Stretching resources - a thought experiment

Cray

2 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I just sprint to the item, grab exactly one item and sprint out.  I'm careful to look behind me so I know first what I'm sprinting toward on the return leg.  Probably goes without saying, but I'm not encumbered (usually a few kilos under, so I don't get encumbered after I pick items up), winded or tired when I do it.

Good to know.  I've done very little beach combing.

2 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I never do this, but then I've done the majority of my beach combing on interloper.  I prefer not to get frostbite risk, or fall in and get hypothermia.  :D 

I was wondering about this, especially after Day 50 in Interloper when the temps are at their coldest.

8 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

I was wondering about this, especially after Day 50 in Interloper when the temps are at their coldest.

It's why I limit myself to one item per sprint.  It's possible to grab more than one at a time, but if you mess up your timing just a little you're going for a swim.  I'd probably take more risks on an easier difficulty.

I wonder if you can use the "move item" function to more safely collect items on thin ice. I'm sure I saw Geltaz do it but I don't think it is any safer. I'll have to give it a go.

One thing that just occurred to me as a means to save cloth is to wear more items and repair less often. For example:

1 wool toque repaired at 80% = between 2 and 1.6 deg C warmth for 0.25kg, costing approx 1 cloth every 30 days

2 wool toques repaired at 40% = between 4 and 1.6 deg C warmth for 0.50kg, costing approx 2 cloth every 90 days (or 1 per 45 days)

This only works because you can get +75% per repair (I think) for a wool toque. The downside is the risk that one will be destroyed in a fight, plus the additional weight. These are the things I think about while waiting for a blizzard to pass!

12 minutes ago, Cray said:

I wonder if you can use the "move item" function to more safely collect items on thin ice. I'm sure I saw Geltaz do it but I don't think it is any safer. I'll have to give it a go.

Actually, I would rather reccomend @Ruruwawa´s method then this. It does make a small difference in time, because in order to normally pick something up, you get to click on it twice with left mouse button (to get the item window, and once more to close it) - but to Move item it only takes one right mouse button. 
HOWEVER
as far as I know, you cannot sprint while moving item, if you do it will be returned back. So, better to just sprint in, grab the item, and sprint out.

I am not a great beachcomber, but I do it occasionally. Then again, I dont live in Coastal most of the time. There is something I wanted to test out for a long time, but never got around to do it - how often do things respawn during beachcombing?

I think I tried to test this once but got side tracked by a rush for some of that bear blood... only thing I established is that it is not a daily thing. Anyone knows the times?

31 minutes ago, Cray said:

One thing that just occurred to me as a means to save cloth is to wear more items and repair less often.

I'm not really a math-y person, more of a rule-of-thumb person.  I try to maintain four hats as insurance against losing one or both to a predator, and my rule-of-thumb is to wear my two best wool toques.  I check my stored hats periodically and when one gets to 25% I repair it and wear it.  The toque it replaces goes to storage.

17 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

how often do things respawn during beachcombing?

From what I've observed, the spawn logic for beach combing items seems similar to how feathers spawn near preset carcasses and corpses.  The first time you wander past there may be nothing, but you might see something the next day.  The more trips down the beach, the more items will appear.   

Once you pick something up, it takes a few days for something to respawn in that same spot.   I've never actually timed it, but it feels similar to the feather respawn rate.

Archived