Stormwolf1O1

Race to the Summit

Recommended Posts

Time for a new community challenge, folks!

This time, on Stalker difficulty, we're starting at Desolation Point and running to the Summit of Timberwolf Mountain as fast as possible. If you've completed Hopeless Rescue, this should be a breeze for you. It's possible to get there in just a few in-game days, but just how quickly can it be done??

There are no restrictions on what can be looted or from where you get it, but don't spend too much time looting, as the ultimate goal is to get to the summit as fast as possible.

Once you reach the tail section, grab the Distress Pistol and fire it. The second this is done, the challenge has been completed, so go ahead and take a screenshot of your current time for proof of completion. The shortest time of completion will be the new record holder!

Current Record Holder: @Ruruwawa, with 1 Day, 11 Hours and 25 Mins

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.0d04f6f08d6b64494258adf03ce2e1cf.png

Edited by Stormwolf1O1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dammit. This sounds like yet another fun challenge. Imma have to get me some new PC so I can do this. I rarely play on Stalker due to trauma that mode did to me year and half ago... maybe this would be a good therapy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLY SHIT THAT AURORA! Did you increase the hue or contrast of the image? Or did you somehow manage to get the aurora to come out before the sun set?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ladies & gentlemen, as I have posted in another thread a couple of days ago, that challenge has been here before. It was actually the blueprint for the "hopeless rescue" challenge which is now in the game. Scyzara won it at the time, with lightning speed.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

HOLY SHIT THAT AURORA! Did you increase the hue or contrast of the image? Or did you somehow manage to get the aurora to come out before the sun set?

Used a mod, set the time to 7 (when the sun starts setting, sky gets orange and pretty), then turned Aurora on. This resulted. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Ladies & gentlemen, as I have posted in another thread a couple of days ago, that challenge has been here before. It was actually the blueprint for the "hopeless rescue" challenge which is now in the game. Scyzara won it at the time, with lightning speed.

Hopeless Rescue requires you to go from Trapper's Cabin in ML to the TWM Summit, then to Desolation Point. This is a different route from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Ladies & gentlemen, as I have posted in another thread a couple of days ago, that challenge has been here before. It was actually the blueprint for the "hopeless rescue" challenge which is now in the game. Scyzara won it at the time, with lightning speed.

And by doing so, earning the "Queen of the Mountain" tag :) 

It was an awesome challenge, and still is of course. It would be great to find the old thread for the newcomers to have some reference to beat. 

Edit: IIRC the original challenge implied getting back to the Lighthouse and firing another flare, right?

Edited by Ohbal
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Used a mod, set the time to 7 (when the sun starts setting, sky gets orange and pretty), then turned Aurora on. This resulted. :) 

UModTLD? Damn, I can't get the aurora to work with that. I use Developer Console but with that it auto sets it to night when I activate the aurora.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm done...

To be honest I'm not happy with my time- but I can totally blame that on not finding decent clothing without looting a ton of Coastal Highway...and not finding a sewing kit until Mountaineers Hut.

I'm very happy with my loot!

An unintentional good start to a new Stalker LP.

For the record anyone could beat my time.

I will say though I had some tense moments...and somehow (will have to check the footage) was not actually attacked- I was wolf mauled in my first attempt.

I will edit the footage together...in hopes that someone enjoys it as much as I did to play it!

screen_7fc3a707-8a2c-4240-9426-9dbf5695576b.png

screen_8e5fd918-363f-4712-af56-e02478694d50.png

screen_b69b9438-2116-48a6-9d63-0e7c407dbc24.png

Edited by RossBondReturns
Spelling Errors
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Time for a new community challenge, folks!

This time, on Stalker difficulty, we're starting at Desolation Point and running to the Summit of Timberwolf Mountain as fast as possible. If you've completed Hopeless Rescue, this should be a breeze for you. It's possible to get there in just a few in-game days, but just how quickly can it be done??

 

Actually there was first the exact Challenge which you are proposing and which (most likely) was the basis for the Hopeless Rescue Challenge:

Queen of the Mountain is @Scyzara - note that the times are for Lighthouse DP->Summit->back to Lighthouse DP ;)

1. Scyzara ................................. 1 Day, 5 Hours, 3 minutes

2. Selfless .................................. 1 Day 8 Hours, 45 minutes

3. HoustonWebster ...................... 1 Day, 10 Hours, 41 Minutes

4. Cowboymrh ............................ 1 Day, 13 Hours, 14 Minutes

5. Nettaros ................................ 1 Day, 13 Hours, 44 Minutes

6. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 14 Hours, 35 Minutes

7. Thinair .................................. 1 Day 15 Hours, 28 Minutes

8. ChillPlayer ............................... 1 Day, 18 Hours, 56 Minutes

9. Trashmobb .............................. 1 Day, 21 Hours, 28 Minutes

10. LucidFugue ...........................  1 Day, 23 Hours, 41 Minutes

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

UModTLD? Damn, I can't get the aurora to work with that. I use Developer Console but with that it auto sets it to night when I activate the aurora.

"Ctrl + A" is what toggles it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Actually there was first the exact Challenge which you are proposing and which (most likely) was the basis for the Hopeless Rescue Challenge:

Queen of the Mountain is @Scyzara - note that the times are for Lighthouse DP->Summit->back to Lighthouse DP ;)

1. Scyzara ................................. 1 Day, 5 Hours, 3 minutes

2. Selfless .................................. 1 Day 8 Hours, 45 minutes

3. HoustonWebster ...................... 1 Day, 10 Hours, 41 Minutes

4. Cowboymrh ............................ 1 Day, 13 Hours, 14 Minutes

5. Nettaros ................................ 1 Day, 13 Hours, 44 Minutes

6. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 14 Hours, 35 Minutes

7. Thinair .................................. 1 Day 15 Hours, 28 Minutes

8. ChillPlayer ............................... 1 Day, 18 Hours, 56 Minutes

9. Trashmobb .............................. 1 Day, 21 Hours, 28 Minutes

10. LucidFugue ...........................  1 Day, 23 Hours, 41 Minutes

Thanks for showing me. Honestly thought I had come up with a fun, original challenge, but I guess somebody else had the same idea! Oh well. Anyone who wants to try this version anyway still can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ohbal said:

Edit: IIRC the original challenge implied getting back to the Lighthouse and firing another flare, right?

