About the latest Dev Diary

ShieldHeart

After story mode came out, even though I thought the story could be cool and intriguing, I was skeptical about what more gameplay content the game could bring in the future, and started to feel that many players would start to lose interest in the game after this point.

After reading the October dev diary, with which I was pleasantly surprised! I just wanted to come here and say a quick thank you to the Hinterland team for making it clear that they're still listening to their players, even after early access. I think the refocus on survival mode and the effort to make story mode more similar to its open-world gameplay, was exactly what the game needed! And I can't speak for everyone, but I believe this is exactly what the vast majority of the community has been wishing for as well. 

I don't post here much and probably spend more time at the reddit community for the game - where for a long time now, players there have admittedly been even more doubtful and critical about future of the game. But it's refreshing to see even them now praise the efforts mentioned in the dev diary and look at the future of the game with hopeful eyes!

The efforts to create more quality content for the game, even after early access and through all the ups and downs, is very much appreciated by me as TLD fan and player. Best of luck in your future development efforts! Strangely looking forward to getting trampled by a moose :)

Oke and now to the real discussion everyone is looking for: 

How will the moose be like? How much meat should you get from it? How dangerouse will it be? Will you be able to fight back? How scares should it be? Should we be able to take the antlers? What can be crafted from the skin and what from the potentially taken antlers? 

21 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

How much meat should you get from it?

Oke, After a quick research and estimation I concluded that with the current balancing. The moose will weigh between 60-150 kg in game. I derived that by fitting the average animal weight IRL with the meat count one gets from the animal ingame. I included bear, wolf and deer since bunnies are realistically. A black bear has 110 kg average weight, a deer something around 50 and a wolf someting aroung 35 kg. Depending on the distance to the equator. So our animals may be a little bigger then others since they are up north. With this estimation and the fact that moose are between 200 and 500 kg (bigger exemplars are known) this results in 60-150 kg average meat count with current balancing. IMO this is a freaking meat fest and will feed you for a month! So 

26 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

How dangerouse will it be?

It should be ridicoulusly dangerous if you hunt it and should require a ton of effort to kill IF the meat count is as I estimated it.

I will admit, I didn’t get what I thought I would get with story mode. It was ok, but had lots of bugs (I avoided all major story resetting bugs thankfully). But hey, sandbox is still awesome and not broken. Anyways, I know what it’s like developing a game, it’s not easy. Me and so,e guys are in the process of making one, and though I’m not coding, I see my friend doing it, and it’s HARD. This is a 2-D, pixelated game, mind you. So making a 3-D, mostly realistic-looking (not that I don’t like the art style, it’s amazing in fact) game with physics, I can’t imagine. This team, they’ve done a lot, so I’m not as mad as some people are. Yes, there will be bugs, problems, but that’s part of games. True, it had a lot  (some game destroying), they could’ve done better, but I think everything in early access, all that’s coming, is great, and it almost makes up for it. I want to thank Hinterland for giving us a great game, I see the hard work you’re putting into this game, and I appreciate that. You’re promising us a better future, a smoother launch for the next episodes. Not giving us a release date for your own good, but mostly, ours. You’ve made a good promise, and I trust you’ll follow through. I’m hopeful. 

So yeah, anyways, love the game, and I’m very optimistic about the coming updates. Stay warm out there! :fire:

I have a short question regarding 4DON:

" We’re worried about 4DON interfering with other work we’re doing in the game right now, so we *are* going to run the 4 Days of Night event again, but it’ll be in a separate branch of the game. This way, we can roll it out without it derailing our December update. "

Does saves from gane started during the event / or old ones used and then (obiously) replaced by ones played during the event will be compatible with the game AFTER rolling the event out?

Archived