The sandbox needs more play value after 20-30 days

elloco999

I'm on the 76th day of my latest run and I have to say, this game gets real repetitive once you've explored everything and are settled. From day 30 on, this has pretty much been how I play: I wake up, usually around 6 am. Forage inside for 6 hours. Forage inside for 3 hours. Forage outside for 1-2 hours depending on the weather. Forage inside until 9-10 pm. Sleep until 5-6 am. Repeat for another day or two, as condition allows. Then eat a lot, sleep a lot and start all over again. Until something interrupts this rhythm like needing to get some fresh meat or needing to repair something.

The only reason I'm still going is that I've set myself the goal of reaching 100 days. This game really needs more to do, more reasons to go outside, even force me outside more to be able to survive. Things get really repetitive once you've explored everything, set up a base somewhere and settled into a rhythm that provides you with food and water. This game is lacking an end game as the MMO players would say.

I get that this is still (early) alpha and the update the 29th will hopefully go a long way to remedy this but I still thought I should mention it. Just more places to discover will only postpone the problems as it will take longer to explore everything, but the problem will still arise once that's been done. (provided you don't die during your explorations off course)

Of course, but you have to see that the developers can't drop a sandbox on you with all features implemented, it would be confusing, a lot of interactions with bugs and what not. I think they made an excellent choice confining out options that way. If you look at the Alpha-Bug Report forum, there are hardly any new bugs. So now that we have those bugs out, we get a new playground with more features and a larger area to explore, probably some crafting as well. Therefore we will have more things to do , can explore more stuff, find new bugs and continue the process.

And while I do agree with you, that there has to be more stuff you can do after day 20 or 30, I'll simply wait it out and see what's to come for us in the next updates.

While all of that is true and I understand it all and never expected a fully functional game with all the mechanics already in place in this early apha stadium, this sub forum is call "Alpha playtest feedback" and this is my feedback on the current version of the alpha.

I'm totally expecting most of my issues to be solved whether I post them here or not, but the same is true for 95% of the posts here. That's not a reason not to post them.

And I'm glad you posted them, because we need more people that actively take part in the forum. And certainly, I concur. I just wanted to list some thoughts on why the developers may have chosen to create the alpha as they did. And frankly, I wouldn't know if there are better ways to go about this, especially in the current alpha state. Which is why I stated my opinion about it, which is also a feedback on your feedback, since we are on a "forum" here, which are generally used to discuss things. :D

A forum really is an endless loop of feedback upon feedback then, isn't it :D

I wouldn't know a better way to go about it either, but I just wanted to make sure the devs would at least be thinking about whether or not they have enough features planned to keep us interested in the sandbox after surviving a certain amount of days.

Anyways, thanks for your input! It always helps to have some perspective.

TLD could work well if in future there would be huge maps, a lot of items, crafting, many dangers, extremely random loot thus you would have to improvise to survive and players should be forced to be "constantly" on a move, eg. every few months. Add to that disabled saving on sleep and buildings and you have a tense survival game, where you cant make mistakes and where much depends on loot luck, as this would be situation in real life ...

But yeah, currently there is 0 value in playing after you are set ...

Archived