Faithful Cartographer Achievement seems glitched.

TROY

I know the whole staff is on vacation for the rest of the month, but I'm opening this up to see if anyone has any theories or ideas.  It's quite clear now, with multiple veteran players reporting no achievement earned, that it's broken.  There must be thousands of player hours wasted on this by now, and we still have yet to see an official statement on it, or even acknowledgment.  This is highly discouraging, as this achievement is quite a commitment to undertake. 

Is there ANYONE out there who has gotten it? If so, was there some special technique you used? 

Until the team gets back from vacation, and can confirm that it was vetted, and working internally, lets put our heads together and see if we can find some common sticking points, or maybe someone out there has some special tick that worked on a particular stubborn location?

Edit: I've changed the title, and am changing parts of some of my posts here, as apparently, I've come off as being in the middle of an epileptic stroke over this. This isn't an attempt to force some staff back early from vacation, nor a ragequit post. I'm just trying to bring different thoughts from the community together so maybe we have a good starting point once the team can look into it. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably should make it a bit more clear that you are talking about the achievement for having entire map discovered, rather than about the previous version of the game... took me a bit to realize it.

I never expected it to work honestly, because I have attempted to map Mystery Lake prior to Wintermute and I couldnt get certain locations discovered, for example there was a tiny smudge of undiscovered map over the Alan´s cave that I could not get no matter how hard I tried.

I dont think it "doesnt work", I think its just poorly set so that areas that cannot be "sketched" in vanilla count towards the achievement. Probably just some small smudge somewhere.

I wonder if the achievement ends up working with the Mod enabled, and fly mode - that should make drafting of impossible "zones" a breeze. Someone might try to check (I see no harm in using a "cheat" to achieve it if one already attempted to do it legitly, and got stuck at 99% finished map.)

14 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Probably should make it a bit more clear that you are talking about the achievement for having entire map discovered, rather than about the previous version of the game... took me a bit to realize it.

I never expected it to work honestly, because I have attempted to map Mystery Lake prior to Wintermute and I couldnt get certain locations discovered, for example there was a tiny smudge of undiscovered map over the Alan´s cave that I could not get no matter how hard I tried.

I dont think it "doesnt work", I think its just poorly set so that areas that cannot be "sketched" in vanilla count towards the achievement. Probably just some small smudge somewhere.

I wonder if the achievement ends up working with the Mod enabled, and fly mode - that should make drafting of impossible "zones" a breeze. Someone might try to check (I see no harm in using a "cheat" to achieve it if one already attempted to do it legitly, and got stuck at 99% finished map.)

You can probably use Developer Console and type in "map" or whatever the command is for all regions.

Just now, Fuarian said:

You can probably use Developer Console and type in "map" or whatever the command is for all regions.

That may give you the map revealed, but I would be skeptical if it actually gave you the achievement or not - I think doing it manually would be more sure-proof. But I guess you are right, that could also potentionally work.

The achievement is only supposed to require mapping all named locations, not getting rid of every tiny smudge of black on the maps.  This "SHOULD" make it a fairly straight forward thing to do, albeit time consuming.  

One of my initial thoughts of why folks weren't getting it was use of the mod, and it somehow disabling the achievement, as I was seeing many screenshots of maps with areas completely revealed that aren't able to be mapped conventionally. 

Ive mapped every single location in the game, named or not, and it didn't unlock. I even made sure to be standing right in the spot on the map where it's name is revealed to you when I sketched.  With locations, like crystal lake, that have multiple access points that will reveal their name, I sketched from all of them, redundantly.  There is something preventing this from working properly, and only direct commication with someone who worked on it is gonna boil it down. 

There are some names locations that appear, even though the map won't "un black", there are others whose name doesn't appear on the map, one whose name on the map doesn't match its actual name, some that won't map at all... maybe it's ALL of them combined, but it's just sloppy that something requiring so much time and effort wasn't proven to work before being added. If it WAS proven to work, then we need to find out what changed. We are testers, full release or not, participating here implies a willingness to work to find problems and help solve them. 

