Multiplayer: How could 2 player co-op work?

DogFoodEaterPs4

I am not entirely facetious about this one

Co-Op server search UI look like a match making service, like the Tinder App, showing the in-game paper doll portrait and basic game stats like skill levels, feats achieved, days survived, etc.

swipe right (D) to connect, swipe left (A) to pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've wondered how co-op would work, myself. In the very, very early stages of development of the game, it was said that it would be possible, in time, to perhaps run into other survivors on your journey (I can find the source of Raph saying this if anyone wants). But the game has yet to implement multiplayer even now, and they have no current plan to. Much of the team's plans for the game has been altered as it's gone through development over the years. They originally planned to have fully-animated first-person actions for eating and drinking by the time the game was released, and that has taken a different route.

The passing of time, breaking down objects, sleeping, cooking, etc. are core functions of the game, and for those to be altered in any significant way would possibly negatively impact the experience overall. With that said, I cannot blame the team for not wanting to implement multiplayer or co-op. I, like many others, would love to see it happen SOMEHOW, though. I think if co-op is ever going to come to the game, we'll have to leave it in the hands of crafty and skilled mod developers once mod support is released.

after seeing the game designer job post and speculating in various threads I think a 2x Co-Op is quite probable. Consider the story so far, it's basically standard hollywood couple creation template. Man and Woman with extensive past history now estranged, shares life/death experience, and reunites, or fails to, as a couple. Final outcome might be based on player choices/actions. Upcoming episodes allows player control of Astrid. I expect last episode player could have ability to switch freely between the two, the other follows with basic AI, and player give direct commands via radial menu. Prime opportunity for 2x Co-Op. 

Archived