Where to find bullets

Stedmister

There's always the old "scare a deer towards a wolf, let the wolf kill the deer, then scare off the wolf and steal the deer" method.

I'm told that finding old spawned-in carcasses and harvesting them also counts towards completing the lesson.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Stedmister said:

got that now i'm at the bear, just ouside the cabin after going through that dialog that bear will not leave, and I'm out bullets

Do you have the distress pistol from the dam?  Fire a round into the bear, he'll definitely leave. :D

For bullets, once I was on the bear part of the quest there was a small cache of bullets in the next area you follow him to after the cabin.  A metal box by a big rock IIRC.

30 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Do you have the distress pistol from the dam?  Fire a round into the bear, he'll definitely leave. :D

For bullets, once I was on the bear part of the quest there was a small cache of bullets in the next area you follow him to after the cabin.  A metal box by a big rock IIRC.

I will try that dang that bear tough, die like 6 times, found some bullets

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I haven’t yet done “the bear shoot” that everyone is “gloating” about :) but I do have a problem similar to the original poster.  I have no flare canisters left for the flaregun, and I have ONE bullet left.  I might add that only ONCE, in survivor did I kill a bear with one shot.  Anyone know my odds of finding, or nicking more bullets or can I go further into the dam by opening the door during a aurora to find ammo?  Am I dead in the water and the bear lives?

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

Okay, I haven’t yet done “the bear shoot” that everyone is “gloating” about :) but I do have a problem similar to the original poster.  I have no flare canisters left for the flaregun, and I have ONE bullet left.  I might add that only ONCE, in survivor did I kill a bear with one shot.  Anyone know my odds of finding, or nicking more bullets or can I go further into the dam by opening the door during a aurora to find ammo?  Am I dead in the water and the bear lives?

Dont know bout the storymode bears (never made it past Milton before my PC died on me), but in Survival, it should take a single bullet to kill a bear. You dont have to insta-kill them - simply hitting the animal (ideally from a safe spot) and letting it run around, bleeding is enough. It is possible to kill every animal in the game with a single shot, from both bow or rifle. Even signal pistol can be used (in fact, signal pistol is a bear killer - if you manage to hit the animal and let the flare stick to their body, they will be scared away and it will cause MASSIVE bleeding - the animal will die very fast. 

I noticed during Milton houses looting that you can find flare shots tucked away in hidden places, like behind wardrobes etc - this is similar to my experience with collecting bullets in Survival mode, they are always tucked away in a corner beneath something. I would expect its the same with rifle rounds.

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

Now that I’ve started the bear hunt, bullets are picked up, but not many.  My problem, because I didn’t know, was I left my rifle at the camp office... needlessly, I barely made it back alive to fetch the gun.

I think you have to search better, because i have 37 bullets left after i killed the bear, i used 6 or 7 bullets to kill him

59cbe9a3d00da_TheLongDark_20170927200844.thumb.jpg.b8534b3f672c76bd20b46fac348fdd4c.jpg

59cbe8e7f2488_TheLongDark_20170927200526.thumb.jpg.4d58dbf81d2ad82a63d124ad43525502.jpg

We are receiving at least 10 bullets from Jeremiah, there is at least 6 bullets in the cabin where we find the rifle, there is 5 bullets in the mystery lake cabin no. 1, the key is on a dead forrest talker near the radio tower near jeremiah's hideout, and when you are on the bear hunt, there is at least 5 bullets in containers around the places where the bear will be, that's all i remember :).

Edit.

Oh, and just want to say that i went indoors after each hit shot, so i could save it, if i missed i quitted the game and started from when i saved the hit shot, a great way to save ammo :) and i haven't used the rifle in this playthrough to hunt deer or wolves, so i have only used 6-7 bullets on the bear.

Edit.

This picture is from when i started the bear hunt:

59cbf0714dd6e_TheLongDark_20170927173138.thumb.jpg.4149debdcf0bf4f65e2b68a633447288.jpg

On 28.9.2017 at 2:52 AM, Dougie said:

I did lots of hunting before starting the bear hunt and basically cleaned out the bullet stashes in Mystery Lake, so I was sweating  bullets, so to speak. Now  I feel I’m good....

I'm a bit hoarder :D and saving my bullets, but i don't know what i'm saving them for, it's just making the survival a bit harder for me, because instead of shooting a dear i have to search for a dead one or chase a dear towards wolves, so it is a bit silly :)

Archived