That little, TINY white dot...

CitrinePeridot

That is strange, because I definitedly noticed a difference. Deer too. It seems that as much as predators are attracted to you if you have higher smelliness, the passive animals are more deterred. Especially deer will start running away from further distances - it is not that significant with the rabbits, I beleive that is to make the stone throwing more easier, for that reason rabbits are not as scared.

I play smelly most of the time in games so I definitedly soon noticed that the animals are more aware of you the smellier you are, and not only predators.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Ok. I have considered that it might be my best bet to get one. Otherwise, I'm limited to about 1 hour of play time w/ some pauses at a time.

When it comes to game controllers, the only thing I'd add is, don't be tempted to get a Steam Controller. Now don't get me wrong, I love mine.. they're amazing devices, and very powerful. But the problem with power is that with it comes great complexity. It takes a lot of effort to set them up to make full use of their capabilities. And Steam haven't yet published instructions on how to set them up. The info is out there, but it's not super easy to find, and you'll still have a lot of work, testing and tweaking to do, before everything is just the way you want it. Most of the negative reviews you'll see for it, are by people used to regular controllers, who haven't figured out how to set them up properly.

A Logitech or similar controller for PC, is the way to go.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:56 AM, CitrinePeridot said:

Please, have mercy. Really & truly. I'm telling you that I am having to invest an exorbitant amount of time having to utilize that white dot unto the white snow to pick things up.
but can the little dot please be made a tad bigger. I'd very much appreciate it.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:25 AM, Kaiservadin said:

Maybe make the dot also Light Dim Blue so it does not merge with the background, i did this on team fortress 2 and it helps a lot !

On 9/9/2017 at 9:41 PM, TROY said:

Completely agree with this 120%.  I'm always squinting and cursing at that invisible dot. Why can't it be just a little bigger? And bright red?

On 9/9/2017 at 5:15 PM, JAFO said:

Nice idea.. hopefully this is something a mod can address if Hinterland can't be persuaded.

Acting further on this idea, yesterday I emailed Cheryl UberFoXy, one of the creators of UModTld, to see if maybe something could be done via that mod. She replied that one of the options the mod gives you is the ability to have a red aiming sight on-screen whenever you use the bow, and suggested that maybe she could make it as an on/off option for general gameplay use. I replied that I thought that was a great idea, so yes please!

This is what the red bow-sight looks like:

screen_090bc3f5-0088-4304-83f1-1a6ddbe4d88d.thumb.png.0610f78b27b3f549193c3923e7dfe6be.png

34 minutes ago, JAFO said:

When it comes to game controllers, the only thing I'd add is, don't be tempted to get a Steam Controller. Now don't get me wrong, I love mine.. they're amazing devices, and very powerful. But the problem with power is that with it comes great complexity. It takes a lot of effort to set them up to make full use of their capabilities. And Steam haven't yet published instructions on how to set them up. The info is out there, but it's not super easy to find, and you'll still have a lot of work, testing and tweaking to do, before everything is just the way you want it. Most of the negative reviews you'll see for it, are by people used to regular controllers, who haven't figured out how to set them up properly.

A Logitech or similar controller for PC, is the way to go.

I know this is off-topic, but...

Would you recommend the Steam Controller for someone willing and able to go through that process?  Or would you still recommend a regular controller?  I've been thinking about getting one for a while.

56 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

I know this is off-topic, but...

Would you recommend the Steam Controller for someone willing and able to go through that process?

Yes I would.. if you're willing to take the time to get the most out of it, they're amazing gadgets.

For instance, you can assign zones to a touchpad.. so you can have one set so that the centre area can be made to walk in whatever direction you place your thumb, and if you move your thumb closer to the edge, you'll run in that direction. Touchpads also have a press to click function, which I believe is also zone-sensitive. Triggers can have different actions assigned to how far you squeeze them, so that for example, a partial squeeze will activate your telescopic sights, and a full pull fires a shot. The percentage of movement required for the various trigger effects to activate can be tuned as well. They also have motion-sensing built in.. you can use it like a steering wheel, if you wish. They have programmable tactile feedback.. not quite force-feedback, but it's moving in that direction. And all that's just scratching the surface.

They're also beautifully balanced, so much so that even though they weigh more than an Xbox or Playstation controller, they feel much lighter. This is what's behind some review comments that they feel "cheaply made".. even though they're relatively heavy, they feel very light. It's also worth remembering that they are a fully software-driven device.. so unlike a regular controller, adding completely new features is simply a matter of upgrading the software as improvements are made.

They can also be made to work with many non-Steam games, if you manually add the game to your Steam Library.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Acting further on this idea, yesterday I emailed Cheryl UberFoXy, one of the creators of UModTld, to see if maybe something could be done via that mod. She replied that one of the options the mod gives you is the ability to have a red aiming sight on-screen whenever you use the bow, and suggested that maybe she could make it as an on/off option for general gameplay use. I replied that I thought that was a great idea, so yes please!

