Best Long-Term Survival Base

Wish

Especially if you take the hacksaw and cut through some of those flipped over containers, it becomes easy to navigate in it even in the dark. 

But I don't really like it unless I am staying at DP for a longer period of time - as Rikken is pretty much the only place that doesn't have predators smack right in front of the entrance all the time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dougie said:

Toss up between camp office because fishing is good, deer nearby, and Pleasant Valley Farmhouse for the comfort of a stone fireplace.

Out of a pure efficiency point, Farmhouse is one of the worst bases in the game. It has everything one needs and a lot of space and containers, but it is often frequented by predators, and it is a middle of nowhere, surrounded by open areas. This can make it a bit tedious to return to it in blizzard or fog, and when you need to go someplace, you have to walk quite a distance away to get anywhere. Not to mention that many areas of interest in the vicinity have predators in them as well.

Camp Office is okay. Not a whole lot of firewood to be found around but has some relatively close and safe forests, and if you know how to trek up the "high clearing" hill with the cave (where clothing bunker spawns, above the rope) without using the rope itself, it has cool access to rabbits, firewood, and safe deer hunting spots. And train tracks make it easy to find during bad weather.

I like PV Farm house. Group of deers and rabbits spawn on the SW side, pack of wolves on the NE side on regular basis. Plus the bear that passes through every 3 weeks or so, easy to bag from the indoor patio. outdoor patio for storing meat, cooked and not. Never short of food, hide, and gut. Only down side is distance to travel to anywhere else, though that does mitigate cabin fever easily. And fire wood, which tend to require a bit of walk around. But you don't need to start a fire every day so not a huge issue.

couple weeks into FM to map the region. More or less long term base set up in the cave on the south rim, first one east of Spencer Homestead. Proximity to workbench and forge won out over proximity to FM Overlook area for hunting. The lone wolf out front of the cave can keep one fed in a pinch. Otherwise a walk further east for deer/rabbits. The cave in that direction is good outpost if caught by bad storm, and impossible to miss just by keeping the rock wall to one side.  Once I fully explore the north side of the rail roads things may change.

Can't say I'm a fan of Broken Railroads... region is kinda small. Totally infested with wolves, can't walk a hundred steps without stepping on one. And they breed faster than rabbits, literally. Plus a bear too. For a region with only one group of deers and 3 rabbit spawns there sure are a lot of predators... Maybe I was unlucky, or maybe it's just the region, there were no birch saplings at all. Maintenance yard had a bunch of locked lockers, but nothing really useful. Only upside is good amount of cloth from the Hunting Lodge.

On 23/09/2017 at 5:41 PM, Wish said:

Given this thought experiment, and attempting to remove personal preference, it seems like the Fishing Village or Jackrabbit Island slightly edge out other bases for best long-term survival:

1. Fishing Camp - fits the criteria, though no adjacent trapping areas
  2. Jackrabbit Island - fits the criteria, has adjacent trapping, though fishing huts are further away than they are from the Fishing Village along with the workbench

@Wish, I'm not as experienced as some who have given you advice on this thread, but my 10 cents would be for your logical conclusion. My latest game (voyager level) started in ML, I gathered some resources there and made my way straight to CH, been comfortably camped on Jackrabbit (although I wanna rename it, My Island) for the last 30 days, using the Fishing Camp as second-home. I consider this game a fishing holiday with wildlife risks. :D

It really is a lovely area to live - maybe its because I like the views... plus it give you a chance to net that elusive 7kg fish and up the current record! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a lot of bases. But the one I always gravitate back to is trappers cabin. It just feels like home. The gunracks the cosy feeling, the deer outside, the rabbits. It is just the easiest place to live an nice live if you are set up with tools. It is a perfect homebase to come back to and rest your tired legs after lots of exploring=)

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much all are viable (with regards to survivability) so for me it boils down to convenience and ambience.  The Riken is for me.  Not sure really since it's an iron, creaky place with no kitchen, etc. such as a house provides.  What I do like about it:

• Having a forge right there
  • A sheltered, outdoor area (just outside the door) where I sleep to prevent cabin fever and a fire going
  • Rabbits and deer on Little Island
  • Lots of scavenging for metal & wood at Hibernia
  • No roaming wolves (at least that I've seen)

What I don't like:  not being "centralized" for easy access to other areas, no fishing huts.

NOTE:  I have not been to TWM yet...<Edit>  Just returned from exploring TWM.  The Moutaineer hut is very nice..man, that view in the morning or during the Aurora is awesome!  Plenty of wildlife, just...too remote for me.

10 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

The Riken is for me.  Not sure really since it's an iron, creaky place with no bed

Huh? I'm pretty sure there's a bed in the Riken. Could swear I've seen one there.

Edit: I've just checked, and yes, there's definitely a bed there. Go up the stairs leading to the deck-house. At the top of the stairs there's a doorway on the left. As you pass through it, there's a cabin doorway immediately to your left (before you reach the galley). There's a couple of unusable beds there, but the lower bunk towards the rear is a bed you can sleep in.

Archived