Glutton status effect.

Kaiservadin

That sounds reasonable enough. To gorge oneself before strenuous exercise is never recommended. So, that'd make sense. The only portion I would wish to see that not affect is in the beginning of Story mode where it instructs you in the journal to eat until you are full. Otherwise, it would be a realistic addition. I believe our activities within the game would fall under strenuous activity. 

45 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

That sounds reasonable enough. To gorge oneself before strenuous exercise is never recommended. So, that'd make sense. The only portion I would wish to see that not affect is in the beginning of Story mode where it instructs you in the journal to eat until you are full. Otherwise, it would be a realistic addition. I believe our activities within the game would fall under strenuous activity. 

I agree there .

Not sure about the three days bit though. I AM a glutton and regularly eat ONE big meal a day....usually dinner.

When I over do it and eat an amount that makes me look pregnant, and my stomach hurts and I feel like I want to puke, this feeling typically dissipates in about 6-8 hours, and I'm ready to eat a delicious bag or Bordeaux cookies before bed....

If I go to bed and sleep for 8-10 hours typically I wake up fine.

It's not really possible to eat so much it puts you out of commission for three days....that's a ridiculous amount.

I have NEVER eaten so much that I can't eat the next day, or HAVE to eat less the next day, the stomach processes food much faster than that.

The cure should be to NOT eat anymore for the next 6-8 hours. The game could just remove the eat button until your "gluttony" "passes" if you get my drift....

Also the game requires you to eat animal meat by the kilogram in order to survive, which is already obscene. When I over do it when I overeat, it's usually because I DID eat a kilogram of food. Two plus pounds of food in one sitting is the max one can eat for a majority of people. When eating rabbits in this game you often have to eat TWO kilograms of rabbit or over FOUR pounds of rabbit....which is a human feat I have never witnessed....and my dad weighs 320 pounds, and he's Italian. I've seen the man put away some food in my lifetime, but it's NEVER been 4 to 5 pounds of food....in one sitting....

PS The "hidden status" the OP mentioned that seems to be confusing some people, is the "malnourished" status that someone discovered recently.

I don't believe it's listed in the Wikis.

You get it by not eating ANYTHING for 24 hours in game. A thing I am sure most people playing NEVER do. Most people playing the game eat at least ONCE a day....usually before bed to regain lost condition from not eating all day...

I believe he was referring to that and some of you misinterpreted what he was saying as stating gluttony, which he just thought of was already in the game....which it isn't...

25 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

PS The "hidden status" the OP mentioned that seems to be confusing some people, is the "malnourished" status that someone discovered recently.

I don't believe it's listed in the Wikis.

You get it by not eating ANYTHING for 24 hours in game. A thing I am sure most people playing NEVER do. Most people playing the game eat at least ONCE a day....usually before bed to regain lost condition from not eating all day...

I believe he was referring to that and some of you misinterpreted what he was saying as stating gluttony, which he just thought of was already in the game....which it isn't...

Good catch.

33 minutes ago, Hesha said:

TWO kg of Rabbit? It takes more than FIVE kg of Rabbit to make you full if you were "fully hungry".

I was just referring to the minimum amount of rabbit I would eat if I was running on empty and wanted to sleep for a good 10 hours.

Myself and probably many others don't typically eat from 0 calories to 2400 calories in one go....

I usually eat a couple things here and there in the game, as one does in real life....except you have to eat far more in the game, far more regularly to not starve in the game....

This idea of the OP would address the ability to go from 0 to 2400 calories in one go. Something I don't think many people in real life could accomplish eating normal food one would eat.

I mean I guess you could do it if you ate high nutrition energy bars in real life, or drank a few "weight gainer" shakes that body builders sometimes drink, but normally people don't strive to eat 2400 calories in one go...Unless they wish to be obese....

Now that I think of it, in real life with fast food options, it's probably not THAT hard to hit 2400 calories in one go. If you are able to put away a couple Woppers or Big Macs with a large fry, and a milkshake. I could probably do that, but that would be one of those times I would be physically distressed after eating, and not be able to jog for 6-8 hours like the OP was eluding to...

3 minutes ago, Hesha said:

I had written a post, but then I deleted it again. There's just no point talking about the food system in TLD because it has absolutely no basis in reality. I wouldn't know where to start.

That statement is accurate....and myself and others have discussed it numerous times already I'm sure....

I remember @Miniwizard spent a lot of time discussing ways to improve the food system in the game, primarily due to the ability to eat WAY too much at once, with no side effects.....

If he was still vocal in the forums, I imagine he would be a supporter of this "gluttony concept."

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

That statement is accurate....and myself and others have discussed it numerous times already I'm sure....

I remember @Miniwizard spent a lot of time discussing ways to improve the food system in the game, primarily due to the ability to eat WAY too much at once, with no side effects.....

If he was still vocal in the forums, I imagine he would be a supporter of this "gluttony concept."

The problem is, it's not the "ability" to eat way to much, it's a "requirement".  The game assigns such low caloric counts to food that we are forced to eat disgusting quantities of food. I personally think it just be rubbing salt in wounds to punish us for gluttony on top of that. 

9 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

Well he said "since there's a hidden status like this IN GAME" I thought he meant it was in the game

Yeah, that confused me to.  I thought maybe he was talking about the half done, quasi-implemented status for malnutrition that some folks have reported seeing, but I wasnt sure what he meant, and I'm totally against this idea. Its not our fault that we have to consume 7kg of fish in order to get 2000 calories. 

Here are some real caloric values:

Coho Salmon: 1800 per Kg.   Smallmouth Bass: 1250/Kg  Rainbow/Steelhead Trout:1400/Kg. Rabbit: 1460/Kg Venison(Deer Meat): 1600/Kg.