This is what the red bow-sight looks like:

screen_090bc3f5-0088-4304-83f1-1a6ddbe4d88d.thumb.png.0610f78b27b3f549193c3923e7dfe6be.png

Thank you so much for investing the time to look into alternatives to this! That right there looks perfect. Some will choose, of course, to forego this option as it would not be "natural" & would make the game easier. However, for those of us that are fairly new to this game, it would be a welcomed option to be able to choose this at least until we could better acquaint ourselves with aiming and such. 

39 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Mine does too. I hate that when I'm trying to hit something with a bow. I'm not that great with the bow and I need that dot.

Like I said, I seriously believe that is intentional to make the game harder....I can't imagine another reason why they would make the dot vanish when you are actually trying to take the shot.

I do my best to try to remember where the dot WAS in reference to the bow before aiming. I think I also paused gameplay videos of like @GELtazhunting to see where the dot was....

I believe the dot is just above the tip of the arrowhead, but then the arrow also drops over distance and seems to travel more to one side than the other because of how arrows are shot from one side of the bow....

It becomes something you just get a feel for, since the dot doesn't really reflect where an arrow will go unless you are firing from very short range. So you just have to keep practicing trying to aim however far above a target you think you have to aim to get an arrow to arc down into the target.....

I usually save my game like Jafo mentioned somewhere and just shoot until I get it right.....and reload if I don't....

21 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Ok. I have considered that it might be my best bet to get one. Otherwise, I'm limited to about 1 hour of play time w/ some pauses at a time. Then, time for a break altogether for a hour or more.

Well, like I said when playing a game on Steam if the game has "full controller support" like this game does, it's as simple as getting a gamepad with a USB connection. Since Steam made it so it can recognize several prominent controller types such as their Steam gamepad, XBOX controllers, and PS4 controllersx and I had a PS4 already....I just tried plugging my PS4 controller in one day....and it worked.

That being said, I do find that many games that "claim" to have full controller support....like Mad Max for instance, they seem to often default to an XBOX controller layout. I had a problem with Mad Max for a while getting it to recognize my PS4 controller. Sometimes when I started the game up it would default to XBOX key-presses which can make things confusing. Just Csuse 2 did the same thing....

Like when the game tutorial tells you what button to press it would say press Y, X, A, or B.....and a PS4 controller has Triangle, square, X, and circle. So that can sometimes make things unnecessarily confusing.

As much as I prefer my PS4 controller due to how it feels when I hold it....like the balance of the controller, and its weight...To be on the safe side as far as being confused when playing, I almost have to recommend a WIRED Xbox controller.

I say wired because XBOX controllers typically take batteries, and they don't come with a rechargeable battery like the PS4 controller. A wired XBOX controller doesn't take batteries, but it has to be plugged in with the USB cable.

Lastly with the USB plug, the controller is recognized immediately through Steam Big Picture mode. If you get a wireless controller that only takes batteries and has no USB cable, then you have to take the additional step of trying to get your PC to recognize the wireless controller through Bluetooth or something....or get a wireless USB dongle to plug into a USB port ontop of getting a controller....

As cool as the Steam controller looks, like Jafo stated it can be confusing to set up...Also, the same games that have trouble recognizing a PS4 controller, and default to XBOX key presses, will most likely pull the same crap with a Steam controller....and a Steam controller is even more alien looking....

Sounds like the wired one would be my best bet. Will have to put that on my shopping list. A further investment into this game, but it's one that I feel will be well worth it if it can/will enable me to have more time to enjoy it. As of now, I've decided to whip out my compression gloves & don them to eek out a touch more next time I "go in". LOL Funny to think I have to have a R/L wardrobe of sorts to get ready to go out exploring in this game. Have my messaging, heating back pad at the ready & my compression gloves as back up along with my cozy flannel pajama bottoms for added comfort. This is called dedication to the cause, my friends. Dedication to the cause.  :-)

1 minute ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Sounds like the wired one would be my best bet. Will have to put that on my shopping list. A further investment into this game, but it's one that I feel will be well worth it if it can/will enable me to have more time to enjoy it. As of now, I've decided to whip out my compression gloves & don them to eek out a touch more next time I "go in". LOL Funny to think I have to have a R/L wardrobe of sorts to get ready to go out exploring in this game. Have my messaging, heating back pad at the ready & my compression gloves as back up along with my cozy flannel pajama bottoms for added comfort. This is called dedication to the cause, my friends. Dedication to the cause.  :-)

You can find cheap mongrel wired XBOX controllers out there if you look, so you don't HAVE to drop 40 bucks or more on an "official" Microsoft XBOX controller. I think I got this one for about 17 bucks....

150506127262593946086.jpg

Meanwhile I am here, making 4 USD worth a salary per hour...

As for the bow hunting, it works the same like kung-fu in movies... you know, the protagonist goes onto a mountain, and trains in a relaxing yet deadly enviroment them moves for a year, until he becomes a grandmaster. In TLD its similar - you go, live on the Timberwolf Mountain, doing nothing but living with the land, hunting using the bow. There will be fails and victories to be had... but by the time you reach Day 200, you will be hardened survivor who is ready to take on bears with nothing but his/her wits and a maple bow.

