no sir, i dont have a moment

snakevondoof

i decided to break up the monotony of 500 day survival and have fun/hone skills on a stalker run starting in TWM, spawning in the deer clearing i made a quick decision to use that to my advantage to continue to the summit, making a gamble on whether there would be a hacksaw....long story short, got my hacksaw and looted the heck outta the boxes. and then began my careful and dangerous journey to scale down the mountain- a direct route to the mountaineers hut, albeit far more deadly. ive done this a few times and once again TL:DR version on my last hop down i see my pal Mr. Bear, spending his time at the edge of the lake. i think to myself "what a nice man, probably gathering some fish" and continue on my way.

the next morning in the Mt hut i awake to a knock on my door, not expecting visitors i grab my rifle..."well hello mr bear, i cant say ive seen you this far out on the lake. what can i do ya for?"

he responds with a toothy grin, "i was wondering if you had a moment to talk about our lord and savior, raph of the hinterland?"

i tell him "no thank you, I'm content on being a man of little faith"

which seems to have upset him and he charged me, sadly i shot him dead...

anyway silly stories aside, anyone ever have the bear come this close to the hut? i almost wet myself when i opened the door and went face to face with him.

i got a lucky headshot and it crit (thank goodness for the advanced guns book i read at the summit) and dropped him on the spot. i took a few pictures to show just how close he was (hes the furthest dark mass, the first is some wolf meat i cooked when i first arrived at the hut)

screen_98f6b4f2-139c-494d-9ac3-23bfb840fc68_hi.png

screen_643a11fb-a718-4041-b23c-1b77bb772b42_hi.png

8 minutes ago, snakevondoof said:

thanks! i bet you coulda made the shot! 0% exhaustion meant very little sway. only reason i say it was lucky was because i was in the process of peeing myself haha!

Lol, I know the second I see a bear I'm like, "Jesus Christ!" :D

Happened to me twice, actually.  However, I am not sure which bear it is. I think its the one from the cave to the right of the hut, close to Wolf-central box place. But it very well could be the bear from up the river as well, I have seen him come down almost to the lake before as well. Its a good thing, actually, if you dont mind exploits - because I dont believe the bear can actually get into the mountaineer´s, just like he cant get into the fishing hut. 

It is rare, tho -  usually the bear doesnt really go much past the edge of the lake. 

Always found the animal paths interesting - there are definitely some routes they take, but on rare occasion you see them in places where you are not used to them, and this can be pretty surprising and deadly. I think the most I learned about the animals come from the nomad challenge which I played rather slowly, often spending lots of time in different areas past the 3 day mark. 

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Guess what? It turns out that if the fishing hut doesn't have a door (or maybe if the door is open as well), bears CAN get far enough inside to maul you..

I mean, I had a bear get into a Farmstead porch once (the one from the kitchen, which is technically outside but also has a door in it) - so its probably a good idea to always be extra careful with this. Or, even better, kill the bear in such a fashion he will not charge you in the first place. :D 

(well he was on the outside, I was too close to the wall, and the door was closed... somehow he still managed to maul me, and it pushed us both under the porch into a snow. I figured this was likely going to make me stuck so I turned the game off before mauling finished so I wasnt saved after it, but yea, bears can be really determined sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I had a bear get into a Farmstead porch once (the one from the kitchen, which is technically outside but also has a door in it)

Also, @Frosty recently had a bear run up the steps of the Hunter's Blind and maul him..  so it looks like this is something else we can add to the list of un-documented changes in the Wintermute release.

11 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Also, @Frosty recently had a bear run up the steps of the Hunter's Blind and maul him..  so it looks like this is something else we can add to the list of un-documented changes in the Wintermute release.

My porch story happened before Cartographer. But yes, I agree. Lets be honest - hiding in places where the bears cant reach us was an exploit, as bears are known to break into a cottage to pursuit their prey. Guess the devs fixed the pathing issues animals had. This is useful to know :D

My guess would be that the OP did carry meat or fish on him? I think they changed the usual route the bear takes to get closer to the lake (never saw it here before wintermute in hundreds of hours before), close enough to pick up the scent of the OP.

I've experienced something similar during my 100 days at Jackrabbit's, there's a bear roaming the area around Fishing Camp and he usually just steps on the frozen sea and goes back onto the street after a few meters. I usually spend my nights in the fishing hut on the right side (seeing from the coast) close to Jackrabbits and when I was fishing and catched several kilos of fish already, I suddenly noticed a bear sound outside.

This happend twice until I made the link to the fish I was carrying. So I've put my theory to the test during daytime. I recognized the bear from far away walking through Fishing Camp towards the frozen sea and the Fishing Hut close to the Camp. I stepped outside my Fishing Hut and the bear didn't take any notice of me. Then I packed all the meat I could until my scent meter showed 3 strikes and suddenly the bear turned and began walking towards my Fishing Hut, a few days later I finally had the 2nd fur for my bedroll :D

That's why I am convinced that if you are within the usual area and have a smell on you, the bear will leave his designated area and follow the scent. Mountaineer's Hut is probably as poorly isolated as a Fishing Hut and does not prevent the meat's scent from attracting wildlife (like ordinary houses do).

Ya I was shocked when that bear came up those stairs and got me:S

My mistake I believe was shooting it from the stairs side of the structure as I have shot at them before from the Hunter Blinds and they would just charge it continously, trying to get to me inside and even meshing through the structure which is amusing and frightening :ph34r:

4 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

My guess would be that the OP did carry meat or fish on him? I think they changed the usual route the bear takes to get closer to the lake (never saw it here before wintermute in hundreds of hours before), close enough to pick up the scent of the OP.

That would be a good theory, but I am pretty sure the bear does actually venture up there as well. I have seen him around the wooden docks at least twice during my long stays on TWM, and that was pre-Cartographer so no smelliness. Like I said, I believe that animals have set paths (but can stop their paths and explore a bit in that area too - and some paths are longer and rarer - which is why you occasionally run into animals where they shouldnt really been, rather far away from their usual spot. 

It makes sense, especially with TWM - the TWM is supposed to be challenging, which is why it makes sense that the predators will get somewhat close to the best "base" location in the region. At least that would be my logic.

11 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Mountaineer's Hut is probably as poorly isolated as a Fishing Hut and does not prevent the meat's scent from attracting wildlife (like ordinary houses do).

Yes, having smelly stuff like meat on you while in the Mountaineer's Hut definitely attracts wolves, and I suppose it can easily attract the bear too.

11 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Yes, having smelly stuff like meat on you while in the Mountaineer's Hut definitely attracts wolves, and I suppose it can easily attract the bear too.

thanks for confirming, I haven't spend much time lately there so I am uncertain about the set paths the bear might take but if anyone knows it, it's you ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had the Farmhouse bear imbedded in the wall last night. I shot him with an arrow from the door and he charged (a huge surprise) so I backed away from the outer porch door and to the left, he got stuck in full charge with his head through the wall to the right of the door. So naturally I shot him in the head until he was dead, and then bare hand harvested a bear from the warmth of the porch.

Archived