I think it was rushed to get it ready for the Wintermute, and there is an issue somewhere with a bit of map not registering toward it because its unaccesible - but who knows. I would wait for a while to see the changes coming in, I am sure this is something widely requested for a fix. Lets be patient.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:12 PM, Mroz4k said:

I think it was rushed to get it ready for the Wintermute, and there is an issue somewhere with a bit of map not registering toward it because its unaccesible - but who knows. I would wait for a while to see the changes coming in, I am sure this is something widely requested for a fix. Lets be patient.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! spoken as someone who cant play at the moment, and hasn't wasted 100 real world hours or more pressing w to trudge around every last square inch of Great Bear Island!   Good advice though.   The problem, really, is exactly what you said "who knows".  Without feedback, there's no way to tell.  IS Broken Railroad added to the requirements of this 'cheeve? If so, there do seem to be sections of it that are currently not accessible. If not, its a non issue, but unless someone tells us yes or no, we cant rule it out. There are just so many errors and things about the maps that dont work properly, and it seems to vary from one person to the next what works and what doesnt. Some people cant get the fishing huts in CH to show on their map, but I don't think they are included, as they arent really named locations. Are the dev's aware that several named locations don;t show their names on the map? Is this intended, and are we getting credit for them? Is Cascading falls being credited to us even though it shows on the map as "Lower Falls"?  Is the cave named "cave" the problem? It wont show up at all.  Low blind and high blind dont show their names, neither does train bridge, norther river access, southern river access, lake cabins 1 or 2, western lake access.  A large section of the Ravine (Raven Falls Rail Line) doesnt unblack, but the ravine basin name shows up, although you can barely see it.  Is it tied somehow to percentage of world explored? Mine is at 84%, even though Ive been in every building, cave, shack, automobile, etc in the game, and visited every single location at least once. Not just visited, but made sure it's name popped, and mapped while standing in that exact spot.  does it have to do with some locations being removed from the map recently? Maybe they havent been removed from the list of locations needed to trigger the 'cheeve.  Is it possibly connected to locations that used to have exterior names, like the Lake Cabins, that no longer do?

I know..."be patient"    They are on vacation, and they DESERVE it. 

Ironically, there seems to be nothing on the bug reports site about it, but that place seems pretty useless to be honest. Theres just long lists of "bugs", half of which arent even really bugs, just lack of knowledge, and none of them have any action taken, or comments on them. The "recently resolved" section is empty. It seems like a waste of time to bother with it. 

9 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Likewise.. @TROY, could you please edit the thread title?

It's very typical TLD addiction behavior, to have so much information about this achievement being broken, but still set out to get it, knowing the developers are on a month long break :)

Well 84% is not everything in the game. Sorry to say.

I'm at 86% myself, and I believe there are still locations to discover.

Udklip.PNG.a409716838520e8b544f547b28337501.PNG
A tip for all those seeking to get this achievement, regardless of it being unachievable or not, try to enter locations from different entries :) 

It's more then fair to have an opinion and complain about the status of the game. I haven't personally been a part of this game, when it was in the "development stage", but I kinda see TLD as a constant work-in-progress. I've gotten past my frustrations, and only really play it 10-20 minutes here and there.

I thrive at the thought of coming back and experiencing the game again, when everything worth fixing gets fixed.

Do like the developers and take a break, recharge and come back without frustrations that tear your soul out :) 

OR

Exhaust yourself trying to reach 86%, cause you ain't there yet kid :) (j/k) 

2 hours ago, Arzanot said:

It's very typical TLD addiction behavior, to have so much information about this achievement being broken, but still set out to get it, knowing the developers are on a month long break :)

Well 84% is not everything in the game. Sorry to say.

I'm at 86% myself, and I believe there are still locations to discover.

Udklip.PNG.a409716838520e8b544f547b28337501.PNG
A tip for all those seeking to get this achievement, regardless of it being unachievable or not, try to enter locations from different entries :) 

It's more then fair to have an opinion and complain about the status of the game. I haven't personally been a part of this game, when it was in the "development stage", but I kinda see TLD as a constant work-in-progress. I've gotten past my frustrations, and only really play it 10-20 minutes here and there.

I thrive at the thought of coming back and experiencing the game again, when everything worth fixing gets fixed.

Do like the developers and take a break, recharge and come back without frustrations that tear your soul out :) 

OR

Exhaust yourself trying to reach 86%, cause you ain't there yet kid :) (j/k) 

Trust me when I say I should be at 100%. I've been around the game long enough to know the maps, and I've visited every.single.location.  I offered that as perhaps part of the problem.  Now, as much as I appreciate your well meaning advice for managing my stress and blood pressure, I put this thread here for folks to share thoughts, insights and tips about mapping the game. Any little tricks that have been learned about some stubborn location that might apply to another, things like that. :) So, thank you for the different entry bit. Anything else you can think of?

3 hours ago, Arzanot said:

I honestly don't understand what you mean by "try to enter locations from different entries."  Are you saying I must map a single location several times from all possible approaches?

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I honestly don't understand what you mean by "try to enter locations from different entries."  Are you saying I must map a single location several times from all possible approaches?

That's what I thought the meaning was. And I had previously stated that I had in fact done this. For example, the train bridge in mystery lake, shows you it's name from both ends. I mapped while standing exactly where it's name pops on both ends. Echo ravine can be entered from two places, I mapped from them both.  I've gone thru about 7 or 8 hundred charcoal.  