16 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

$40? That's...really not bad actually. Given the technology, I thought & just assumed we were talking about some $100 or so device. So, it would have been a "save up for" item for me. I'll have to scrounge around on some sites to see what deals I can find. Thank you!

It's not really....I'm just a cheap bastard. I know you can get low end gamepads out there for under 20 bucks. Out of the 40 or so bucks XBOX charges you for an old school WIRED controller, half of that is to pay for the name brand. However you also get what you pay for, the cheap knockoff I got from China may break faster....because it was cheap....so did I really save money? Only time will tell....

If you can afford an official XBOX 360 or XBOX ONE wired controller, you are probably better off getting a real one.

To reiterate again the only reason I'm pushing the XBOX wired controller is for overall game compatibility and ease of use. Wired makes it plug and play with Steam Big Picture mode, and many games that have "full controller support"....it is often because they released their game on XBOX as well as PC. So they were built with an XBOX controller layout already. Windows is the dominant OS out there and Microsoft owns Windows and XBOX. So games released on PC and XBOX are often designed to use and recognize an XBOX controller....

It just makes things complicated sometimes with some games when you are trying to use a non-XBOX controller with the game, because the game was designed to think the only gamepad in existence is an XBOX gamepad.....it can still be done without an XBOX controller, but it may be a pain in the butt.

I was just recommending the EASIEST option with the least amount of additional work involved. Not everyone is a tech nerd, some people just want stuff to work out of the box....

Really? Well, when it comes to money, there is the "not able to buy" & "not advisable to buy just yet". I'm not prone to drop a $100 on myself in one lump when there are birthdays, holidays, and the like to take into consideration. My Steam account, for instance, has exactly one game on it, TLD. LOL So, these are splurges that I don't take in huge chunks too often, and yes, I am calling $100 that for my own purposes. 

Sounds like a good analogy to me. Not wanting nor expecting it to all get rolled up and done with in a short amount of time. I like to take it all in. 

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

I was just recommending the EASIEST option with the least amount of additional work involved. Not everyone is a tech nerd, some people just want stuff to work out of the box....

And that right there is what I'm looking for. I could certainly eventually figure it all out, but why do so if I have the alternative to truly "plug & play".

9 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I do my best to try to remember where the dot WAS in reference to the bow before aiming. I think I also paused gameplay videos of like @GELtazhunting to see where the dot was....

Hahaha, I do the same thing and like you don't move an inch and then aim and shoot. Never works unless you're lucky, lol. I don't care much about it. I'm never in a situation where I need a bow, lol. I never play Interloper anymore because it's too much like work to me :D I get enough work at home and at work.

2 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Hahaha, I do the same thing and like you don't move an inch and then aim and shoot. Never works unless you're lucky, lol. I don't care much about it. I'm never in a situation where I need a bow, lol. I never play Interloper anymore because it's too much like work to me :D I get enough work at home and at work.

Oh I love the bow....simply because it weighs 0.50 kilos....you know so I can hoard more loot....;)

8 hours ago, Thrasador said:

That being said, I do find that many games that "claim" to have full controller support....like Mad Max for instance, they seem to often default to an XBOX controller layout. I had a problem with Mad Max for a while getting it to recognize my PS4 controller. Sometimes when I started the game up it would default to XBOX key-presses which can make things confusing. Just Csuse 2 did the same thing....

Why can't they make one universal controller for crying out loud? I'll tell you why, 'cause they're all greedy mofos and it's a scam, a money grab.

21 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Why can't they make one universal controller for crying out loud? I'll tell you why, 'cause they're all greedy mofos and it's a scam, a money grab.

Well my PS4 controller still worked....the game was just telling me to press buttons that are only on an XBOX controller....sometimes...

So you can still use a bunch of different controllers with the game....

Like I said though a lot of PC Windows titles are also on XBOX because Microsoft owns them both, so when they say "full controller support" they aern't really lying.....but they meam XBOX controller specifically. Like for Mad Max they had a controller button map you could look at, to see what button does what in the game, but it was a picture of an XBOX controller with all it's buttons labled. There wasn't separate pictures for PS4 and Steam controllers though, because they aren't going to take a picture of every controller in the universe and label it for use under the controller options menu in the game.....they probably just went with XBOX because it was also an XBOX title.

I was just saying it seems that often times, for the reasons I described above, full controller support often refers to XBOX controllers by default....especially if it's a game on PC and XBOX.

Since Playstation is owned by Sony and they don't make a computer OS (like Windiws), their controller layout probably isn't going to be the default layout in most PC games....

6 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Why can't they make one universal controller for crying out loud?

Well, they can and do.. but most people these days think they're too old-fashioned. But when it comes to controllers, I'll take one of these over a console-style controller every time. Feels more natural in my "old-fashioned" hands. And no matter what brand it is, no matter how fancy it looks or how many buttons it has, they all work exactly the same!

May I introduce you to the humble joystick... This is what the one I have looks like.

saitekevo.jpg

(and no, I don't use it for TLD.. keyboard and mouse does me just fine for that)

Archived