Apparently so. This challenge doesn't involve returning to DP, just staying at the Summit and firing it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

Well I'm done...

To be honest I'm not happy with my time- but I can totally blame that on not finding decent clothing without looting a ton of Coastal Highway...and not finding a sewing kit until Mountaineers Hut.

I'm very happy with my loot!

An unintentional good start to a new Stalker LP.

For the record anyone could beat my time.

I will say though I had some tense moments...and somehow (will have to check the footage) was not actually attacked- I was wolf mauled in my first attempt.

I will edit the footage together...in hopes that someone enjoys it as much as I did to play it!

screen_7fc3a707-8a2c-4240-9426-9dbf5695576b.png

screen_8e5fd918-363f-4712-af56-e02478694d50.png

screen_b69b9438-2116-48a6-9d63-0e7c407dbc24.png

Great job! I'm happy to see that despite this challenge already having been thought up and posted by somebody else, essentially, that someone still wanted to give my version a try. :) Seeing as how you're currently the only one to attempt it, you're the new record holder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

"Ctrl + A" is what toggles it for me.

Yeah hotkeys aren't working for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really, really miss the days/hours survived - especially since the day count from the Log (as@RossBondReturns shows) is so out of whack with the day count from Stats.  Comparison from my interloper sandbox, not this challenge. 

59b323aa84d02_datemismatch.thumb.jpg.31db0418535deecb4ae8234d5fac36af.jpg

For this challenge I'd go for the stats... makes you look better. :D 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I really, really miss the days/hours survived

Me too!  It makes testing much more difficult, and in some cases nearly impossible.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

especially since the day count from the Log (as@RossBondReturns shows) is so out of whack with the day count from Stats.

It is out of whack, and it is misleading.  Here are the two key elements:

  1. The Days Survived won't go to 1 until 24 hours have passed since the start of the game, so the journal is always ahead.
  2. The days in the journal turn over when the moon reaches it's apex (highest point).  So, the point at which Day 2 in the journal begins for any individual game, will be the first time the moon reaches its apex.  This means every game played will have a variance in the difference between Days Survived and the Days in the Journal, depending on what time of day that game began.
     

Moon just after reaching its apex:

59b32e8880621_tld2017-09-0818-49-36-70.jpg.e4d8655a595d9ee6b2524e0dd7b24ad2.jpg

Edited by Timber Wolf
Out of whack!
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

It is out of whack, and it is misleading.  Here are the two key elements:

  1. The Days Survived won't go to 1 until 24 hours have passed since the start of the game, so the journal is always ahead.
  2. The days in the journal turn over when the moon reaches it's apex (highest point).  So, the point at which Day 2 in the journal begins for any individual game, will be the first time the moon reaches its apex.  This means every game played will have a variance in the difference between Days Survived and the Days in the Journal, depending on what time of day that game began.
     

Moon just after reaching its apex:

59b32e8880621_tld2017-09-0818-49-36-70.jpg.e4d8655a595d9ee6b2524e0dd7b24ad2.jpg

I'd be happy if the Stats tab showed "survived" like on the sandbox select screen, instead of "days survived".

survived.jpg.208f9ad43faa278f81d2130d2f0ec440.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I'd be happy if the Stats tab showed "survived" like on the sandbox select screen, instead of "days survived".

survived.jpg.208f9ad43faa278f81d2130d2f0ec440.jpg

I would be too!  Unfortunately, you're post will probably point out to the dev team that they missed removing those hours/minutes from the game and we won't even be able to see that any more.  Nice job!  :D

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timber Wolf said:

I would be too!  Unfortunately, you're post will probably point out to the dev team that they missed removing those hours/minutes from the game and we won't even be able to see that any more.  Nice job!  :D

Well I hope that's not the conclusion they reach.  I actually like the sun/moon time while playing... it's really immersive.  But digging into the UI to learn the elapsed time since you started a sandbox or challenge?  No immersion in the Stats pane begin with (Hours awake?  Would anyone measure that in a real life situation like this?) so I don't see how this info would break the experience.  

Edited by Ruruwawa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ruruwawa said:

I actually like the sun/moon time while playing... it's really immersive.

I do too.  This was a change I'd been hoping for all along.  Nobody can actually tell what time it is - not to the minute - so why should we have that available in our stats?

However, I remain a conflicted TLD player (and analyst), because I want to test everything! :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Thanks for showing me. Honestly thought I had come up with a fun, original challenge, but I guess somebody else had the same idea! Oh well. Anyone who wants to try this version anyway still can.

Don't be that hursh on yourself. I may not be absolutely original but its a pretty good challenge. As I said, it isn't less fun to do just because someone tried it first.

I'm still amazed by the record holders (which are pretty darn close). Thanks @ChillPlayer for digging them out! Edit: re-reading the whole thread is also a great learning experience. The progression in how to attack the route was really enlightening in terms of how to move across these regions.

But looks like its also confusing to share your current "end time" with the current game mechanics :( 

Edited by Ohbal
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a great path...interrupted with way too much time spent having to loot houses in Coastal Highway.

I also had to cancel a planned attack on the summit a day and a half earlier due to a blaster of a blizzard!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now