One of my big concerns is: On Steam, when you open the game overlay with shift/tab, it shows you your most recent achievement and whichever one you are closest to getting next. "So Close...".   It's always showing me something else. I don't think it updates, it's just whichever one your close to getting when you got the last one,  but, when I got penitent scholar, I should have already gotten FC, and instead of showing it as "so close", it showed me skilled survivor, which at the time I was at least 40 hours of play away from. 

Chill, man, you need to relax. Achiements are not everything - and even if I cant play the game at the moment (should be soon enough, currently buying PC parts) I get your frustration - if I had access to the game, I would be grinding them as well (maybe not waste a hundred ingame hours on a single achievement, that feels like a trap I wouldnt want to fall into, I admit I can sit down and play 16 hours in one run instead of sleeping but I still play occasionally). If one of them doesnt work, than fine, I fullfill the rest of them, and I wait for them to fix it, or at least first acknowledge that it is, in fact, broken. There is no need to go, raising pitchforks and torches, its not like this is the first ever game with a broken achievement in it...

Another thing that came to my mind - because with Faithful Cartographer game update, there was a wipe... but not with the Wintermute. This game you are playing on... is it "Wintermute" original or the "Faithful Cartographer" original (meaning on which update did you create that game)? This idea comes to mind because (sadly I already spoiled it for myself) some locations in game changed in the Wintermute, most notably the Dam. So, I can totally see this creating an issue in the "saved" game that would interfere with an achievement for locations visited, because in between these updates, the game world changed.

Something to reflect on - but that is only a theory.

Still, I agree with you that they should at least acknowledge that its broken, as soon as they can - but lets not ruin the vacation for them, or push the community engagement folks into pushing through some response.

I have an idea - how about we, as the community, put together a list of all the things we believe are the problem with the Wintermute, create a super-thread on it with a "poll" where we can vote for 3 most urgent "problems" with the Wintermute, for every forum member... and this way, we can help the Devs determine what they could focus on once they come back, rested from the vacation, and start working on adressing the problems. By making raids at them, the only thing we will achieve is create more commotion about specific thing, and adding fuel onto a chaos of what they should solve next.

That's precisely what this thread was intended for. To gather ideas and theories and strategies from the community until the team is back. I don't understand why everybody thinks I'm in a friggin  frothing at the mouth, meltdown headfit about this?  I'm just trying to do what can be done to start tracking down issues and causes, and see if something comes out of it that may solve the problem.  I've stated multiple times that I'm well aware we aren't getting input from staff immediately, but that shouldn't stop the community from pooling experience to maybe find a common link, or one little thing that we are all doing the same that needs to be done differently.  Please people, stop misinterpreting my intentions, and either engage in the conversation, or don't, but I don't need to calm down. It's our job as the community to undertake things like this and help if we can. 

P.S. @Mroz4k  that's was a great thought about the save creation, but I'm on a save started after wintermute 

however, u may be onto something. Raph did say they had an entire game crash that gave them fits to solve. Perhaps the 'cheeve is suffering from a lingering issue related to that.

0 percent of players have gotten the achievement on steam, thats a red flag because some people are achievement hunters and wouldve completed every achievement by now. 

As for now, my course of action is to take a break with the devs so the games fresh when they pump out the next update or post a new dev diary.

10 minutes ago, TROY said:

Please people, stop misinterpreting my intentions, and either engage in the conversation, or don't, but I don't need to calm down. It's our job as the community to undertake things like this and help if we can. 

Okay, sorry, we clearly misunderstood you - but you have to give it to us, if you can read your posts from a perspective of a third person, it seems that you are pretty on edge, trying to "crack this case open" - which, by the way, I very much respect. 

I agree, those that have an experience hunting for this achievement should try to pool together ideas. I also thought you would probably think of the game starts issue - and created a fresh Wintermute start to go hunting for them achievements - was just making sure.
Wanting to help to figure this out is great, but pouring more and more hours into this is just wasted time. You cant bring a corpse back to life even if you tried, there is only so much you can do.

My first idea that came to mind was that Raph told us they had some major setback right before the Wintermute launch. This is probably where its coming from - I mean, it is where most of these issues we see are coming from... all the bugs in the Story mode... that will be from this. He said they experienced a major setback, and that a lot of the data they lost were from "prooftesting" the Wintermute... and in the moment before launch they tried to fix most of it, but as we hardcore gamers know, it takes tons of hours of testing poured into the game to catch out the smallest of hiccups. If they did a week of testing, they may have caught 10% of all the issues, no more. 

What I think we can do atm is try to figure out all the "named" locations in the individual regions. This can be a decent-enough start. And not talking about the things only displayed on map... talking about the "locations which will show up in the game as a name" - there were quite a few specific locations, like the "Katies secluded corner in DP" that could be missed as a named location (thought I doubt you would miss this particular one because its rather large, just giving an example).

