Commonly Used Abbreviations Please?

CitrinePeridot

Ok, you experienced Forum members & players of TLD. I am in need of some of the commonly used abbreviations within this forum. PLEASE. (LOL) I sometimes find myself not knowing what one refers to even after using context clues within the dialogue. So, can some of you please let us really new, new members know what some of those are? I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you.

Just now, CitrinePeridot said:

*palm to forehead* Of course! LOL Ok. Thank you.

thats to funny. if you think YOU are embarassed, I was reading through just now, and I had no idea til i scrolled down and read the answer. 700 plus hours in the game....   Don't EVER feel silly for asking for clarification of something to make sure you know whats being talked about. 

9 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

*palm to forehead* Of course! LOL Ok. Thank you.

Don't feel bad, lol. I didn't know what it was at first either. When I read Timber Wolf's first Old Bear The Hunted  story I had no idea what he meant. After reading through it all though I finally figured it out because I think he actually says at one point in his story that he prepared the OMB for his injuries or something, and then I was like 'ahhhhh, right!' :D

I figured what OMB is on my own because I was too embarrased to ask, but daaaamn it took me a while before I realized it! It probably really helped that it was used in a story where the person was talking about bandaging, and putting it together with that I was able to crack open that mystery.

Another one I personally use a lot is OP - this has nothign to do with the game, thats a general forum abbreviation - means "original poster" - as in, the person who made the thread. Obviously in a different context it also means "overpowered".
To put it in difference:
Rifle is OP - means overpowered.
OP wrote he was playing on a Interloper difficulty - means original poster.

NPC - this one is also pretty common, means non player character, but I guess most gamers know that one well.

What I think is something most people have a problem with is the different conversions - its often seen that american forumers will use their measurements rather then the IS (international system) ones. For example, difference between gallons and liters, which is (I believe) 0,6 gallon to 1 liter in game, or difference between Farrenheits and Celsius (dont know that one from the top of my mind).

I have also seen someone use CT for cattails, but I think that was only one person at some point.
Thats all I can think of.

54 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I'm an American, but for the sake of this game the metric system just makes more sense in my opinion....

Also much easier.  I started using American values, but I switched.   The whole "2.2 lbs" thing and odd fractions of pounds in the inventory got irritating.  And the Feels Like is easier on metric: above 0?  Good.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎09 at 2:56 PM, Prestermatt said:

Also much easier.  I started using American values, but I switched.   The whole "2.2 lbs" thing and odd fractions of pounds in the inventory got irritating.  And the Feels Like is easier on metric: above 0?  Good.

The metric system is great :D 

25 minutes ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Whaddaya mean? You don't like having to divide the Celsius Temperature by 1/32 and the. take the cosine of the tangent of that number to find Fahrenheit? :D

Yes. And I don't know why people insist it's better 9_9

To really mess with everyone the temperatures should all be in Kelvin! That way if it ever reached 0 you'd know that it was absolutely freezing! :D

12 hours ago, CalNieDaGtarGuy said:

Whaddaya mean? You don't like having to divide the Celsius Temperature by 1/32 and the. take the cosine of the tangent of that number to find Fahrenheit? :D

For temps above freezing it's not that hard if you use an easier but less precise conversion.  F=(c*2) + 30.   The other direction: C = (F-30) /2.   For example 22c works out to 74F.  I think the actual conversion is 71.6F, but it's close enough for talking about the weather or baking.   For temps below 32F, time to ask google lol.  

In TLD I just use metric.  Real life too... it's soooo much simpler than medieval pint of newt and 1/8 cup of frog toes for cooking.  Just toss a bowl on the scale and measure everything into it in grams... done!

23 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Real life too... it's soooo much simpler than medieval pint of newt and 1/8 cup of frog toes for cooking.  Just toss a bowl on the scale and measure everything into it in grams... done!

Except when all of your recipes are purely in teaspoons and cups, and you have to convert everything...

53 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

Except when all of your recipes are purely in teaspoons and cups, and you have to convert everything...

That's one weird part about living in Canada. Mass is almost universally metric as are speed, temperature, distance, etc. but building supplies and baking are still in imperial units. Probably due to all of the cross border traffic :D

7 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

Heh.. that's easy.. 1 teaspoon = 5ml, 1 tablespoon = 20ml, 1 cup =250ml. At least, that's how it works in Australia.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Heh.. that's easy.. 1 teaspoon = 5ml, 1 tablespoon = 20ml, 1 cup =250ml. At least, that's how it works in Australia.

That works for volume, but not weight.  I need to know what 1 cup of flour weighs, 1tsp baking soda,, 1Tbsp salt, etc.  I'm sure that information is readily accessible, but I'm lazy and have a well-stocked drawer of measuring cups and spoons.  Inertia, I guess.

Archived