or be within a few steps of a building such as a fishing hut, or it is one with a loading screen, you need to exit again pretty quickly or the bear heals it seems.  If he has lost sight of you, he appears to also lose interest in you.

Just my experiences so far, and I suspect that Paddington will cure me of my hubris next time I poke him...

I've also found that finding a fallen tree to climb onto has worked the best.  The bear just sits under me while I pluck him full of arrows.  I had one bear, where I was actually able to pull the arrows from his back after I had shot them and then shoot him again with the same arrow(s)!

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I had one bear, where I was actually able to pull the arrows from his back after I had shot them and then shoot him again with the same arrow(s)!

rofl.gif.45fff9c67130bbf2745e3ccc453e3826.gif

Oh man.. what I wouldn't give to see a video of that!

14 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've also found that finding a fallen tree to climb onto has worked the best.  The bear just sits under me while I pluck him full of arrows.  I had one bear, where I was actually able to pull the arrows from his back after I had shot them and then shoot him again with the same arrow(s)!

I did this once too.  Shot a bear with the distress pistol and he was pathing back and forth between me and a cliff so I thought, hey, perfect opportunity to level archery!  I shot/picked arrows out of him a few times.  Then the fear wore off from the flare wore off.  Let's just say he wasn't amused.  #r.i.p.hats :D 

Archived