But not sure how much this will help if you have literally fully mapped all the regions to the tiniest of smudges of map left.

What comes to mind, for example, are Timberwolf Mountain plane parts - each of them is a location of their own, and while showing up on map, perhaps they dont count if you dont "scribble" the map while standing inside of that particular region (like standing by the "wheel", mapping will add the "wheel" part to the map towards the achievement as mapped "named" location. 
Just another idea.

OK, folks, I've gone back through my journal of this run.  At one point, (the day I first entered Raven Falls Ravine) my world explored went down 2% instead of up. So, I'm for sure off by 2%, possibly 3. I have 173 locations discovered, for 84% world explored.  I've seen in other posts about this, people having 100% at 173 locations. 

I wrote every single location down, and double checked them against Whiteberry's Maps, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with. 

I came up with 203-204 possible locations, both exterior and interior, however, in any given game, many of them do not actually exist, because they are burned down.  In my particular game, I think 14 total possible interior locations did not exist.  I also noticed several discrepancies in how many places I went into, and how many it says I went into.  For example, I entered both trailers at Carter Dam, but it says I only entered one. Same for the Logging camp, I entered all 3, and it says 1.   Lake cabins, It says I entered 3 of 5.  Coastal Houses, I had 11 of 17 possible spawn, and it says I only entered 6.  There are 11 possible cabin interiors in CH, counting the one named fishing cabin, which is unique I believe, although the fishing camp cabins may be named that as well, and it says I entered fishing cabin, and 2 other cabins. 

I know this has nothing to do with the map, but it's possible that it's tied in somehow. The achievement doesnt specify whether you must map locations which only have an interior name, like the camp office, and if that is required, MANY locations which have an interior name, although often not a unique one, do not even show up on the map, such as the trailers in CH, and the 4 cabins just south of the abandoned lookout, and the single cabin in the clearing south east of the unloading area. 

I am 150% certain that I have visited, and/or entered and mapped every single location in the game, including both prepper cache's, all caves with loading screens, and without, and all houses, homes, camps, cabins, lodges, trailers, shed's, shacks, barns, lean-to's, fishing huts, and brothels. 

Onwards to 500 days.     :) 

There are certain trailers that act as 1 interior location, but entering them from different entrances actually triggers a new location discovered. An example and possibly the only one, cant recall exactly, is the big triple trailer near Hibernia.

The devs will no doubt have this fixed 'eventually', and there's so much feedback given on this already, that I doubt it won't get a high priority come October.

There are certain islands on a few of the maps, that are supposedly unreachable, due to thin ice and the distance to travel. Perhaps they are included somehow.

When it comes down to it, having your maps completely revealed and filled out, kinda feels like a great accomplishment. I don't think I'll get bigger satisfaction out of finally getting that steam achievement, once it's fixed anyway.

The road to 500 won't feel as rewarding as having mapped everything visually either.

This is ofc just my opinion.

Never allow yourself to be certain in the wilderness of big bear, that shit will get you killed, wolfs and bears hiding just over the hill horizons.

Well, now I'm a little confused.  I just looked on steam, and it's reporting that .1% of players have the achievement.  Considering that millions of copies have been sold, thats a considerable sum of people.  Where are you achievers? How did you do it?

On 15/9/2017 at 4:20 AM, TROY said:

Well, now I'm a little confused.  I just looked on steam, and it's reporting that .1% of players have the achievement.  Considering that millions of copies have been sold, thats a considerable sum of people.  Where are you achievers? How did you do it?

A lot of people on Steam use SAM (Steam Achievement Manager) so for me that's the reason why 0.1% of players have the achievement. I tried and nothing, this achievement is totally broken

I still don't see anyone coming forward with further information about this achievement :( 

Does steam track achievements over all versions of the game?
Could someone have gotten it in a pre-release version maybe.

Personally I'm still in a cave with 3 bedrolls heading back to Farmstead. The state of this achievement has completely killed my interest in the game.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:27 AM, Arzanot said:

It's come to my attention, after abit of enquiring, that people playing with mods have unlocked this achievement.

Back to the coal drawing board people.

Yes, I used a function in a mod that un blacks the entire region you are in, and there were several things that were on the map that didn't show up when I mapped manually, even standing directly in front of them.  In my opinion, this doesn't change the fact that it's broken. Only what is broken. So we know it's not achievement, but rather the process of creating the maps. I refuse to use a mod to unlock an achievement, although it appears to have helpful in testing. With several updates released recently, obviously not everyone is vacationing as diligently as they deserve to be. It'd be nice to see some form of acknowledgement about this issue. 

Archived