However, to be fair about this, it bears offering both sides of the coin for discussion.  Backpacking around the wilderness in the type of terrain and weather conditions that the game exposes us to would easily burn 6000 to 9000 calories a day. Of course, we arent ALWAYS hiking through snow in -10 weather for 10 hours a day, but often enough for it to be a consideration. 

I can see something being added to encourage players to eat more realistic amounts at once, rather than consuming 2500 calories at a time, once per day. THAT makes sense. But for the love of God, arent we punished enough already? Give us a buff now and then. If a punishment for eating 2500 calories at once is added, then it should come with a benefit of keeping your energy levels topped off throughout the day.  How about if we get a little extra sprint, or much slower energy drain if we eat 3 or 4 smaller meals throughout the day?  Heaven Forbid we are able to make two rope climbs without napping in between.  The game fails to give credit to our characters for the INCREDIBLE physical condition that a person would achieve IN VERY SHORT ORDER under the given  conditions. (I'm not including Interloper, where we starve constantly, in this statement). 

For myself, after 3 years of playing the game within its given metabolic and caloric mechanics/values, I'm content with it. I don't believe that in a game that has no toilet tissue, and non-functioning doors on outhouses, and lets us drink from toilets that we need the level of realism that gluttony and malnutrition bring to the world. 

35 minutes ago, TROY said:

Yeah, that confused me to.  I thought maybe he was talking about the half done, quasi-implemented status for malnutrition that some folks have reported seeing, but I wasnt sure what he meant, and I'm totally against this idea. Its not our fault that we have to consume 7kg of fish in order to get 2000 calories. 

Here are some real caloric values:

Coho Salmon: 1800 per Kg.   Smallmouth Bass: 1250/Kg  Rainbow/Steelhead Trout:1400/Kg. Rabbit: 1460/Kg Venison(Deer Meat): 1600/Kg.

However, to be fair about this, it bears offering both sides of the coin for discussion.  Backpacking around the wilderness in the type of terrain and weather conditions that the game exposes us to would easily burn 6000 to 9000 calories a day. Of course, we arent ALWAYS hiking through snow in -10 weather for 10 hours a day, but often enough for it to be a consideration. 

I can see something being added to encourage players to eat more realistic amounts at once, rather than consuming 2500 calories at a time, once per day. THAT makes sense. But for the love of God, arent we punished enough already? Give us a buff now and then. If a punishment for eating 2500 calories at once is added, then it should come with a benefit of keeping your energy levels topped off throughout the day.  How about if we get a little extra sprint, or much slower energy drain if we eat 3 or 4 smaller meals throughout the day?  Heaven Forbid we are able to make two rope climbs without napping in between.  The game fails to give credit to our characters for the INCREDIBLE physical condition that a person would achieve IN VERY SHORT ORDER under the given  conditions. (I'm not including Interloper, where we starve constantly, in this statement). 

For myself, after 3 years of playing the game within its given metabolic and caloric mechanics/values, I'm content with it. I don't believe that in a game that has no toilet tissue, and non-functioning doors on outhouses, and lets us drink from toilets that we need the level of realism that gluttony and malnutrition bring to the world. 

They could just make animals more rare but increase their caloric value per meat. Or make them yield less. Because if we had one piece of meat fill us up completely (nearly) like it would be IRL then the game would be too easy. Even on Interloper. So making them yield less or have there be less animals would balance it out well.

1 minute ago, Fuarian said:

They could just make animals more rare but increase their caloric value per meat. Or make them yield less. Because if we had one piece of meat fill us up completely (nearly) like it would be IRL then the game would be too easy. Even on Interloper. So making them yield less or have there be less animals would balance it out well.

Agreed, but it's already laughable what we get when we harvest animals. A deer giving only 10 kg of edible meat is just deplorable. It should be closer to 60. But that brings us to how do we get it home, how do we eat it all before it spoils, and only needing to hunt 3 times a year...  I think its well balanced for challenge and playability the way it is now, and it doesnt need to have tons of development time/resources expended on tweaking it or rebalancing. NO, its not terribly realistic in any aspect, but it works, and its fair, for the most part.

I think things need to be "balanced" and I agree that currently they technically are "balanced" for the most part....maybe with the exception of rabbits. I REALLY don't like that they take around 2 hours to harvest by hand, and that you burn over 300 out of the 500 or so calories they provide by harvesting them.

That seems to be something I keep mentioning....so it must annoy me a great deal.

Like Troy said, I feel Hinterland spends too much time already tweaking things that don't need to be tweaked over and over, instead of improving the game for real. Like by adding hats and other animal hide options to crafting.....

8 hours ago, Hesha said:

TWO kg of Rabbit? It takes more than FIVE kg of Rabbit to make you full if you were "fully hungry".

That also widely depends on your cooking skill and difficulty you play.

But yea, eating 5 kg of meat of rabbit is unrealistic feat... this is the part of game people need to learn to take with a pinch of salt. It is like this for game balance issues.
Also, just eating rabbits to fill one with enough calories is not enough, as seen by a wiki article on "protein poisoning" - rabbits have next to no fat in their meat, so their meat is rather poor on calories... but to eat there kilos of deer meat a day is riddiculous, as well as a fact that a regular deer only have around 8 kg of meat on them. Those are just game balancing issues, the calorie and food weight items are not very accurate.

But I am glad that TLD has heavy food, rather then light food but lower carrying capabilities.

EDIT: Then again, human body has amazing ability to adapt. I wonder, if the body was used to eating large qualities of food every day, whether the stomach would increase its ability to obtain such a huge quantity of food in time. Most of the digestion happens in the intestines anyways - so I suppose it is partially possible to be eating huge dishes daily if one lives this way in a survival scenarios every day. But yea, most of these accounts are for game balancing purposes.

Archived