Wolves can & do indeed attack when...

CitrinePeridot

You are in Story mode and have just made it to the road, but you're level of hunger has your health bar telling you to get food fast & soon! LOL Just suffered my first death by wolf this way. I must have been very week indeed, because I wasn't two mouse clicks into the altercation before I died. RIP my first Story mode run-through character. I will use your lessons learned on the next one.  :-)  

34 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

You are in Story mode and have just made it to the road, but you're level of hunger has your health bar telling you to get food fast & soon! LOL Just suffered my first death by wolf this way. I must have been very week indeed, because I wasn't two mouse clicks into the altercation before I died. RIP my first Story mode run-through character. I will use your lessons learned on the next one.  :-)  

There's a go-away! superpower you can use on wolves, even when you don't have a weapon...  I'll describe it in a spoiler in case you prefer to discover it for yourself.  Your call! 

Build a campfire.  Wolves are afraid of campfires and will turn around and run away when they get close enough, even if you are still in the process of starting the fire.  You can abort (by pressing ESC) once you hear the wolf wimper and run away.

If the wolf ran in the direction you plan to go it, be prepared to build another campfire when you meet up with him again a little further along.  Sometimes I leave a little trail of 2 or 3 campfires when I need to pass a wolf guarding a chokepoint like that bridge in the story.

Here I am on another run standing my ground. Once again, my food level is low as that is where my last checkpoint/save has got me at (my fault on that, I know). He simply continued to come closer. Apparently, this time it wasn't the weak animal in the eyes of the predator that provoked him. It was the challenge he felt he was being given by my standing my ground. I have walked by two in the process of eating their kill without incident though they both went into the guarding stance. Didn't look back. Just gave a wide berth for them so that they could see I was not trying to get their kill. So, I have now been killed 3 times on 3 runs on TLD by wolves, and I've managed to walk by 2 (one on a deer, one on a rabbit) . Just learning some things and testing others out. Seems like they did a good job coding in wolf behavior to me. Since they seem to be in abundance (5 wolves on 3 runs that lasted very little time indeed), I will need to learn more it seems.

Screenshot (421).png

47 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

There's a go-away! superpower you can use on wolves, even when you don't have a weapon...  I'll describe it in a spoiler in case you prefer to discover it for yourself.  Your call! 

Reveal hidden contents

Build a campfire.  Wolves are afraid of campfires and will turn around and run away when they get close enough, even if you are still in the process of starting the fire.  You can abort (by pressing ESC) once you hear the wolf wimper and run away.

If the wolf ran in the direction you plan to go it, be prepared to build another campfire when you meet up with him again a little further along.  Sometimes I leave a little trail of 2 or 3 campfires when I need to pass a wolf guarding a chokepoint like that bridge in the story.

Haven't clicked on that yet, but I appreciate it being there nonetheless given I will need to be able to actually make it past this point to be able to explore further. I'm on the road basically, & have searched the vehicles as well as a trailer. That's as far as I'm getting until I get killed. So, sooner more than later I may find myself clicking on it.

distract wolves with rocks....it's soooo easy to avoid them.

of course you need to listen and plan your movements where they might be.    if you see a open area with small hills toss a rock and see if anything comes over or just crouch walk past them you can get really close to them un noticed if you don't stink.

the story mode wolf on the bridge is easy avoided by going in the river below, and loot the car while you are at it.    so easy this game.  

Archived