A new difficulty

Hausmusik

Hey Hinterlandteam,

thank you for the game, i really enjoy it. I have a suggestion regarding a new difficulty. 

Firstly, why? 

I enjoy the realism in the game and the resulting gameplay. I always play in in "stalker" difficulty, because i want it as hard as possible while there are items which are realistic to be found in this environment, for example knives, axes and rifles. I have a kind of autistic side in me, which cannot except the fact, that there are no such items as mentioned in interloper mode. Keep in mind, that it is totally ok for me that the interloper mode is the way it is, but i just cannot play it that way ;)

So, what then?

How about a new mode between stalker and interloper, items should be as rare as interloper or even a bit rarer, whilst the weatherspikes can get even worse. Even the aggrorange of animals should be widened (perhaps just the range of the smell), but the key difference should be, that every item can get found. Very important to balance this mode, is that the good items should really be a rare find, like only one gun in the complete game, and only one knife per map or something. Finding the loot should be the most awesome feeling ever, i think you know what i mean. 

The result?

I still remember the first rifle i found in this game, after being hunted and abused by wildlife, being a total noob and dying stupid deaths, it was an amazing feeling to hold it in my hands. And i want this feeling again, without having to be a noob.

Thank you for reading, keep up the good work.

Hausmusik

47 minutes ago, Hausmusik said:

I still remember the first rifle i found in this game, after being hunted and abused by wildlife, being a total noob and dying stupid deaths, it was an amazing feeling to hold it in my hands. And i want this feeling again, without having to be a noob.

I remember the first time I got the rifle too... same feeling.  I'm not big on hunting in the game and prefer the bow now when I do, but there is something reassuring about having the rifle equipped when you know you're heading into danger.

On topic, there have been lots of suggestions for different difficulty levels.  I would prefer having a system of separate sliders controlling aspects of the game, like type and quantity of loot, aggressiveness of animals, etc.  Then we could all play the way we want to play.

I will admit that there is a gulf between Stalker and Interloper, but remember that Interloper was a mode made by request from fans for something as close to impossible as possible. However...

The OP essentially proposed the 'slider' argument, but is both more granular and more broad.  Granular in that particular items are desired, broad in that with that the unspoken corollaries will also need to be present by default. For example, why find a rifle when you'd be lucky to find any rounds? If more rounds are provided, then more fire starting options would be needed not to make the resulting abundance of meat meaningless. Then more hatchets, then more whetstones, on and on. Now we are pretty much back to Stalker (or lower).

A new mode that would simply introduce items but not the dependencies will result in a very unbalanced and contradictory experience. If dependencies are also brought in, then the mode moves ever closer to redundancy.

From the perspective of altering the balance of game play elements, sliders are the only thing that makes sense. Even then, I would like to see sliders which wouldn't represent an assurance, but only a probability (if set to less than 100).

Yes I agree. 

I should be able to find the rifle, hatchet, hunting knife etc... but they should be hard to find. Like VERY hard to find. Making them prized possessions. Along with the rarity of processed foods and things alike, it will force you to hunt early on rather than sit on your ass and eat canned food for 10 days straight. (I'm looking at you Coastal Highway). 

Wolves should be like Interloper as well, not too many but really deadly. 

And the weather should get worse over time like Interloper. It should get cold over time but just cold enough so you have a negative effect but not cold to the point where you can't walk outside. 

Bullets should be real rare.

Archived